Obtaining a Non-Imm O-A Retirement Visa in Oz after many previous METV visas

Previously I posted about the concern I had applying for another METV, after previously having 4 METV and 1 3EntryTV over 3 yrs. Yes, almost living here.

I thought I'd share my experience in obtaining an O-A in Australia. I knew I would need a Police Check certificate, but was unsure which one I needed. National Police Check certificate, VicPol Police check or Australian Federal Police certificate. The info on the Thai Consulate and Embassy sites said I required a Police Name Check certificate, with no further info. I phoned the Thai Consulate in Sydney but with the numerous menu options there was none to personally speak to anyone or leave a message. I emailed twice over 4 days, both unanswered. I then tried Canberra Thai Embassy, again no response. I then called Melb Thai Consulate who I'd previously used for METVs, but do not handle Non-Imm O-A applications, and on their phone menu options, they mentioned that they were unable to assist with any visa enquiries not undertaken by their office. Only Sydney and Canberra process Non-Imm O-A visa applications in Australia. So google and some calls to police authorities I was able to ascertain that for immigration purposes I needed an AFP Police Check certificate. 3-4 weeks processing time, and Easter in the middle, so up to 5 weeks.

I then looked at the visa requirements for Sydney and Canberra and not the same. Sydney Thai Consulate required one original and two extra copies of application. Standard Thai Medical Certificate, flight booking details for BKK, Bank Statement with minimum Bt800k or equiv. in AUD$. $275 visa fee, same cost of an METV visa, and return stamped addressed envelope to return passport. Processing time 3 days.

Canberra Thai Embassy required three originals of all paperwork (not copies), certified by a Notary and all three copies professionally bound by a Notary. Besides a bank statement, also required a certified Bank Balance statement signed by bank manager. Processing time 5-7 business days.

So the choice was simple, Sydney.

After having to change flights once due to myself not having researched how long the police check would take, I was concerned that I wouldn't get my passport and visa back in time, due to unanswered emails and not being able to contact them.

But thankfully received two business days before my return flight back to Bangkok. All done and now my new visa will give me up to two years validity by leaving and returning just prior to the one year visa expiring.

Overall a simple process except for nil communications from my emails, and had I chosen the wrong Police Check certificate I would have lost my $275 application fee and had additional cost changing my flight again.. In the end, all ok.. [emoji4]

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I thought I'd share my experience in obtaining an O-A in Australia.

Good info thanks!

Just wondering how you get 2 years out of this extension please?

Before end of 12 months you leave by airport or border and when you return it’s extended again? How’s that work?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

Just wondering how you get 2 years out of this extension please?
Before end of 12 months you leave by airport or border and when you return it’s extended again? How’s that work?

It is not an extension. It is a visa that allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue.

Just leave and re-enter the country by land or air prior to the visas expiration date to get a new one year entry.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not an extension. It is a visa that allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue.

Ahh makes sence thanks.

Seems for me a good way to stay long term is to apply in Australian and get 2 years in Thailand.

Every 2 years return for a holiday in Australian for a week or two and apply for another visa.

Good things, money left in Australia (800K) and just the AUD$275 visa fee. Also, sounds like I can leave and return as many time if I like. Nice :)

I understand if you do an extension based on retirement in Thailand that extension does not allow mulitple exits without some other requirement (not sure what).

Cheers.

6 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

Good things, money left in Australia (800K) and just the AUD$275 visa fee. Also, sounds like I can leave and return as many time if I like. Nice :)

After the visa expires you would need a re-entry permit to keep the last one year entry valid if you want to travel. A single costs 1000 baht and a multiple 3800.

6 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

I understand if you do an extension based on retirement in Thailand that extension does not allow mulitple exits without some other requirement (not sure what).

Same re-entry permit to keep it valid if you want to travel.

• Like 1

Just a thought, if you need a police check everytime you apply for this visa, I wonder if you can apply outside of Australia otherwise that holiday in Oz might be extended up to 5 weeks or more.

Edited by BaanOz

7 hours ago, BaanOz said:

Just a thought, if you need a police check everytime you apply for this visa, I wonder if you can apply outside of Australia otherwise that holiday in Oz might be extended up to 5 weeks or more.

Generally the non-imm O-A can only be applied for in your home country or country of legal residence,

After you've exploited the two years  stay in Thailand on one O-A visa, you can apply for a yearly extension of stay at immigration in Thailand. Some people prefer to get a new visa, but for most it's easier just to rely on annual extensions in Thailand rather than go back to your home country and go through the process of getting a new visa.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BaanOz said:

That's because a permission to stay or an extension of stay is not a visa although some people will incorrectly refer to it as a visa (and become angry if corrected).

A valid visa, such as the non-imm O-A for one year after it's issued, allows you to ENTER Thailand. The permission to stay given you by immigration when you enter Thailand or the extension of that permission allows you to remain IN Thailand.

So once your visa expires you might still have permission to remain in Thailand, but if you want to exit and return while maintaining your permission to stay, you would need a re-entry permit because at that point you do not have a valid visa.

Your permission to stay in Thailand can be extended (if you qualify), but a visa is never extended.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, owenm said:

I needed an AFP Police Check certificate. 3-4 weeks processing time, and Easter in the middle, so up to 5 weeks.

OMG, 3-5 weeks for a police certificate. In the US, I walked into the county office and a clerk  issued me a police clearance for free in 10 minutes. If somebody is applying from US, I would advise them to go to county clerk office. They can search criminal conviction and issue you a police certificate and Washington embassy is accepting it. 

Edited by onera1961

2 minutes ago, Rawairat said:

This was on retirement or marriage non O visa.

Marriage Non O visa is a different beast. It is called O-A (long stay visa) and for retirement though Thai embassy does not call it retirement visa because there is no such beast. :). There is another long stay visa O-X. Requirements are more stringent but it gives you 5 year of stay. As Thai embassy does not call it retirement visa, I guess technically you don't have to retire to get one. 

Edited by onera1961

don't have to get them bound by a Notary. Stapled together or held with a paper clip satisfies their requirement for "bound together" at least at the consulate in Sydney.

When I went through the process last December,  the requirement was one original and two copies with all three sets certified by a JP or notary. Have to have rocks in your head to use a notary when JP services are free at most libraries. My only difficulty with the whole process was the JP would certify the two copies as true copies but wouldn't stamp the originals as a "true copy" for obvious reasons. I got around that by making a third copy of everything and getting that certified the next day. I then submitted the three certified copies to the Sydney Consulate and kept the originals. I was asked which docs were the originals when the girl at the lodging counter couldn't determine which set was the original after trying to smudge the ink on all the covers. No big surprise there.  I pointed to one set and shrugged which satisfied her.  If i were to go through the process again, I would try and coax the JP into stamping the originals despite what the stamp says.

15 minutes ago, Rawairat said:

Did not know about the extra year if you return to Thailand just prior to the visa expiring, I have only ever been given 3 months.  This was on retirement or marriage non O visa.

non immigrant 'O' visa and the one in the OP a non immigrant 'O' 'A' visa are 2 different beasts.

OP, you will find the police check is a national police check no matter who issues it, each state or federal can issue them and have different processing times but its the same document. It wouldn't be much use if it only covered your record for the issuing state.

Also, the notary public isnt strictly enforced, I did an OA in Sydney with the notary public wax seal and ribbons etc, 2 weeks later a friend did his and got a JP to sign each page and it went through ok.

I did my AFP check online from Thailand before returning to OZ.

It cost $45 and was returned clear within 48 hours by email.

I did the medical check (by appointment) and the JP notarizations at the local courthouse, stapled them together and into the registered mail to Canberra by 11am.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2018 at 4:13 PM, Suradit69 said:

Generally the non-imm O-A can only be applied for in your home country or country of legal residence,

After you've exploited the two years  stay in Thailand on one O-A visa, you can apply for a yearly extension of stay at immigration in Thailand. Some people prefer to get a new visa, but for most it's easier just to rely on annual extensions in Thailand rather than go back to your home country and go through the process of getting a new visa.

Thanks Suradit, was thinking a reason to go visit the relos in Australia every 2 years plus good not having the 800K in a Thai bank.

Although, I have read at the Australian Embassy just a signature on a statutary declaration with no evidence of the 65K/month income. So my second point of showing 800K baht is a pointless! :)

2 hours ago, BaanOz said:

Although, I have read at the Australian Embassy just a signature on a statutary declaration with no evidence of the 65K/month income.

Remember that an IO can ask for evidence of the 65K income.