SETV Nongkhai border funds.

Has anyone recently been asked to show proof of funds at the Nongkhai border when entering on a single entry tourist visa? Don’t really want to carry around 20k so  will a Thai bank statement be enough if asked? 

They would not accept a bank statement at a border, it has to be cash however the chances of you being asked at the Nong Khai border are slim

However in the current climate you never know so take the cash to be on the safe side

Is it really a big problem to carry 20,000 Bt. on one's person...especially if it may make the difference between being allowed entry into a country or not.... It's hardly a King's randson?

On the other hand, if one intends going for a couple of massages or whatever while travelling from one country to another it could be understandable.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I entered there last week to get a Visa exempt (the third in a row), everything easy, no questions asked, just got the hint that it's my second land border crossing this year and i won't get another one.

It is more than a hint. I would call it a warning to not try for a 3rd one this year or you will be denied entry unless you have a valid visa.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is more than a hint. I would call it a warning to not try for a 3rd one this year or you will be denied entry unless you have a valid visa.

I really just don't get some of these guys at all. They cross the border into Laos, what could be simpler to make their life easier and stress-free but to spend a night over there, go to the Thai Embassy and get a valid visa for 60 days?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scouse123 said:

I really just don't get some of these guys at all. They cross the border into Laos, what could be simpler to make their life easier and stress-free but to spend a night over there, go to the Thai Embassy and get a valid visa for 60 days?

Lack of cash or in a hurry to get back to the unlawful job? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Simpler and stress free? Visa exempts are way easier, cheaper, take less time and more flexible.

Depends of course always a bit on where you stay and other requirements, but in general they are.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

I wonder why people do unlawful job years after years. Can't they find a lawful job?

The agents doing visas for the Cambodians can charge about 10% of a low-paid immigrant's annual salary (according to a couple I spoke with).  But, they can avoid the visa business all together, since Cambodians, Burmese, and Laoitians can enter by land unlimited times, rules designed to facilitate them working extra-cheaply - without a proper visa and work-permit.

The only farangs who would do this are English teachers, and they report that many/most schools refuse to follow the legal process.  The authorities only arrest/deport the disposable farang-teacher, but never do anything to the Thai who hired them - though it was the Thai-employer who refused (too lazy and/or cheap) to process the paperwork.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1