durian trees

As you have irrigation this problem is solved already.
I would think about a higher planting in ridges or hills to avoid waterlogging during rainy season.
For the fruit set you can spray chemical or natural hormones if necessary.

16 hours ago, CLW said:

As you have irrigation this problem is solved already.
I would think about a higher planting in ridges or hills to avoid waterlogging during rainy season.
For the fruit set you can spray chemical or natural hormones if necessary.

Good advise about planting on high ground, ridges or hills. Durian trees are highly susceptible to "crown rot" from "water mold" pathogen infection, Phythophthora cinnamomi or related species. There is no cure for advanced infections that decay the sapwood and cut off uptake of water and nutrients. 

Din nieaw, poorly drained soil may be good for wet land rice, but it is not good for durian or avocado or other tree species that can't take excessive soil moisture at the base of the tree trunk. Good draining sandy loam soil will be a better bet for growing conditions. 

Edited by drtreelove
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 10:58 AM, zlodnick said:

Durian seedlings are sold all over Issan, but I've never heard of anyone being successful and producing a single fruit.

They say it's the weather.

Don't let uninformed opinions deter you.

Below from my Buriram Isaan garden.

Durian likes a well-drained but moist soil, do not plant in clay or other sticky stuff.

Lots of organic material and partial shade will do it.

After three or four years will start to produce, you will need to be vigilant with the trees, very soft wood, lots of pests.

Jackfruit grows like weeds, get yourself a pink or orange grafted variety.

Best regards

IMG_5448.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

well mrs highlander has planted a few jackfruit trres on a well drained part of the land. and is going to get in touch with a guy who has planted a lot  of durian on his farm in the ubon area.

the land beside the house is not well drained or has sandy soil, so we have given that one a miss.

thanks guys for the info scotty

4 hours ago, Thian said:

Best is to plant a few durians of different variety together so they pollinate eachother. 

Correct, sometimes I hand pollinate them in the evening as the flowers open.

Not that difficult.