Would you use a bank deposit machine? This Thai man is mad that he did

webfact

Would you use a bank deposit machine? This Thai man is mad that he did

4pm.jpg

Pictures: Thai Rath

A Thai man who sells Khanom Jeen with his wife in the town of Pak Chong, Nakorn Ratchasima, has gone to police after he took 80,000 baht takings over Songkran to the bank.

At the Krung Sri Ayudhya branch at Tesco Lotus there was a big queue and he needed to get back to his shop in a hurry.

So he decided to use the deposit machine. He pressed it a few times and 5,000 baht was returned to him and he thought everything was OK.

4pm1.jpg

But moments later when he checked his account and saw that the money had not registered he went back and saw the next customer - a man in a white shirt - walking away from the machine.

He didn't dare approach him but after contacting the bank who confirmed they had no record of the 75,000 baht being deposited he ran out front of the store to try and find the man.

He had disappeared.

He reported the matter to Pak Chong police who said that this was a case of theft.

Investigations continue.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-25

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crikey. I would not trust a machine with 80,000B in Europe, let alone in Thailand.

I always go into the bank with my passbook, and get every single transaction recorded in it to my satisfaction before leaving. If there's a queue I just wait.

The machine did not accept some of his Banknotes and you can try them again or not and not deposit these rejected ones.

But you still have to confirm the machine that you want to deposit the accepted Banknotes and than you receive a statement about your deposit.

But he, as it seems walked away instead - leaving the Banknotes still in a waiting position in the machine and the next customer? was "lucky" ?

Over time I lost a bunch of Bangkok Bank ATM cards in Thai ATM machines - the money comes here first - I take it and walk away forgetting the card.

Would be better you first have to take your ATM card out of machine and then your Money should appear. ?

20 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Crikey. I would not trust a machine with 80,000B in Europe, let alone in Thailand.

I always go into the bank with my passbook, and get every single transaction recorded in it to my satisfaction before leaving. If there's a queue I just wait.

I hear you. Twice I have had my card eaten / cash not dispensed but money taken out of my account. For anything over a couple of hundred Baht, I will only use the machines at my branch during banking hours. That is how paranoid I have become...

15 minutes ago, baboon said:

I hear you. Twice I have had my card eaten / cash not dispensed but money taken out of my account. For anything over a couple of hundred Baht, I will only use the machines at my branch during banking hours. That is how paranoid I have become...

Different experiences, never had money taken from my account (foreign and Thai) when I did not receive it. I have even deposited money in rare occasions and never a problem. Maybe things are just better connected in BKK. I think that problems like this arise from faulty internet connections (I assume that is how banks send data from their machines). 

I do try to use machines that are at busy places and check if there is no skimming (reader) attached because I heard horror stories. So far never a problem. 

But of course there is always a first.

I stopped using Thai banks and their ATMs altogether in Thailand years ago when I began doing debit card cash withdrawals at exchange windows. Keep the cash in my apartment/safe and travel only with minimal cash. If doing long-distance traveling I can always avoid carrying a lot cash by withdrawing in the destination cities.  This strategy has in general saved me a lot of time and ATM/bank hassle with only a little risk (getting the max 15k baht, passport and debit card home from the exchange window).

2 hours ago, coulson said:

Therein lies the problem.

Exactly.

I use these CDMs from time to time and most often they have a few notes to "complain" about. Stupid if you just remove and leave.

Always worth having a look at the screen where you are asked to confirm/continue.

And CDMs always give a slip.

The machine did not accept some of his Banknotes and you can try them again or not and not deposit these rejected ones.
But you still have to confirm the machine that you want to deposit the accepted Banknotes and than you receive a statement about your deposit.
But he, as it seems walked away instead - leaving the Banknotes still in a waiting position in the machine and the next customer[emoji48] was "lucky" [emoji6]

Over time I lost a bunch of Bangkok Bank ATM cards in Thai ATM machines - the money comes here first - I take it and walk away forgetting the card.
Would be better you first have to take your ATM card out of machine and then your Money should appear. [emoji6]
That was the trick by banks here to earn 200B from card replacement. They will even try harder since removing transaction fees from online banking.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.

David

3 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

But he, as it seems walked away instead - leaving the Banknotes still in a waiting position in the machine and the next customer? was "lucky" ?

Would be better you first have to take your ATM card out of machine and then your Money should appear. ?

Maybe he was thinking 'but i've used this machine before  (it talks to me, personal, makes me feel welcome...) so this machine knows me so why didn't the machine just automatically do what I want...'

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Maybe he was thinking 'but i've used this machine before so this machine knows me so why didn't the machine just automatically do what I want...'

I assume this comes from your own personal approach to dealing with modern technology ... or are you a clairvoyant?

2 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

I stopped using Thai banks and their ATMs altogether in Thailand years ago

Have used a Thai bank and ATMs as well as depositing US$ to their New York branch for crediting here for 20 years. Never had a single problem.

There's a difference between being cautious and  being a paranoid luddite.

I use these machines quite often. Deposit the notes, some will get rejected, but the machine asks if the remainder is ok. If the total amount is good press ok, you get a receipt and continue with the previously rejected notes (that somehow will get accepted now). Again a receipt will be issued.

All easy.

4 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

Thank you, I am not alone then , 

5 hours ago, Anak Nakal said:

Man not enough smart to use machine!

This man need talk to person.

Same to me, It sound he did not use the machine properly and did not check the receipt. Money was probably back in the deposit area.  Maybe there is a maximum you can deposit this way too and some bill are not accepted and  returned too.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I think that problems like this arise from faulty internet connections (I assume that is how banks send data from their machines). 

I quote only this part.... no, banks use a dedicated ATM network.

In general, I am quite impressed with the reliability of the banking machines in Thailand. Not to mention that they are everywhere, take most cards, have menus in 3-4 languages, and they are usually safe to operate (you don't need a bodyguard with you like in some other countries).

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Different experiences, never had money taken from my account (foreign and Thai) when I did not receive it. I have even deposited money in rare occasions and never a problem. Maybe things are just better connected in BKK. I think that problems like this arise from faulty internet connections (I assume that is how banks send data from their machines). 

I do try to use machines that are at busy places and check if there is no skimming (reader) attached because I heard horror stories. So far never a problem. 

But of course there is always a first.

I use ATM and ADM in Khon Kaen, KTB bank and TMB bank.

In 12 years, never a problem.

He had B5,000 returned to him? From a deposit machine? Then he went to speak to someone in the bank that just moments earlier, had been so busy that he had abandoned the queue. Not to mention that if the bank's systems were faulty, its name would not have been mentioned. 

All of that said, I can attest, having often used deposit machines without any issue, that I have tried BAY in the past, more than once, to pay a school fee, and each time, it refused to work the way it was supposed to.

21 minutes ago, cnx355 said:

Same to me, It sound he did not use the machine properly and did not check the receipt. Money was probably back in the deposit area.  Maybe there is a maximum you can deposit this way too and some bill are not accepted and  returned too.

Should be up to B100,000.

Archived