Getting Satellite Tv

khunyae

I am living in Pattaya. I am tired of cable TV and have heard too many negative stories about UBC, so I want to get satellite TV. Would appreciate any help you guys can give me.

What size dish do I need? C-band or Ku?

And what channels can I expect to get for free? Can I get uncensored movies - ie cigarettes and guns not blanked out?

Can I get subscribe to content such as HBO without going through UBC?

Can I get exciting European content?

Edited by khunyae

I am living in Pattaya. I am tired of cable TV and have heard too many negative stories about UBC, so I want to get satellite TV. Would appreciate any help you guys can give me.

And what channels can I expect to get for free? Can I get uncensored movies - ie cigarettes and guns not blanked out?

I have been using Dynsat 10ft dish and the silver box receiver for approx. 3 years and have just recently changed the receiver too the x-sat 410 receiver which seems to work very well with no interruptions. What you get is around 52 channel's Hbo , sports ect. Due to the nature of programing just pm and I will explain further........

• 2 weeks later...
Satellite TV channels comprehensive information available on www.lyngsat.com

A good English speaking person having some good info about satellites viewable in Thailand: check here: www.bkkcabletv.com

Hi interesting subject matter I would like information also on satelite tv as a American I would like to get tv shows like A&E history channel lerning channel CNN from USA etc I have no problem paying for the channels I watch I just want to be ablle to pay for them in Thailand without a major problem and feedback will be welcomed thank you for your postings Ronnie

I would wait about 2 months before buying a satellite.

Satellite service from Aguilar KU is supposed to stop in 2 months due to equipment upgrades on the upload side of the satellite in the Phillipines.

Aguilar KU is the major English content providing satellite which has a footprint over parts of Thailand (besides UBC).

One satellite dealer in Chiang Mai said service would completely stop. My dealer in Phayao said if they can't break the new code, all F1 receivers would have to be upgraded to ones with card readers. Then annually, you would have to purchase a card to watch tv from this satellite for about 4000 baht.

I would wait about 2 months before buying a satellite.

Satellite service from Aguilar KU is supposed to stop in 2 months due to equipment upgrades on the upload side of the satellite in the Phillipines.

Aguilar KU is the major English content providing satellite which has a footprint over parts of Thailand (besides UBC).

One satellite dealer in Chiang Mai said service would completely stop. My dealer in Phayao said if they can't break the new code, all F1 receivers would have to be upgraded to ones with card readers. Then annually, you would have to purchase a card to watch tv from this satellite for about 4000 baht.

Your dealer is being untruthful as the cards will cost AT LEAsT four times that amount for all 52 channels.

Go to the Dream website and see for yourself . Also go to www.filsat.com for info/forum on Dream

Hey TOP,

If you know somebody in the Phils, it's not gonna cost 16000/year.

Subscription card for the 52 channel package costs 10700 pesos/year, which currently is less then 7500 Baht.

This is calculated at simply 12 monthly fees, when I was last there they also had promotions on the prepaid packages, coming out even cheaper.

Although I think currently their promotions only give you an almost free receiver (which they sell for 5900 pesos or, 4150 Baht anyway, hello UBC !!!)

EMS the card to Thailand and there you go!

The dealer might be being untruthful or maybe he is giving me the information that he is getting. I have already been to the dream website so I know what it says. I'm just passing on the information on .

Perhaps more importantly is what scrambling system they intend to use if tand when hey change from the current Nagravision. There is only one hack/ foolproof system on the market at present and thats NDS as used by Murdoch's Sky.

.............and you will need a new receiver for that as NDS /Sky does not offer cams to fit other receivers.

Edited by topfield

Hey TOP,

If you know somebody in the Phils, it's not gonna cost 16000/year.

Subscription card for the 52 channel package costs 10700 pesos/year, which currently is less then 7500 Baht.

This is calculated at simply 12 monthly fees, when I was last there they also had promotions on the prepaid packages, coming out even cheaper.

Although I think currently their promotions only give you an almost free receiver (which they sell for 5900 pesos or, 4150 Baht anyway, hello UBC !!!)

EMS the card to Thailand and there you go!

Dear Monty...yes I am sure there are dirt cheap subs available in Manila ! But ask yourself why. It's because it's so easy to hack they are lucky to get any subscription pesos at all !!

If and when a new hackproof system is introduced they will have no need to offer give away suscriptions any more. Think about it !

Got something there :o

They're just so darn unlucky they are on Nagra, which does not offer any upgrade path without giving everybody new receiverboxes...

Not an easy task considering the vast area the Philippines cover, a lot of it islands as well...

This all seems too complicated to me. I have had a Dynasat silver box II for about two years or so. It has been out of service so many times and required new codes or software upgrades that I have now given up using it at all. My wife watches Thai TV on it, but that’s all. I would like to watch TV but it does not seem worth the bother. I have been offered alternatives but I don’t have much faith in any of them really. I bought my current system from an Ideal Homes Expro in Bangkok without any idea that it was not quite legitimate. I don’t watch enough TV to justify paying UBC prices. Has anyone got a tried and tested system that works without maintenance?

This all seems too complicated to me. I have had a Dynasat silver box II for about two years or so. It has been out of service so many times and required new codes or software upgrades that I have now given up using it at all.

Software upgrades are freely available from the internet... you simply download them then upload them to your receiver via a null-model cable.

This all seems too complicated to me. I have had a Dynasat silver box II for about two years or so. It has been out of service so many times and required new codes or software upgrades that I have now given up using it at all.

Software upgrades are freely available from the internet... you simply download them then upload them to your receiver via a null-model cable.

Is that an RS232 cable? Which site do I use, and are the instructions there?

Thanks

it's indeed an RS232 cable, but with the send and receive wires crossed. (serial null-modem cable)

Uses the 9 pin D plug...

Biggest problem is most computers, including laptops, don't have any serial ports anymore. I use an old (5 year old) laptop I still have lying around for that...

Best would be to get a tecnician demonstrating it once, and then afterwards do it yourself...

Jaysat TV (www.jasat.tv) says on their website when you log on:

After 01MAR07 we will no longer be supporting the dynasat brand of set top boxes

How to do it yourself.

Website to upgrade the F1 receiver

http://prosw.white.prohosting.com/

On that website:

Silver Box Plus and F1

F1-L366-12Dec2006.zip (Link to download the software)

or click here ------> http://prosw.white.prohosting.com/F1-L366-12Dec2006.zip

How to upgrade (Link to instructions for making the RS 232 cable, how to modify it, and how to use the software.)

Or click here ---> http://prosw.white.prohosting.com/How%20to%20upgrade-F1.jpg

I have a MOVE Dynasat silver box II for over 3 years and is linked with the [internet] Dreambox D500 since last October..

This is the way to go, I am very happy and get 100's of English channels out of the 1,366 channel I receive..

Forget about Agulia KU, you get all of these + more on Measat 1KU

I have a MOVE Dynasat silver box II for over 3 years and is linked with the [internet] Dreambox D500 since last October..

This is the way to go, I am very happy and get 100's of English channels out of the 1,366 channel I receive..

Hi Ignis

Do you have just the one moveable dish or did you have to get a static one too? Some people have said that a second, stationary dish is also needed.

Also, if someone could let me know how to find and add a new satellite to the available list on an F1, I'd be mighty grateful since the instruction book is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

Thanks a lot.

H.

I have been using Dynsat 10ft dish and the silver box receiver for approx. 3 years and have just recently changed the receiver too the x-sat 410 receiver which seems to work very well with no interruptions. What you get is around 52 channel's Hbo , sports ect. Due to the nature of programing just pm and I will explain further........

Where can I buy the sat 310 or 410?Where can I buy the x-sat?

Of course you are right ignis.

May we know how much the monthly sub is where you are.

Cheers

[.

May we know how much the monthly sub is where you are.

Cheers

toppy give your vision net box a couple more weeks,its supposed to be coming back in se asia with a monthly payment

• 2 weeks later...
Check out this company.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with them, but they do have some useful information on their website.

They are the experts with good service but generally double the price of any Thai Sat co.which is understandable as the owner is a Kiwi.

So if I wanted to get TV5 and BBC world as well as few sports channels, living in Bangkok, how much would I have to pay for decent dish, medium end and top end? I am also assuming that all this comes free of UBC's interference in veiwing pleasure, i.e meaning that I don't have to see a nasty red screen, and can get the real FTV as well VH1? :o

Hi Ignis, i am up in Kanchanaburi Province but unfortunately too far out for cable etc, had a fall out with UBC over broken promises (bet ya cant believe that) so they are not on my list of possible TV providers. Point is i have two thai/uk kids and would dearly like them to have access to english speaking TV and myself, BBC news, i have tried to find a source for English speaking TV from endless Sat shops up here to no avail, mate the system you have can i erect it myself?, do i pay a subscription? and if so where do i get it from? and lastly what channels could i reasonably expect to get?. Mate if you have the time i would really appreciate your help.

Regards Ewelve

Hi Ignis, i am up in Kanchanaburi Province but unfortunately too far out for cable etc, had a fall out with UBC over broken promises (bet ya cant believe that) so they are not on my list of possible TV providers. Point is i have two thai/uk kids and would dearly like them to have access to english speaking TV and myself, BBC news, i have tried to find a source for English speaking TV from endless Sat shops up here to no avail, mate the system you have can i erect it myself?, do i pay a subscription? and if so where do i get it from? and lastly what channels could i reasonably expect to get?. Mate if you have the time i would really appreciate your help.

Regards Ewelve

I’ll try and talk you through it as I have a similar set-up to Ignis.

My system has three parts:

1. A dish. Moveable in my case so I can point it to various satellites visible from Thailand. You could get a cheaper fixed dish, but then you’re obviously limited to looking at one sat network. You need to make sure you can see the sky to the South (ie over the equator) – that’s where the satellites hang.

2. A box to control the dish (ie to move it). I use an old Dynasat Angelbox, but there are many available. Of course if you only go with a fixed dish, you can do without this piece of kit.

3. The actual set-top box you use to watch the signal. Again tons to choose from, but like Ignis I’ve gone with the Dreambox DM500S. The reason being that there is tons of online support and a stack of free add-ons for extra functionality.

With this set-up, you will be able to watch “Free to Air” (FTA) channels from whatever satellites are in view.

The Dreambox can also do a lot more. I’ve got three of them connected to my home LAN. I can use the Hard disk on my PCs to record programmes direct from any of the ‘boxes, then later play back those programmes to any TV connected to one of them. I can also “stream” live TV from the box to my laptop over my home WiFi network. You’ll often find me in the garden with a beer, watching live cricket on my laptop – no cables to plug in!

Do bear in mind that to do some of the more complicated things with these boxes, you need to dig around with Linux, so not for the faint-hearted. But once they’re set-up, they seem to work brilliantly. I used Jsat to install my system, and whilst they’re more expensive than some of the other companies, you are paying for excellent after-sales service (in my experience), which for me is important. Check out their site – they have a comprehensive list of what’s available, along with prices.

Where can I find a post from a member of the forum that explained how he set up his satellite with dreambox and was downloading programs on his PC and also got it connected to a wifi system.

I can not find this post any more and I want to install the same in my house.

Can somebody of the forum help me to find this post???

Thanks

Where can I find a post from a member of the forum that explained how he set up his satellite with dreambox and was downloading programs on his PC and also got it connected to a wifi system.

Thanks

It is very unlikely you will receive the info you require as firstly its against the rules of this forum and secondly its probably unlawful !

Why not send a pm to meerkat who described his system in a posting above ?

Jsat do indeed offer such systems on their website but have to do it in a way so as not to bring the wrath of UBC/True Vision on themselves, with the owner a falang being deported . To watch encrypted Thai bouquets without paying the appropriate subscription is certainly very serious when done for commercial purposes

As a private arrangement with no money changing hands ,in the UK anyway, one can probably get away with it but please bear in mind piracy is piracy.

Thanks

It is very unlikely you will receive the info you require as firstly its against the rules of this forum and secondly its probably unlawful !

Why not send a pm to meerkat who described his system in a posting above ?

Jsat do indeed offer such systems on their website but have to do it in a way so as not to bring the wrath of UBC/True Vision on themselves, with the owner a falang being deported . To watch encrypted Thai bouquets without paying the appropriate subscription is certainly very serious when done for commercial purposes

As a private arrangement with no money changing hands ,in the UK anyway, one can probably get away with it but please bear in mind piracy is piracy.