SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?  

330 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

You are quite correct.  Lets burst this farang comfort bubble right now.

Many people insist on only buying food form expensive farang oriented supermarkets too.. they would never consider buying anything.. be in vegetables, eggs, or meat, form a local Thai market.

These people also think eating at farang overpriced restaurants somehow means they are eating good quality 'safer' foods.

What they fail to understand is most of the food for these restaurants comes straight from the Thai markets... or Macro and is often the cheapest cuts / standard they can get... it's just the restaurant knows a few tricks of the trade to make poor quality meat and other products taste good... and then rip off their customers.  

Neighbour to me refused to accepts eggs from my ducks as she was scared there were no best before dates on them.. they weren't in an egg box, and they had been on the ground!!!!  She would also throw away most of her weekly shop as she though it had gone bad... even though it was still fresh (fruit looked as good as the day she got it).  

My wife does most of the shopping at the local market and buys 30 eggs at a time put in a plastic bag, uses only one pork butcher at the market and if I want a specific item like a leg of pork she orders it and the pork lady orders it from her supplier. It is usually delivered the following morning about 06:30. Veggies come from the local markets (we have 3 per week plus the daily one). For beef she goes 15km to a good beef butcher and buys/orders from them but no delivery.

I do a bulk shop once a month up at BigC and Makro 65km away for mostly non edible bulk stuff such as bog rolls, soap, shower gel, shampoo etc at Khampaeng Phet and that is the nearest "western" supermarket.

Very little food gets thrown away. If it isn't eaten next day then it goes to the cats or the neighbours dog, peelings, fruit skins etc go into the compost heap.

As my Mum used to say 50 or 60 years ago. "wan't not, waste not". I was born in 1944 and we had food rationing back then and nothing was wasted or thrown away. A pity I didn't practice that in the middle years of my life, but I am making up for it now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sapporillo said:

Hmmm...at a glance, impossible to tell, and I don’t care all that much either. My point was ...

My apologies -- I didn't know that you were making a point.

So at a glance you don;t know whether it is possible to tell whether Sizzler's beef really comes from Australia?

beefhttps://www.sizzler.co.th/en/menu-beef

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

My apologies -- I didn't know that you were making a point.

So at a glance you don;t know whether it is possible to tell whether Sizzler's beef really comes from Australia?

beefhttps://www.sizzler.co.th/en/menu-beef

Not really, if I’m honest. Or are you trying to tell me that if someone offers you a watch in Thailand, and it says ‘Rolex’ on it and it looks like a Rolex, then surely it must be a Rolex? Is there a food safety authority in Thailand which also punishes establishments who do false advertisement and does so regularly and effectively ? 

I never go to parties -- how am I supposed to know there is really a party? Maybe it's a trap or one of those Thai parties where you are invited and then presented a bill at the end. Maybe my house will be robbed if people know that I will be out at a party. You can never be too careful here as there is no Thai Ministry of Genuine Parties.

8 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I never go to parties -- how am I supposed to know there is really a party? Maybe it's a trap or one of those Thai parties where you are invited and then presented a bill at the end. Maybe my house will be robbed if people know that I will be out at a party. You can never be too careful here as there is no Thai Ministry of Genuine Parties.

So two more drawbacks then? You can’t go to parties, and nobody finds your jokes funny?

On 29/04/2018 at 6:14 AM, Cranky said:

The positives outweighed the negatives for years. Not any more.  Having kids tips the balance as it is simply not a place I'd want to raise them being such a lawless out of control feral environment full of scumbags - Pattaya.  Not to mention the ridiculous cost of a decent (maybe) education and very few options once that is completed unless overseas university is achievable and affordable.  Or a Thai university - to what end for them in that case ?  Some crap job paying next to nothing.

Planning the escape to Blighty.

I wonder how many farangs 1) aren't looking to work, but 2) have got kids who'll need higher education. If the Scottish government keeps their policy going, which seems likely, establishing residence just across the border (Dumfries, say) has its advantages. £36k per kid worth of higher education free. 

5 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

No -- I enjoy buying BETAgro chicken and occasionally going to Sizzler because I am not a paranoid like some.

As long as you enjoy it, I can see nothing wrong with it. However, if you strictly believe what you’re being told by advertisers, you could eventually be in for a surprise. It doesn’t have to be lies, but it doesn’t have to be true either, there’s plenty of precedents for that. No need to be paranoid. 

I believe companies like BETagro and Mr. Heinecke's Minor Group franchiser of Sizzler more than I believe the anecdotes that you have written with your $100 meals.

Edited by JLCrab

I was going to say visa, but Im also driving motorbike, so I guess motorbike, and Im aware of one day I might have an accident as well. So pain in ass is to have visa, insurance and traffic, and last it is sharks in the water :shock1:

I accept all of it, since I decided to live here, but what is not ok, is the system that drives Thailand. The daily reminder of how unfair life is for those who strive everyday, and do not go anywhere, and everything you worked for is gone next moment. 

Well my friend you are of the same mind if the locals “what will be will be” this destined to have the aforesaid accident.. totally not the right attitude to be on the roads.. advice use your trailing to be your god avoid death easy!! Mirror at least 1/3 of travel time as most killed from the back!! If on a bike don’t park even at lights directly behind someone that can’t stop a impact [emoji75][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, flyingfox1 said:

Well my friend you are of the same mind if the locals “what will be will be” this destined to have the aforesaid accident.. totally not the right attitude to be on the roads.. advice use your trailing to be your god avoid death easy!! Mirror at least 1/3 of travel time as most killed from the back!! If on a bike don’t park even at lights directly behind someone that can’t stop a impact emoji75.pngemoji106.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Im working hard to stay alive, but can not deny driving in Thailand is a game you can not win in the long turn, and first thing to accept. I know the danger, I know it is stupid,,,,,, hopefully it will keep me healthy and alive. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Plus who would take care of your dog?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

I believe companies like BETagro and Mr. Heinecke's Minor Group franchiser of Sizzler more than I believe the anecdotes that you have written with your $100 meals.

I agree that it wouldn’t be smart to believe what a guy (including me) on a forum says. I try and see if I can verify a particular claim by myself, at least to a certain degree. For instance, if I were to buy my food at Betagro, I would check on their website if they publish the names, addresses and a few pics of their producers, and if they allow the public to visit them (yes, some health-food brands do that). Doesn’t mean I would go visit these farms, but it would make me much less sceptical. I choose to remain doubtful - at the very least - especially when we’re talking about large companies. They have a business to run and money to make, that’s their bottom line. 

On 4/29/2018 at 12:14 PM, Cranky said:

The positives outweighed the negatives for years. Not any more.  Having kids tips the balance as it is simply not a place I'd want to raise them being such a lawless out of control feral environment full of scumbags - Pattaya.  Not to mention the ridiculous cost of a decent (maybe) education and very few options once that is completed unless overseas university is achievable and affordable.  Or a Thai university - to what end for them in that case ?  Some crap job paying next to nothing.

Planning the escape to Blighty.

Don't rush it. After a period in "Blighty" you may regret moving out. The grass is always greener.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2018 at 11:01 AM, oilinki said:

Visa and work permit issues is the biggest drawback for me and makes me wish to move to EU, where those can be avoided. 

Perhaps Thailand could adapt visa / permission of stay style from Hong Kong, where the extension to stay time increases the longer one has been in the country. That would let foreigners to think Thailand as a new permanent home country, rather than just a place to visit for an while. 

For example, visas could be granted:

First 1 year then 3 years, 5 years and finally permanent residency. 

Oh if only, if only this were to happen.  Brilliant idea.  Don't think it will happen in my lifetime though!!!!

18 minutes ago, tropo said:

Don't rush it. After a period in "Blighty" you may regret moving out. The grass is always greener.

And watching dogs and cats raining down in front of you might not be fun. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sapporillo said:

People say that quite often, but it’s only really true if you’re happy, healthy and not too poor. Otherwise it can seem extremely long and boring. 

Thank you. I am happy, healthy, and filthy rich ... and have no problem buying a pork chop without first visiting the hog farm.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Lived in Boca and that travel alone keeps me here. Have a place in NE Brazil and the best flight is 36 hours!

Wow ,and I thought I had it bad!

My medical insurance is in the US, and a preexisting condition that could be very expensive, and would not be covered by insurance in Thailand, so I need access to the US and the long distance is a problem.

Last trip we mitigated the long travel time by stopping at a midway location  (Greece) for a week. It worked out great.We will look in to doing more of that , especially after I retire and have more time.  

On 29/04/2018 at 9:31 AM, dallen52 said:

I was working here with the Blue Oval a few years.
Ranger programme at Rayong and Bangkok.
Fell in love with the place... Now retired.
Met some nice country Thai people, and my partner of five years.
Did some volunteer work in northern Thailand.
Have been back almost a year permanently this time, trying to set up a home, with my lady, half way between the two countries...
The partner has travelled to Aus a couple of times.
Looking at a trip to the U.K. in a few months.
Went to do the UK visa application and find she has siphoned her (My support) savings to do a money loan scheme with her cousin..
Plus what she keeps keeps giving her 19 son, who won't work..
Her bank account is now zilch.
She doesn't think it is important to tell me this.

I think she has blown her future, and old age protection..
Getting too old for silly Thai games...

They don't know when they are well off... do they...

(YES... No fool like an old fool... I know.)

Sent from my SM-T555 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think the relationship is the issue - not the location......

..and that is what it co es down to....”home” is where the heart is, and I fear that your is not in Thailand.

One year full time is clearly not enough to evaluate a place - but it is long enough to evaluate whether a relationship has longevity.

Leave Thailand for negative reasons and you may never settle wherever you go.

Consider leaving the current relationship but stay in Thailand. Test how big your balls, and independence, are. It could hold you in good stead for the future.

”Going back” rarely works unless it is a positive, rational decision.

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Thank you. I am happy, healthy, and filthy rich ... and have no problem buying a pork chop without first visiting the hog farm.

Good for you, I’m happy about that (seriously, no sarcasm). I was talking in general, not about you. Also, a difference of opinion doesn’t bother me at all, I hope you didn’t take any of this personally, that wasn’t my intention at all. 

I am into my 30th year with the the Missus and we have never encounterd any difficulties with either customs or Immigration. My wife has accompanied me to Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Qatar, Bahrain and Malaysia. Maybe we have just been lucky and have always had an open book for our Limited Company to accommodate any necessary changes.

On 4/29/2018 at 5:47 PM, billd766 said:

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet on the edge of the Mae Wong national park and make my own western food. I know what goes into my food and there are few if any preservatives.

For lunch today I roasted 3 kg of pork and got some great crispy crackling, I make my own bread and rolls, sausages, bacon, ham steak pies etc.

Loads of fresh air with black snow sometimes but rarely.

Same as you mate, but winemaking included also. 4 litres Tipco Red Grape, 1 kg sugar, lemon juice and some yeast I got from UK. Two week in plastic bucket, rack into glass jar for another 2, into Singha bottles for 2 more. Very palatable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig krup said:

I wonder how many farangs 1) aren't looking to work, but 2) have got kids who'll need higher education. If the Scottish government keeps their policy going, which seems likely, establishing residence just across the border (Dumfries, say) has its advantages. £36k per kid worth of higher education free. 

Plus of course the cost of getting there, buying or renting a house, and keeping one going here in Thailand. Not to mention the cost and problems of getting a UK visa for your wife.

Great way to save £36k.