Son caught with cannabis on the islands

There are always consequences for any change. It should be inscribed on any young tourist's forehead that drug possession in Thailand (and other SE Asia countries) is ILLEGAL and if caught then there are harsh penalties including long-term imprisonment (and if found guilty of trafficking it could be the death penalty in other countries).

It should be a salutatory lesson. 

Edited by stephenterry
addition to text.
  • Thanks 1

As far as Thailand police immigration and prosecution is concerned, and depending on where the person was arrested, they are capable of choosing/changing what route to take in regards of visa expiries, overstays or whatever, so I wouldn't take anything for granted except to have plenty of dosh to cater for any 'get out of jail free' contingencies.

Lucky this guy had the necessary. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Don't let us get sexist about this, it doesn't make any difference these days as nobody seems to know what they are, or care.

Sexist? I don't get your point. Did you even read why I replied? 

21 hours ago, Mum2 said:

No I am not condoning his actions at all - I am livid with him. 

As for the 2nd point, he would have been charged with overstaying, this is now the procedure, two people he met in a similar situation did not arrange and pay for  a visa extension and were charged 20000 Thai baht for overstaying  on top of their fine for the drugs

Hi,

I think the possible confusion may be that the two people he met did not go and tell Immigration immediately upon release on bail that they had been arrested, bailed and had upcoming court appearances.

If that was the case and there was a substantial delay in notifying the Immigration authorities of their predicament, it is possible that they went into overstay and got no assistance from Immigration until that matter was resolved.

If they reported themselves to immigration within a reasonable timeframe, it would have had to be accepted.

Seems very harsh banning your son for life for some cannabis in my view, when they have so many bigger issues they are not addressing, but their laws and their country I suppose.

• Like 1

Can confirm that there is a working system in place for those people caught up in legal proceedings in Thailand, whereby they are NOT charged for overstay simply because they did not have access to their passport and we're unable to leave at the time their original leave by date expired.

The earlier post by the OP saying her son would have been charged overstay is simply incorrect.

• Like 1

So incredible that it was not possible to bribe his way out on the most corrupted place of the Kingdom.

It seems that when idiots in uniform do not accept money, it is because they already got too much the same day, and they want to show that they are somehow working.

The full story is crazy, and I wish the worst to anybody thinking that it's acceptable to make so much trouble for weed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IDC is a terrible place it can hold up to 80 people and that was in room 2, you would be locked up for 4 days and let out for 2 hour exercise and to bye  items if you had noney many poor people have been in there for years. I KNOW BECAUSE IVE BEEN THER AND DONE IT.

• Like 1