Sound Latency Problems With Bluetooth Speaker and Laptop

Speedo1968

I run Win7 original on a PC.

I have a USB dongle - Avantree BlueSoleil 9.2.496.11 with latest driver.

I use a JBL speaker.

When watching downloaded TV series or films there is a sound latency problem, which sometimes is bad enough to make conversation in the video useless.

Sometimes the lag becomes longer the longer the video is played.

I had a similar problem when using an Anitech speaker.

Signal strength is close to strong.

When using a cable link there is no sound latency problem.

I am not a techie but have looked online for solutions, either they are very long winded or those solutions I have managed to understand have not worked.

Can anyone suggest ways to try to solve the problem or do I have to buy a more expensive dongle ?

Most likely it's your speaker as well as your dongle. Most Bluetooth speakers have a significant lag which is most noticeable when paired with video. The latest Bluetooth 4.2 technology appearing in newer devices minimizes this substantially, if you're lucky you may be able to get a firmware update.

• Like 1

A decent media player such as VLC will allow you to adjust the audio delay.

https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_HowTo/Adjust_audio_delay/

And it may be that simply using VLC will result in a much better experience even without adjusting the delay, as some combinations of codecs and players simply dont work very well.

I often watch movies using a small bluetooth receiver with a plugged in headphone that picks up a bluetooth signal from my media player on the other side of the room. There is an inherent lag with bluetooth that puts video and sound out of sync by delaying audio by about 150 milliseconds. However I don't have that problem because I use the Kodi media player which allows you to adjust sync between video and audio. As mentioned you can also do that with VLC player.

On 4/24/2018 at 10:43 AM, KittenKong said:

And it may be that simply using VLC will result in a much better experience even without adjusting the delay, as some combinations of codecs and players simply dont work very well.

Thanks KittenKong

I normally use VLC so will give that a try today.

On 4/24/2018 at 8:47 AM, clokwise said:

Most likely it's your speaker as well as your dongle. Most Bluetooth speakers have a significant lag which is most noticeable when paired with video. The latest Bluetooth 4.2 technology appearing in newer devices minimizes this substantially, if you're lucky you may be able to get a firmware update.

Yes, looks like I will have to spend a little more.

Will give KittenKong's post suggestion when using VLC then see what happens.

On 4/24/2018 at 9:32 AM, userabcd said:

Try a Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the 3.5mm audio outlet of your PC. These can be sourced for about B500 in the gadget stores. Avantree have many Bluetooth transmitters with aptX low latency.

My current dongle is from Avantree but only Wireless 4 not 4.2.

Will try KittenKongs suggestion about using VLC player settings first.

On 4/24/2018 at 8:47 AM, clokwise said:

My Avantree is Wireless 4 not 4.2 will give KittenKongs suggestion about using settings for VLC player first.

5 hours ago, trd said:

I often watch movies using a small bluetooth receiver with a plugged in headphone that picks up a bluetooth signal from my media player on the other side of the room. There is an inherent lag with bluetooth that puts video and sound out of sync by delaying audio by about 150 milliseconds. However I don't have that problem because I use the Kodi media player which allows you to adjust sync between video and audio. As mentioned you can also do that with VLC player.

Thanks for the reply.

Play videos on my laptop.  Will try settings on VLC first

18 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

My current dongle is from Avantree but only Wireless 4 not 4.2.

Will try KittenKongs suggestion about using VLC player settings first.

What I think you stated in you original post is you have a USB dongle:

DG40S

What I was suggesting was this below bluetooth audio receiver/transmitter to plug into the audio socket outlet of your PC:

Saturn Pro

Good luck trying the software options suggested.

Edited by userabcd

What I think you stated in you original post is you have a USB dongle:

1_27_20.jpg&key=f78610a5ae513a53615d87b0d3c40ef36417b188a91cd9a186e95f5f721eb972

What I was suggesting was this below bluetooth audio receiver/transmitter to plug into the audio socket outlet of your PC:

bttc-200l_saturn_pro_tr.png&key=7b7a5c310c0483c1d6955aca73600b12ece5f263d2166959d249f975b96aab8d

Good luck trying the software options suggested.

I have exactly the same receiver which I got from Lazada. But it will still have audio latency.

25 minutes ago, trd said:
6 hours ago, wgdanson said:
Maybe that's the problem, there is Windows 10 now.

No it's not Windows. It's Bluetooth audio latency. It will also happen on an Android media player.

But W10 would be a good idea for the OP, and for my Immigration Office!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 10:43 AM, KittenKong said:

Thanks KittenKong.

Sorry for delay in responding to your idea.

Have found that I can adjust Audio track synch either "delayed" or "hastened".    Works well on all videos I have tried especially downloads of old UK tv series.