Ubc

MartinB

I eventually got suckered in to having UBS installed, I know all about the censorship, old programs etc and thought what the heck I like the discovery channels etc was looking forward to listening to them in English. The guys from UBS came installed the box of tricks and all was well. When I read the manual it said and I quote

“ you can select either the original soundtrack or the Thai dubbing (This option applies only to programs for which UBC and the supplier have arranged Thai dubbing, for example the Discovery Channel, which is broadcast bilingually in English and Thai.) With the press of a button on the remote you can select viewing in either of the two languages. “

End quote

I looked at the remote and researched every button but could find anything relating to changing the language. I called UBC support desk (very English and helpful), they talked me through the process, but my menu did not have the appropriate option. The guy at the support desk then explained that the TV set had to have a bilingual option. Well apparently my brand new Phillips TV doesn’t. It now looks like I have to buy another set, which I wont be doing! So I thought, as this is amazing Thailand does anyone out there now of any gizmo that I can attaché to the TV that will change it to bilingual………….a long short I know, but don’t wont to buy a new TV set. Any ideas?

cheers

It all depends on how you are connected to UBC.

If you live in Bangkok and it is a cable connection then the two audio channels

are basically on the left and right channels and you need a Bi Lingual TV to sort it out.

If you have a satellite dish then you get the choice though your remote control for the decoder box.

It sound as though you are in Bangkok and do need the special TV.

Nice of UBC not to tell you the whole story.

“ you can select either the original soundtrack or the Thai dubbing (This option applies only to programs for which UBC and the supplier have arranged Thai dubbing, for example the Discovery Channel, which is broadcast bilingually in English and Thai.) With the press of a button on the remote you can select viewing in either of the two languages. “

I have a tv that has dual language capabilities and I get an english track sometimes and other times not. Usually the movies come thru okay but not some of the weekly series like the Amazing Race.

I think that the Thai translator screws up and records over both tracks because I can hear English in the background so it should be there. Of course UBC denies there is a problem!! Have also read about this same problem in the Bangkok Post several years ago.

I eventually got suckered in to having UBS installed, I know all about the censorship, old programs etc and thought what the heck I like the discovery channels etc was looking forward to listening to them in English. The guys from UBS came installed the box of tricks and all was well. When I read the manual it said and I quote

End quote

I looked at the remote and researched every button but could find anything relating to changing the language. I called UBC support desk (very English and helpful), they talked me through the process, but my menu did not have the appropriate option. The guy at the support desk then explained that the TV set had to have a bilingual option. Well apparently my brand new Phillips TV doesn’t. It  now looks like I have to buy another set, which I wont be doing! So I thought, as this is amazing Thailand does anyone out there now of any gizmo that I can attaché to the TV that will change it to bilingual………….a long short I know, but don’t wont to buy a new TV set. Any ideas?

cheers

On your UBC remote, push the button 3rd down on the right. It should have a picture of a speaker with a question mark in front of it. When you press it, you should get "Alternate audio:" followed by the language. Push it again and it should change. If not, try pushing MENU and then "Languages" to select which alternate languages you want. If none of this works, who installed your system and what package did you pay for? I have had UBC installed twice and have had the same remote and same setup procedure for languages. Good luck. :o

I looked at the remote and researched every button but could find anything relating to changing the language. I called UBC support desk (very English and helpful), they talked me through the process, but my menu did not have the appropriate option. The guy at the support desk then explained that the TV set had to have a bilingual option. Well apparently my brand new Phillips TV doesn’t.

Hi Martin,

My box doesn't have a language button either (it's a Scientific Atlanta box), but my televisions do have bi-lingual capability so I just switch in-between the audio channels when I want to hear the original soundtrack by pressing a button on the television remote.

I thought this was standard on televisions but I won a new Panasonic flat-screen TV recently and only after installing it in my bedroom did I realize that it doesn't have the capability, even though there's a button for it on the remote. Reading the TV's instruction manual told me that the model I won is the most basic one and the other models have bilingual capability.

The idea about finding a gizmo for the TV is a good one- after all, it's just a second audio channel so it shouldn't be too hard to break out. Never seen one, but then again I've never looked....

Cheers!

I have a tv that has dual language capabilities and I get an english track sometimes and other times not. Usually the movies come thru okay but not some of the weekly series like the Amazing Race.

The movie channels are only in English so that is why they work. If you use the cable system you need a TV set with what they call Germain Stereo system and then you can switch.