How do you offer thanks to a driver who has shown you courtesy?

1 hour ago, bandito said:

Will not as Thais don't know exactly the meaning of it.

The thumbs up sign is an insult and even one of the first things the Thai toddlers learn at school of not, never doing this.

Hopelessly wrong on both counts.

The middle finger will get you chased down and shot at in some parts of this enchanted kingdom. The locals are all very aware that it is an insult of western origin, regardless that most of them probably have no clue as to the specific act of social congress that it infers.

Thumbs up? Your nonsense claims have already been kicked into touch by others.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never understand why someone puts their left indicator on after overtaking. Is it a Thanks?, or an off duty HGV driver from habit using it correctly, as if i care what a car  does once past. You can gesture a thanks to Taxi Drivers, they are the only ones who use Clear UV block  or nothing.

On 4/26/2018 at 4:52 PM, worgeordie said:

What's ThaiVisa coming to,too many posts from people who

cannot seem to think.

Just give them a nod and a wave,like you do back home,

but here it's only going to happen in a blue moon,so why

even worry about it.

regards worgeordie

worgeordie, are you aware that different countries have different  social norms and customs?

My question was sincere and as the above posts indicate the understanding as to what  would be correct and acceptable  appears to lack a universal agreement.

2 hours ago, watcharacters said:

worgeordie, are you aware that different countries have different  social norms and customs?

My question was sincere and as the above posts indicate the understanding as to what  would be correct and acceptable  appears to lack a universal agreement.

Delayed reaction, whatever you say,if you did not really know what to do

if a Thai driver showed you courtesy, it must have been a shock to you,

when i show courtesy to Thai drivers, by letting them in the que, they too

appear to be shocked,and i have to consort to vigorous hand waving to 

let them know i am really letting them in.

Safe driving  Regards Worgeordie

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Delayed reaction, whatever you say,if you did not really know what to do

if a Thai driver showed you courtesy, it must have been a shock to you,

when i show courtesy to Thai drivers, by letting them in the que, they too

appear to be shocked,and i have to consort to vigorous hand waving to 

let them know i am really letting them in.

Safe driving  Regards Worgeordie

Sorry,  but you seem to get it  much  wrong,  my friend.

To assist in the cultural reference  I made,  I offer you  this example    "Bis Du ein folgel in dein Koph"?,   Indicated by gesture by me  in traffic to a taxi driver  .       I did that once in Frankfurt and the taxi driver nearly went insane and to me it was really nearly meaningless.      I laughed a lot with my German ex wife about how upset  the taxi driver got.      

You kind of get the point about different culture things?    I hope..

Different cultures my friend.   

2 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Sorry,  but you seem to get it  much  wrong,  my friend.

To assist in the cultural reference  I made,  I offer you  this example    "Bis Du ein folgel in dein Koph"?,   Indicated by gesture by me  in traffic to a taxi driver  .       I did that once in Frankfurt and the taxi driver nearly went insane and to me it was really nearly meaningless.      I laughed a lot with my German ex wife about how upset  the taxi driver got.      

You kind of get the point about different culture things?    I hope..

Different cultures my friend.   

It would be " "Hast Du einen Vogel?" ( Are you mad?)

4 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

My limited German is  severely rusty but it actually has to do with  "do you have a bird in your head?"

Corrections welcome..

Yep, that's exactly what it means.....

P.S. You don't have to add in your head, it's widely understood. 

Will not as Thais don't know exactly the meaning of it.
The thumbs up sign is an insult and even one of the first things the Thai toddlers learn at school of not, never doing this.
I've never seen the thumbs up used as anything other than "thanks" or "agree"
its used that way on Facebook and Line.

Really confused that some say its a Thai insult !...of course the middle finger is very dangerous to use in Thailand...it will bring almost certainly a bad repercussion.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

That's only if you know him well. Haben Sie einen Vogel would be more appropriate. Nein?  ( O level German)

Yep, "Du" if you know him/her, it's not gender specific. Asking if somebody's insane can hardly be appropriate. Not too many German speakers would use "Sie"...

9 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

That's only if you know him well. Haben Sie einen Vogel would be more appropriate. Nein?  ( O level German)

Thank you friend,

My limited German does let me know the difference between "Du and Sie".

I appreciate you pointing that out nevertheless.    I  am   a dummkopf  regarding   German..   Long time ago as in  many decades..    I bow down to all German speakers.   Fair enough?

Back to what is a   good and understandable way for Thai drivers to understand  an act of appreciation for  what the Thai driver did. 

Controversy seems not reasonable  to me about this. But I am often wrong. 

11 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Yep, "Du" if you know him/her, it's not gender specific. Asking if somebody's insane can hardly be appropriate. Not too many German speakers would use "Sie"...

On 26 April 2018 at 6:03 PM, saakura said:

Every morning on the way to work, i have to exit my soi and turn left on to the main Sukhumvit road which is inevitably busy at that time. Sometimes it takes 10-15 cars to pass before someone stops and i just bow my head and try to catch the drivers eye & smile.

How can you catch their eye, their windows are so heavily blacked out you can't see b.gger all....

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2018 at 4:52 PM, worgeordie said:

What's ThaiVisa coming to,too many posts from people who

cannot seem to think.

Just give them a nod and a wave,like you do back home,

but here it's only going to happen in a blue moon,so why

even worry about it.

regards worgeordie

Good point. But Thais do occasionally let me through, more than just once in a blue moon. I smile, nod and raise my hand to wave as a gesture of thanks, which is exactly what Thais do. Motorcyclists tend to nod appreciatively multiple times instead - often before you've even let them through. It's kind of like - "I'm nodding so please let me through and here's 3 more nods to thank you in advance".

Archived