SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, oilinki said:

Visa and work permit issues is the biggest drawback for me and makes me wish to move to EU, where those can be avoided. 

Perhaps Thailand could adapt visa / permission of stay style from Hong Kong, where the extension to stay time increases the longer one has been in the country. That would let foreigners to think Thailand as a new permanent home country, rather than just a place to visit for an while. 

For example, visas could be granted:

First 1 year then 3 years, 5 years and finally permanent residency. 

Excellent suggestion. They would have plenty of time to separate the good from the bad and would also provide some certainty for the good wishing to make Thailand home. Many have Thai wives and families and would be willing to invest more wealth in Thailand if their status was more certain. And perhaps a review of work permits and citizenship rules too?

But given the seeming increase in xenophobic attitudes I doubt it will ever happen. More likely to get worse if anything as the number of forms continually increases and the criteria can be changed at will.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Currently weighing up the benefits...
Not what they were several years ago.
Just on the edge of Pattaya and you need transport to everything.
The soi appeared quiet when we checked it out, but the dogs...
Neighbours have 17 dogs between 5 houses.. unreal..
The partner will not say anything.
Had a small health scare and the car is being repaired.
Makes you realize how alone you are here.. And vulnerable.

Torn between a grown up family in Oz and looking back at the U.K. where I was born..

I have the choice...
Maybe my partner will not follow?
Maybe she will stop siphoning money and giving to her lazy son?
And stop telling me she has no money..
Thai lady secrets...

I'm starting to see the corruption more and more, plus the visa and immigration RIP offs.
Even DLT to register the car is extortion..
Use the agents...

The retirement visa and extensions plus reporting, plus residence certificates, plus registering as an alien every time you move location or return.

Time for some soul searching and a decision soon....
Time to be a grandpa and just accept that I am getting older.
Pension and bus pass... lol.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You have tugged t my heart-strings. How old are you please?

hardest for me is being so far from family (elderly mum, siblings, children and grandchildre) and some friends.  Visa and Immigration are a chore but not negative.  Cost of living still good even if it has risen and would be higher at home. 

Edited by ICECOOL

Just now, ICECOOL said:

hardest for me is being so far from family (elderly mum, siblings, children and grandchildren children) and some friends.  Visa and Immigration are a chore but not negative.  Cost of living still good even if it has risen and would be higher at home. 

I am in the same position, but there is Skype. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, masuk said:

In those countries which have NHS, prescription medicine is subsidised.     e.g. "lipitor" in Thailand costs B1900 for a 30 day supply.   In Australia it is B235.00.

Obviously you are correct but i don't believe that is true of all prescription drugs as i know someone from your country that has stated they are very affordable

Most can be purchased here from a pharmacy without even a consultation with a doctor  

Perhaps you should be getting a generic alternative to 'Liptor' (had to google it as i did not know what it was for but there are generic alternatives)

However you are correct, some can be expensive here as i have experienced it with some minor drugs if you want the well known brand

I am very surprised that no one has mentioned the cost of health insurance.

The basic costs here have now made it virtually impossible for residents from the UK to retire here if you factor in health insurance (which is why they will always rely on returning to the UK if things go tits up(but as we have seen recently is not always possible)

1 minute ago, dallen52 said:

Went to do the UK visa application and find she has siphoned her (My support) savings to do a money loan scheme with her cousin..
Plus what she keeps keeps giving her 19 son, who won't work..
Her bank account is now zilch.
She doesn't think it is important to tell me this.

I think she has blown her future, and old age protection..
Getting too old for silly Thai games...

GET RID A S A P, mate. I am 70, same 48 yr old (now) girl for 10 years, never touched a satang in my accounts even though she could have. Just got Visas for UK & Italy. You are obviously on different wavelengths. 

• Like 2

Pollution, 50 to 100% over WHO limits, horrible traffic, dirty filthy beaches/sewer water, vegetable pesticide poisoning, ridiculous immigration policies, rising cost of food overall, now almost comparable to my home country, gasoline absurdly high. $4 buck a liter, home country $2 bucks. Did I miss anything? Oh almost forgot, land confiscation, just ask the Isan farmers about this.

Pity the poor Thais who cant leave

• Like 2

Definately the Visa harassment that Thailand enjoys enforcing towards expats and retirees.

Ironically, one can buy property to retire but not own the small piece of land. This shows to what extent the system is biased and discriminates foreigners. Your money for sure, but don't think you can settle down with a hassle free VISA and don't touch our land.

Vietnam or other countries nearby have a bright future for expat and retirement money, comming in from the west.

The Thai drivers indiscipline comes next as who wants to live in a country if you are not independant enough to be able to drive your vehicle, but risk death at the next U-Turn ?

• Like 1

The biggest issue for me is the Third-World mail system.  I have received packages six months after arriving in Thailand but most are never received.  The issue of some things being unavailable, low quality or too expensive could easily be overcome these days if there was a competent mail system that one could depend on.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, uffe123 said:

$4 buck a liter

The Bht 27 I paid yesterday is USD 0.86 cents.  Maybe you are getting your liters (sorry litres) and gallons mixed up.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Definately the Visa harassment that Thailand enjoys enforcing towards expats and retirees.

Have you tried getting a Settlement Visa or even a Tourist Visa for UK or Schengen countries. Thailand is a doddle compared.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Have you tried getting a Settlement Visa or even a Tourist Visa for UK or Schengen countries. Thailand is a doddle compared.

Very true Sir. But who want's to go to the UK or a Schengen country to retire in winter ?:biggrin:

• Like 1