Traffic chaos as city’s roads turned into klongs

rooster59

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Combination?

How about the real reason: Bureaucratic  incompetence

Like they wake up every year and suddenly discover that the roads are submerged, surprise, surprise, the only time they really think about it is when the factories are underwater and then suddenly it is a problem

And I guess they think that potential investors never read the newspapers and unlike Thais actually perform due diligence before they invest in new factories    

3 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

How about the real reason: Bureaucratic  incompetence

Like they wake up every year and suddenly discover that the roads are submerged, surprise, surprise, the only time they really think about it is when the factories are underwater and then suddenly it is a problem

And I guess they think that potential investors never read the newspapers and unlike Thais actually perform due diligence before they invest in new factories    

You think too much.

??

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i have seen this movie.:coffee1:

i would change the channel but it would be a horrible bus wreck and i have seen that movie too.

Horrendous rain here too - actually feel sorry for the tourists expecting fabulous sunshine.

So talking about movies - what would be the latest Enterprise? E or F , lost track as so many were destroyed.

5 hours ago, eliotness said:

What sea level rise ?  More likely Bangkok is actually sinking.

If the city is sinking, it follows that the sea level will rise relative to the level of the streets.

Drain the klongs ? Water does not flow uphill.

Nice that the East is no different to the West. In i.e. Europe it is clear, that after autumn the first snow can be expected ringing in winter. This is not a matter if but when. 
Same here and, after living here for 30+ years even I learnt that after Songkran there is the day(s)/week(s) coming when the first proper rain fall will bring everything to a screeching halt. 
Thailand's weather forecasts are as reliable as the rest of the planet - go figure! Combine this chosen ignorance with the celebration of the holy cow (in this case their own, usually unpaid, cars) the result is a total gridlock. Serves them right! I, for one, managed to get through town, albeit slightly hindered and more humid than usual, with no significant delays on BTS and MRT. 

14 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

My suggestion is to build the  Kra Isthmus canal instead of that Super Fast Train. Then they could drain the Gulf of Thailand into the Andaman Sea and thus save Bangkok.  :stoner:

You do realize that all the oceans of the world are connected. How much higher do you think the Gulf is than the Andaman sea ?

19 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Have a look at the Netherlands, half of the country is below sea level.

Sea level rise could increase the mean sea level by one to two meters by the end of this century, with even more following. This, land subsidence, and increased storms make further upgrades to the flood control and water management infrastructure necessary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_control_in_the_Netherlands

Where is Thailand going to get the money to put a system in place, when even the Netherlands - who have been doing this for centuries - is finding it increasingly difficult.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Sea level rise could increase the mean sea level by one to two meters by the end of this century, with even more following. This, land subsidence, and increased storms make further upgrades to the flood control and water management infrastructure necessary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_control_in_the_Netherlands

Where is Thailand going to get the money to put a system in place, when even the Netherlands - who have been doing this for centuries - is finding it increasingly difficult.

Thai economy is doing well, it isn't increasingly difficult, it is increasingly more expensive.

On 4/28/2018 at 6:57 AM, Lungstib said:

Welcome to the world of the automobile in a city originally built for boats. You can build all the elevated highways you want but all those cars still have to come down to ground (or water) level where houses, shops, factories exist. In a week when Bangkok people are being made aware of false advertising its maybe time to give some thought to all the adverts for vehicles that never show one in a traffic jam or a flood. Reality is often harsh. 

While I agree with most of what you state, and I also understand the history of why the thai people made Bangkok their capital for defense purposes against the Burmese.  Everyone knows Bangkok is surrounded by water and Swampy and therefore difficult for land invaders to conquer the thai kingdom.  

In the modern age I bet the Dutch engineers could solve the water drainage issues.  Ever time I go to the Netherlands I am amazed at their ability to handle the power and force of flowing water.