"Impressive" Swiss ladies clearing up Samui but the locals should be "ashamed of themselves."

rooster59

10 hours ago, shamrock09 said:

The degree of cynicism I see when I read these replies fills me with despair. What is wrong with you people? Every Sunday foreigners go and clean beaches in Samui, why not join them?

Is there a sausage sizzle at the end ?

11 hours ago, shamrock09 said:

The degree of cynicism I see when I read these replies fills me with despair. What is wrong with you people? Every Sunday foreigners go and clean beaches in Samui, why not join them?

You, i'm afraid you are way off the mark.  Wish i could say different but i can't.  Its a cultural issue here. They are litter bugs and have been for generations.  They simply need to be taught to use bins but first the authorities need to go as far as to put bins on the beach in the first place.  They simply don't care.  They look upon foreigners doing the clean up with mixture of amusement and total ambivilance.

The cynicism to totally justified and until a change in habits is created from the top things will continue and granny on the cack of a bike to eight years olds on their way to school will continue to chuck whatever rubbish is in their hand with complete disinterest.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, peperobi said:

Very impressive the two ladies, unfortunately, it will need 100,000 and more examples till the peoples learn it, environment education must begin at school but the schools/temples to dismiss the rubbish in the same way.

<snip><snip>

IMG_0359.JPG

The most pics I've ever seen in a post; 18.

Point well made peperobi. Why don't the locals clean it up?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, carmine said:

Sadly they will clean the beach but the day after they leave it will be strewn again with locals and fishermans rubbish.

This.

Two decades ago I spent a day cleaning a beach. The locals that were on the beach at one point clapped for me. One even offered me more trash bags.

I didn't do it for them. I did it for the marine life.

23 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Rubbish in developing country tourist resorts is widespread and not peculiar to thailand....as hard as that is for some to process.

Fast food wrapping, soft drink bottles etc originated from the west.

Thais and others have just joined in the fun.

As for implying that foreigners rarely or never litter.....well that is a total crock.

Sadly every group has a few recalcitrants...thai and non thai.

I suppose the trash you see on every non developed piece of land inland blew in from the west as well?  Not all Thais pollute, but you should open your eyes, and do your research.  Even Thai people will tell you what you that their countrymen pollute.  If we don’t hold them accountable, there will be no progress 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Redline said:

I suppose the trash you see on every non developed piece of land inland blew in from the west as well?  Not all Thais pollute, but you should open your eyes, and do your research.  Even Thai people will tell you what you that their countrymen pollute.  If we don’t hold them accountable, there will be no progress 

Correct he's even contradicting what nearly all the Thais will tell you!!!  Whilst i'm sure he's well meaning its just this attitude that will ensure things never improve.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sambum said:

Good post, and have to agree with all of the content! Also put waste bins on the beaches, and people will use them - if there's nowhere to put your rubbish, not everybody will take it home with them for disposal! Even if you do, you still have the problem of what to do with it - as I have explained in another post. 

However, another solution has just sprung to mind - why not use the many hundreds of the RTP that have been transferred to "inactive posts" to help clean the beaches? :cheesy: If they are indeed "inactive", it would help them to keep fit, and also justify them being paid - at least they would be doing something useful!

Though it is a good idea, it is a progressive idea and progressive thinking is not practiced here. I have rarely seen it in the LOS. Just does not happen. There are a few who have open minds, and are ahead of the curve. Unfortunately none of them are in government or positions of leadership.

There are dozens of ways to address the litter problem. Dozens. If only anyone like the mayor cared.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

Nonsense on so many levels. Tourists cleaning up garbage is ridiculous. Expats saying Thais don't litter anymore or less than anyone else is complete bullsh-t that can be disproven by going anywhere there is a party, or gathering of any size. Saying that plastic and fast food wrappers originate in the west and therefore westerners are somehow complacent in the litter is the worse kind of culture apologizing. Thais as a whole, in this modern iteration of their culture, do not respect nature.  I could sight endless examples of chronic disregard for keeping natural spots natural but it would be a waste of time as those with their eyes open agree already and those who are going to try and draw equivalence will do so no matter the facts. Suffice it to say the national railway workers sweep the garbage that the 99% Thai customers throw on the floor out the open doors as the trains move across the country. 

• Like 2

An acquaintance told me a story of him putting waste bins on the beach. The day later the bins were promptly removed, and locals seemed outraged that a foreigner was interfering with Thai issues. 

Needless-to-say, he has never lifted a finger since. 

My advice is have your holiday, put up with the mess, but don't try and change a country which is clearly in the hands of Thais.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, peperobi said:

Very impressive the two ladies, unfortunately, it will need 100,000 and more examples till the peoples learn it, environment education must begin at school but the schools/temples to dismiss the rubbish in the same way.

Many "FARANGS" take over the Thai style and dismiss the rubbish as well in the same way.

I traveling often around Thailand and I see everywhere the same situation isn't mattered tourist destination or rural area.

The pics that you can see here are from our village, we do have a regularly rubbish collection that cost 20 Baht per month, that looks to be rubbish from the temple next to that place.

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

Wow! That would have taken a full roll of 35 mm film in the old days!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Though it is a good idea, it is a progressive idea and progressive thinking is not practiced here. I have rarely seen it in the LOS. Just does not happen. There are a few who have open minds, and are ahead of the curve. Unfortunately none of them are in government or positions of leadership.

There are dozens of ways to address the litter problem. Dozens. If only anyone like the mayor cared.

The mayor? Is that the guy who got the money to pay for the incinerator to be fixed?

On 4/28/2018 at 10:32 AM, Expatthailover said:

Rubbish in developing country tourist resorts is widespread and not peculiar to thailand....as hard as that is for some to process.

As for implying that foreigners rarely or never litter.....well that is a total crock.

Definitely, foreign and Thai perpetrators in the tourist areas; however, I think you will find your fill of rubbish in busy areas without many foreigners. I was in Yala a couple of weeks ago and saw plastic wrappers and bottles, paper product waste, cigarette butts, food scraps and miscellaneous non-descript trash all over.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, peperobi said:

Many "FARANGS" take over the Thai style and dismiss the rubbish as well in the same way.

I traveling often around Thailand and I see everywhere the same situation isn't mattered tourist destination or rural area.

The pics that you can see here are from our village, we do have a regularly rubbish collection that cost 20 Baht per month, that looks to be rubbish from the temple next to that place.

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

Yeah, I've seen the same thing in non-tourist areas.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 8:00 AM, wvavin said:

I am speechless. I really could not comprehend why they are doing this.

Wow really?  How about, because they care about the environment and want to do something about it, even in the face of apathy and stupidity?  I think it's commendable.  It's not going to change much but if everyone joins in, this problem can be solved.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Wow really?  How about, because they care about the environment and want to do something about it, even in the face of apathy and stupidity?  I think it's commendable.  It's not going to change much but if everyone joins in, this problem can be solved.  

Sounds a bit like the lyrics to "Imagine"! :sorry:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Sounds a bit like the lyrics to "Imagine"! :sorry:

No need to apologize.  I agree and I like that song.  I understand it's idealistic but I think it's also a true statement that peoples' actions do matter in society.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

No need to apologize.  I agree and I like that song.  I understand it's idealistic but I think it's also a true statement that peoples' actions do matter in society.  

Quite a few people on here would have taken offence at someone making light of their idealistic post, so thank you for taking it in the spirit that it was intended!

• Thanks 1

Officials from where ?

its not clear 

officials from their country or officials from Thailand

plus I take it they assume the rubbish is all thai rubbish. Couldn’t possibly be Forang or Burmese???

15 minutes ago, BigC said:

Officials from where ?

its not clear 

officials from their country or officials from Thailand

plus I take it they assume the rubbish is all thai rubbish. Couldn’t possibly be Forang or Burmese???

It's also not clear which post you are referring to!!!

25 minutes ago, sambum said:

Quite a few people on here would have taken offence at someone making light of their idealistic post, so thank you for taking it in the spirit that it was intended!

Haha what kind of peace loving tree hugging hippy would I be if I can't take a joke?  :-)  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, sambum said:

It's also not clear which post you are referring to!!!

11 minutes ago, BigC said:

The main post 

"Officials from where ? its not clear officials from their country or officials from Thailand"

The main post states:-

"But two local officials had a go at their litter tossing compatriots saying they should be ashamed that tourists were clearing up their mess.
Local officials Phumin and Thepasak called in Daily News and were also on hand to help. They gave the ladies some refreshing coconut water to thank them for their efforts."

In which case it's perfectly clear to me where the officials came from!

And very noble of the local officials to give them some refreshing coconut water to thank them for their efforts!  The local accounts department must be tearing their hair out at such an act of generosity from the public purse!
Edited by sambum

On 4/27/2018 at 8:32 PM, Expatthailover said:

Quit being an apologist. I have been to quite a few developing nations Including all in the region and none come close to the Thais in per capita rubbish creation. I would bet an average Thai vs. an average tourist would have a rubbish ratio of at least 100/1. Thais are not being mislabeled, they have earned their bad reputation.