Would you use a bank deposit machine? This Thai man is mad that he did

webfact

i no longer have a business where  i  receive cash---but even in my own country i wouldnt trust these "cash deposit" machines.....its just too risky,especially with a lge sum of money....best to get teller receipt,after watching the money being counted and/weighed

Crikey. I would not trust a machine with 80,000B in Europe, let alone in Thailand.

I always go into the bank with my passbook, and get every single transaction recorded in it to my satisfaction before leaving. If there's a queue I just wait.
I second that i dont even transfer money between Thai banks.do it manualy .cause if anything goes wrong " never their fault'

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I use these machines quite often. Deposit the notes, some will get rejected, but the machine asks if the remainder is ok. If the total amount is good press ok, you get a receipt and continue with the previously rejected notes (that somehow will get accepted now). Again a receipt will be issued.

All easy.

It's easy, but not for everybody. I only use these machines when the bank's still open and an employee can open the damn thing if something goes wrong.

I've had some issues where the machine suddenly stopped and I was glad that i could contact a bank employee.

But 80,000 baht and not waiting for the screen to show you that all is fine and the money safe on your account? Nope. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

The machine did not accept some of his Banknotes and you can try them again or not and not deposit these rejected ones.

But you still have to confirm the machine that you want to deposit the accepted Banknotes and than you receive a statement about your deposit.

But he, as it seems walked away instead - leaving the Banknotes still in a waiting position in the machine and the next customer? was "lucky" ?

Over time I lost a bunch of Bangkok Bank ATM cards in Thai ATM machines - the money comes here first - I take it and walk away forgetting the card.

Would be better you first have to take your ATM card out of machine and then your Money should appear. ?

First the card and then the money is the way it works in Germany.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Thank you, I am not alone then , 

49 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

First the card and then the money is the way it works in Germany.

4 hours ago, shady86 said:
6 hours ago, ALFREDO said:
Over time I lost a bunch of Bangkok Bank ATM cards in Thai ATM machines - the money comes here first - I take it and walk away forgetting the card.
Would be better you first have to take your ATM card out of machine and then your Money should appear. emoji6.png

That was the trick by banks here to earn 200B from card replacement. They will even try harder since removing transaction fees from online banking.

Yes something wrong with that style how the money is presented-offered. ?

5 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

I stopped using Thai banks and their ATMs altogether in Thailand years ago when I began doing debit card cash withdrawals at exchange windows. Keep the cash in my apartment/safe and travel only with minimal cash. If doing long-distance traveling I can always avoid carrying a lot cash by withdrawing in the destination cities.  This strategy has in general saved me a lot of time and ATM/bank hassle with only a little risk (getting the max 15k baht, passport and debit card home from the exchange window).

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Have used a Thai bank and ATMs as well as depositing US$ to their New York branch for crediting here for 20 years. Never had a single problem.

There's a difference between being cautious and  being a paranoid luddite.

Your edit of my original post that you used used in your reply:

"I stopped using Thai banks and their ATMs altogether in Thailand years ago"

First you edit my original post without giving any indication and only a partial sentence at that, causing an out-of-context situation. Then, to add insult to injury, you imply I'm a paranoid luddite going beyond caution. These actions were both very brain-dead. Did you even get as far as reading the final sentence?:

"This strategy has in general saved me a lot of time and ATM/bank hassle with only a little risk (getting the max 15k baht, passport and debit card home from the exchange window)." (emphasis is mine, of course).

Edited by MaxYakov

2 hours ago, Acemaker said:

Unless of course if it happened to you, what a Tossa !

Lol...

the man in the white t shirt would still be walking away with a smirk...  regardless of wether it was the OP victims money or Pattaya28’s cash

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

The machine did not accept some of his Banknotes and you can try them again or not and not deposit these rejected ones.

But you still have to confirm the machine that you want to deposit the accepted Banknotes and than you receive a statement about your deposit.

But he, as it seems walked away instead - leaving the Banknotes still in a waiting position in the machine and the next customer? was "lucky" ?

Would be better you first have to take your ATM card out of machine and then your Money should appear. ?

I've also seen people take their card and leave the money!! 

• Haha 1

Was it theft or just a lucky guy in a white shirt who unexpectedly found a wad of cash in a CDM? 

I do feel sorry for the snack seller. He and his family worked hard for that income. Patience is a virtue. And most bank tellers are cute! A win/win to wait. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tandor said:

He reported the matter to Pak Chong police who said that this was a case of theft.

...brilliant deduction.

Well, there's a distinction between theft by finding and a civil matter about not having good title. Sometimes you can take something thinking it's discarded, or not thinking at all, and you'll have to give it back but it isn't a criminal matter. In the UK if the bank credits your account and the sum is reasonable in the context of your affairs you might get to keep the dough. 

But you ain't walking away with 80,000 baht in cash without expecting your collar to be felt. You couldn't say you asked for 60k, were given 80, and didn't notice. 

• Haha 1

Let's hope that the man who lost the 75,000 will be more careful in the future!  I must confess that I am mystified by the Man's logic in assuming that if he could withdraw 5,000, the previous transaction went OK.  These are two distinct transactions and have nothing to do with each other unless the man had less than 5,000 in his account before his attempted deposit.   Actually, it would be a considerate public service if the banks were to offer their customers a little pamphlet about how to use ATMs securely.  It does rather sound as though the man after him took the money in the deposit tray and fled.  I assume that none of his 80,000 got into his account all.  There are several possibilities: the ATM malfunctioned or the man didn't use the proper procedure when attempting to deposit, allowing the man behind him to make off with the money or the depositer is being untruthful about some or all of the money and is trying a shakedown on the bank.

So he decided to use the deposit machine. He pressed it a few times and 5,000 baht was returned to him and he thought everything was OK.

But moments later when he checked his account and saw that the money had not registered he went back and saw the next customer - a man in a white shirt - walking away from the machine.

Above says it all IMO...he simply messed up.  The machine rejected 5K, he retrieved that money, the machine screen was then asking him if he was done or wanted to deposit more as in retry the rejected notes.  He pressed the wrong button or possibly didn't press any button, walked away thinking the deposit was done.  Moments later he then probably stuck his passbook in a passbook update machine or his debit card in an ATM for a balance inquiry and saw there was no record of deposit.   

The guy behind him at the cash deposit machine was then treated to a bunch of notes waiting to be retrieved  due to an incomplete transaction. 

Or the guy depositing the money is just making up the story to explain the missing money to the owner/joint owner of the account.   Just because a man was seen walking away from the cash deposit machine is zero proof that man took any money.

I've used cash deposit machines many times in Thailand over the last 10 years.  Once ever month or two.  Have deposited up to 60K numerous times....deposited 20K just a few days ago. They work like a charm, but you have to pay attention, especially on the tail-end of the process, which this guy didn't do.

• Like 1

I don't see mention of his card anywhere. Every time I use this functionality I put in my ATM card first. There is no way I would be able to walk away until the transaction was fully completed because the last thing it does is spit out your card. Is there another way to do this without an ATM card?

Den

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Crikey. I would not trust a machine with 80,000B in Europe, let alone in Thailand.

I always go into the bank with my passbook, and get every single transaction recorded in it to my satisfaction before leaving. If there's a queue I just wait.

I would not trust any bank with 80k THB

9 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

Would be better you first have to take your ATM card out of machine and then your Money should appear.

Me too! So easy to do because when u get your money u r initially pre-occupied  with checking it, especially if it is a large amount, and and then with stowing it safely and quickly before u get mugged....lol. Not to mention if u r in a hurry, stressed, tired or unwell! Western ATMs give the card back before u get the cash. Western banks realise all this and you're not going to walk away without your cash r u? But hey! Thailand manages to get so many things wrong! Also it is a nice little earner selling u replacement cards. In their defence I suppose Thais ATMs do do a lot more than Western machines like paying bills, sending money etc. so perhaps keeping the card until finished is more logical. BUT surely they could and should be programmed to always give the card back before a cash withdrawal. Users would soon learn to do their other business before wtithdrawing cash or it would be no big deal to have to re-insert the card to do other business.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KittenKong said:

passbook. I think I am the only other one old enough to know what one is.....:cheesy:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Me too! So easy to do because when u get your money u r initially pre-occupied  with checking it, especially if it is a large amount, and and then with stowing it safely and quickly before u get mugged....lol. Not to mention if u r in a hurry, stressed, tired or unwell! Western ATMs give the card back before u get the cash. Western banks realise all this and you're not going to walk away without your cash r u? But hey! Thailand manages to get so many things wrong! Also it is a nice little earner selling u replacement cards. In their defence I suppose Thais ATMs do do a lot more than Western machines like paying bills, sending money etc. so perhaps keeping the card until finished is more logical. BUT surely they could and should be programmed to always give the card back before a cash withdrawal. Users would soon learn to do their other business before wtithdrawing cash or it would be no big deal to have to re-insert the card to do other business.

Surely there's other options, perhaps:

- Small lights flash at the card entry / exit area until the card is removed.

- Card not pulled out with say 4 seconds an alarm sounds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Surely there's other options, perhaps:

- Small lights flash at the card entry / exit area until the card is removed.

- Card not pulled out with say 4 seconds an alarm sounds.

Kasikorn ATMs are too busy and further distracting you after u get your cash by playing a stupid tune and trying to sell u there products and promotions.....lol.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Inside the bank uses the same electronic accounting system and network as outside the bank, doesn't it?   I think a human being is more likely to steal from you than an ATM machine is to make a mistake.  If you don't trust the machine with 80k, do you trust it with 5k?  If so, couldn't you just make 16 deposits of 5k to the machine?  

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

Let's hope that the man who lost the 75,000 will be more careful in the future!  I must confess that I am mystified by the Man's logic in assuming that if he could withdraw 5,000, the previous transaction went OK.  These are two distinct transactions and have nothing to do with each other unless the man had less than 5,000 in his account before his attempted deposit. 

He didn't withdraw anything, a cash deposit machine is not an ATM, he got 5K returned because the deposit machine rejected the notes.