Strange experience for me at Vientiane

148 is your place in the queue to pick up your passport tomorrow.You wait till your number comes up on the electronic board, (just like in the banks) you then join the queue wait in line hand in paperwork along with your 1000 baht you will be given back your passport along with a receipt for your payment.As your number 148 I expect you will have to wait about 45 minutes from when they open.Been this way at least 3 years,before you paid your money on the same day at the counter in the building adjacent,much better now than before.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

In Vientiane, it is a queue number for collection. Savannakhet is different.

Actually it isn't, it may be when you go with a visa run company and they are hurrying you through so they can get everyone back to the border however the OP has until 4 tomorrow to pick up his PP, if he went a 3 55 it is safe to say by that time that everyone would have collected their PP already so the OP will present his number and they will match it up with the numbers on top of the Passports

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bapoboy said:

I’m confused because everyone else have to wait except me, that’s why I find this so strange, I didn’t have to wait to 148 as my queue number says.

I could go straight back to my hotel the assistant said to me.

What the OP is saying is that he handed in all the paperwork got a number then was processed straight away, while everyone else had to stand in line and take their turn,  must look like Donald Trump or someone of importance like Ho Chi Minh.....................:cheesy:.

12 minutes ago, NamH2O said:

He can't collect his passport until his number is shown on the electronic board.As his number is 148 and when they open at 13-30 the first number on the board is No1,That makes him No148 in the queue.

That is correct in part however he does not have to go there at 1 30 and stand in line and wait until his number is called, he can go later if he wishes and collect then by presenting his number

1 hour ago, NamH2O said:

148 is your place in the queue to pick up your passport tomorrow.You wait till your number comes up on the electronic board, (just like in the banks) you then join the queue wait in line hand in paperwork along with your 1000 baht you will be given back your passport along with a receipt for your payment.As your number 148 I expect you will have to wait about 45 minutes from when they open.Been this way at least 3 years,before you paid your money on the same day at the counter in the building adjacent,much better now than before.

The fact you think it's 1000 baht shows you don't know. It's been 1900 for years now.

3 hours ago, bapoboy said:

I’m confused because everyone else have to wait except me, that’s why I find this so strange, I didn’t have to wait to 148 as my queue number says.

This is painful. Just do as you are told. Come back and pick up your processed passport tomorrow. The only thing 'strange' in this experience is your behaviour. Go to your hotel. Get a beer. Chill.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, NamH2O said:

He can't collect his passport until his number is shown on the electronic board.As his number is 148 and when they open at 13-30 the first number on the board is No1,That makes him No148 in the queue.

"That is correct in part however he does not have to go there at 1 30 and stand in line and wait until his number is called, he can go later if he wishes and collect then by presenting his number"

In actuality, this is correct "in full" as NamH20 says not that he must be there at 1:30 pm, but simply that when they open at 13:30 the first number on the board is No. 1... and that does in fact make him 148 in the queue. While he is not required to be there at the start with No. 1, his 148 number is his place in the queue/line. Certainly he can wait until later as you suggest, but his place "In The Queue IS 148".... and "He can't collect his passport until his number is shown on the electronic board."  Thus making the above statement, correct in full...

And yes, there IS a queue... last year when I was there, first come first served, this year... a queue. I speak from experience. Those who have not been in a while, IT IS A QUEUE... The End

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SamadhiWarrior said:

"That is correct in part however he does not have to go there at 1 30 and stand in line and wait until his number is called, he can go later if he wishes and collect then by presenting his number"

In actuality, this is correct "in full" as NamH20 says not that he must be there at 1:30 pm, but simply that when they open at 13:30 the first number on the board is No. 1... and that does in fact make him 148 in the queue. While he is not required to be there at the start with No. 1, his 148 number is his place in the queue/line. Certainly he can wait until later as you suggest, but his place "In The Queue IS 148".... and "He can't collect his passport until his number is shown on the electronic board."  Thus making the above statement, correct in full...

And yes, there IS a queue... last year when I was there, first come first served, this year... a queue. I speak from experience. Those who have not been in a while, IT IS A QUEUE... The End

I haven't been for a year and will go next month and see for myself.

Nice to know in advance thanx.

duanebigsby

"I haven't been for a year and will go next month and see for myself.

Nice to know in advance thanx."

they do move it fairly quickly.. I had 430 something last month and was out in about an hour and half... all the best on your journey..

Edited by SamadhiWarrior
original quote did not stick the first time

1 minute ago, SamadhiWarrior said:

YES, it is a queue... Yes, it is ..... YES... The End

Most of us haven't been for about a year and we have questioned it.

If we've been wrong it's being out of touch with a new change made recently.

5 minutes ago, SamadhiWarrior said:

duanebigsby

"I haven't been for a year and will go next month and see for myself.

Nice to know in advance thanx."

they do move it fairly quickly.. I had 430 something last month and was out in about an hour and half... all the best on your journey..

Done it many times, but it changes.

4 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Of course you can or did you expect to wait in the Embassy grounds until tomorrow?

I will explain it again,

You apply the first day, you have already done this, this means you can leave the Embassy grounds

You will go back tomorrow to collect

The queue number you were given IS NOT the number for the window today, you have already given your application to the 2 or 3 staff on the desk in front of the window, you DON'T have to o to the window today, you will go to the window TOMORROW to pick up your PP and that's why you have been given a number, this number is for TOMORROW not today

You have ALREADY made your application by giving it to the 2 or 3 staff on the desk

Understand now?

Some people are required to provide additional paperwork, or confirm something about their visa application....they are required to hang around until it is sorted.  Someone at the window will complete any deficiencies, and send you on your way when everything is  honky-dory.

It happened to me on one of my latest Vientiane visa runs.  Had to wait until almost closing time (closing time for lunch), to confirm my address before receiving my  "next day pickup slip".

Edited by CanuckThai
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, NamH2O said:

Duanebigby, it's you who do not know the facts,a single entry Tourist Visa is 1000 baht and has been so for years.Not 1900.

Read my retraction and apology NINE posts ago.

And you could spell my name right by simply copying and pasting.

43 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Some people are required to provide additional paperwork, or confirm something about their visa application....they are required to hang around until it is sorted.  Someone at the window will complete any deficiencies, and send you on your way when everything is  honky-dory.

It happened to me on one of my latest Vientiane visa runs.  Had to wait until almost closing time (closing time for lunch), to confirm my address before receiving my  "next day pickup slip".

What visa were you applying for?

9 minutes ago, scorecard said:

4 pages already, can we go for 8...

Probably.

I think the problem arises from some old timers here (like me) who haven't gone since over a year ago are missing out on some new methodology re queue number. We're being called out, rightfully so, by some newbs who've been recently. I'll get to see first hand in about 3 weeks as I have to go for a Non-B.

• Like 1

It;s all pretty simple really,

If you go whilst there is a queue and the number being called is before your number then you will join that queue and you will receive your PP back when your number is called

If you join the queue and your number has already been called and you missed it you will wait until everyone in the queue has been processed then collect your PP unless you push in or someone let's you in the queue and the Embassy staff accept this

If you go late and there is no queue you simply present your ticket and they will give you your PP

So in effect it is both a queue number and a number that is assigned to your PP to make it easier for the Embassy staff to process quicker

Now I have explained it in simple terms I expect another 4 pages of comments calling me wrong 

I'm going for 8 pages on this thread, any advance on that? :laugh:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NamH2O said:

If you have not been for years Mr Duanebigsby why comment on things you know nothing about.

One year Mr. 40 posts and did you not see my retraction? Many people got it wrong with one year old info.

How many times have you been on that trip?

You're a little bit of -----are you not?

3 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

It;s all pretty simple really,

If you go whilst there is a queue and the number being called is before your number then you will join that queue and you will receive your PP back when your number is called

If you join the queue and your number has already been called and you missed it you will wait until everyone in the queue has been processed then collect your PP unless you push in or someone let's you in the queue and the Embassy staff accept this

If you go late and there is no queue you simply present your ticket and they will give you your PP

So in effect it is both a queue number and a number that is assigned to your PP to make it easier for the Embassy staff to process quicker

Now I have explained it in simple terms I expect another 4 pages of comments calling me wrong 

I'm going for 8 pages on this thread, any advance on that? :laugh:

No, I think we'll get 8 pages. Thanks for further clarification.

5 hours ago, bapoboy said:

Yours not to reason why.  The system is improved and you dont have to waste time sitting around

That's a problem somehow?  The other people must have had slightly different circumstances or details in their application compared to yours.

6 hours ago, bapoboy said:

Because they checked your paperwork at the desk and all was in order.

This is quite normal now.

The earlier you go on day 1, the quicker you can get your Passport on day 2....the queue number applies to both days.

On day 2 they will call out 7 numbers at a time and all will proceed to the window , pay, sign and collect your passport.

Remember to check before leaving the window that you have the correct visa!

So, enjoy Beer Lao Gold tonight...cheers

• Thanks 1