How do you offer thanks to a driver who has shown you courtesy?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

what  is the proper way to indicate to a  Thai driver that you appreciate his act of courtesy.

Never come across that phenomenon before. I give way to Thai drivers only for them to just sit there not knowing what to do. My missus keeps telling me to stop doing it as it confuses them.    drive.gif

What's ThaiVisa coming to,too many posts from people who

cannot seem to think.

Just give them a nod and a wave,like you do back home,

but here it's only going to happen in a blue moon,so why

even worry about it.

regards worgeordie

A 'thumbs up' can in itself cause it's own problems, depending upon the background culture of the person receiving it! 

Safest wildcard option would be just to write a new Thread on the 'positive experience' 

Every morning on the way to work, i have to exit my soi and turn left on to the main Sukhumvit road which is inevitably busy at that time. Sometimes it takes 10-15 cars to pass before someone stops and i just bow my head and try to catch the drivers eye & smile.

3 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Not really any sincere suggestions,  huh?

My post was 100%   genuine and honest.

NO ideas?   REally?

First one was sensible . Nod or a small head bow that's it job done.

12 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

You can keep your elbows on the steering wheel for a short wai, sorry for trying to answer a question. 

As someone who has been driving daily in Bangkok for over 16 years, nobody wais while driving. Never seen it happen even once, for obvious reasons. By far the most acceptable way of acknowledging a courteous driver is the good old head nod, or a quick one handed wave of the hand.  

15 hours ago, wgdanson said:

But that means taking both hands off the wheel.

For example, when traffic stops to let you make a U-turn, I smile and give a one hand wai, thus keeping one hand on the steering wheel.

6 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

For example, when traffic stops to let you make a U-turn, I smile and give a one hand wai, thus keeping one hand on the steering wheel.

A one handed wai, AND a one handed U turn simultaneously. Clever man. However it must be very very occasionally as when DOES traffic stop to let you make a U turn.

9 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Tinted windows?

In a small soi with tight passing, cars parked all over. If someone stops to allow me through I give a quick tap on the horn as I pass. No gestures will be seen if one has tinted windows. 

In the turning left into a road as in post #16. Put the palm of your hand right up against the side window. They will be able to see that.

Hello

I noticed for years that a very simple solution to obtain from thais to give way is to ask for it.. I open my window and clearly show that I wish to cross.. 98% of the time they stop and allow you to proceed.. Then I put my thumb up and wave at them..

If I don t open my window and really express I wish to cross nobody stops..

Actually acting as I do, I get curteous answers..

Have a nice day

WOW - looking at all these responses I guess I am really lucky!!!

I often get drivers stopping and waving me on - even when signalling to turn right.

Once a police patrol pick-up waved me on.

I give one-handed wai and mouthe korbkoon ka.

Archived