Savvanahkhet trip

21 hours ago, jimster said:

I found the food scene in Savannakhet far superior to say Pakse, a much larger city where you can't even find French food. I drove around there for almost an hour trying to find a French restaurant that seems to have closed down. Nowadays in Pakse you can only find run of the mill western backpacker food, mediocre Vietnamese food and of course the usual Lao food. However, only Sinouk cafe and the restaurants inside the Champasak Grand Hotel have any decent food.

Savannakhet on the other hand has 2 good French restaurants, Chez Boune and another one next to the "night market" (the night market is currently not operating). Although i was the only customer when I went in both restaurants, they sure know how to cook a good meal and all for a reasonable price. Pilgrim's is good and cheap for a quick bite, they seem to employ a Filipino guy who i thought was the manager or owner when I was there but apparently not.

He's the owner and actually from India not the Phillipines, he's from Northeast India where the people are genetically like Burmese and Thais or Fillipinos for that matter. But he knows typical Hindustani Indian food well enough to make a good go of it. Popular with engineers from India working on various projects in Savankhet so I suppose that counts for something. Agree Chez Boune is good and not too far from Pilgrim's, it is a bit expensive but still good value.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman
  • Like 1

I was in Chez Boune last week, just tucking into my steak and all the electricity went off, I dined by the light from my phone for 10 minutes until it came back on, the whole area was out with storms..
Sounds like the electricity distribution system is actually very good if power was restored in ten minutes.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Update

So I did my visa last week

Mukdahan

Stayed at the kieng piman hotel. B450. Big room. Clean. A few local Thai eateries within walking distance. Strictly non smoking as signage everywhere. Even asked on check in that I didn't smoke, which I don't.
Staff very helpful. No English tv. WiFi very good.

Would I stay again. I'm not sure as I like a few more eateries within walking distance.

Have car park

savannakhet

Auara hotel B800.

Tried the Avalon hotel which is next door first but check in after 2pm. As it was 11am I walked next door to auara. They let me check in to Room immediately.

Clean but hard bed.no English tv. Restaurant which is expensive but ok. WiFi good. Will probably stay here again unless something better comes along.

There is now a mini mart near the bus station styled on a 7/11.

Both hotels were walk in prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah I forgot to mention the new mini Mart, a blast of cool air as you walk in and a decent selection of stock.  

Stayed at Aura two times now without any issues. I think if I stay for 4 nights again I will select something more central though.  I enjoy walking but to be honest was feeling the heat on this trip. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know there are no companies doing runs from Pattaya or even Bangkok to Savannakhet.

You will have to organize it yourself.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:38 PM, Swimman said:

I think you will discover that you will have to make your own arrangments - AFAIK  there are no 'visa run' companies who go to Savannakhet 

And praise the Lord or thank Christ for that!

Otherwise it would just turn into another shambles like Vientienne is, and ruin it for everybody else.

On 5/6/2018 at 12:00 PM, youreavinalaff said:

Are you talking about the one that is diagonally across from Hoong Thip? If you are then I'm sorry to say that it has gone. It is now a stationary shop. Shame. I went in there on my trip a few years back. Very nice it was. I did notice a new one right next door to HoongThip but did not go in. I had already had lunch on the floating restaurant "Savan Derm Lao.

Not sure about the other poster, but I was referring to the new one next to the Hoong Thip hotel. It appears to be part of the hotel itself.