Paid deposit for new gate but worker is not delivering on agreement

ghworker2010

We had a guy come and give a quote 20,000 to install an internal aluminum gate structure to be installed at the entry point of a stair case in our building. At the time they said that they needed 10k to buy the materials. We did that bank transfer. We told him we wanted it to be installed 6th May which is when we move into the building. 

Then the day before songkran the wife of the guy called my wife 6 times asking for a further 3000 baht. I said to her that we should get a copy of his id card and was told dont worry about it as the guy is referred by our landlord. Instead I asked to see a photo of the work in progress which he supplied. 

We have been calling him and his wife asking for updates and further photos and they have not sent it to us. Now they are not answering the phone. 

All we have is their bank acc number and evidence of the 2 deposits. 

If they dont do the job for us what are our rights? Is the police the only option? Are they going to be able to get the guys address via the bank account?

thanks

10 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Just refer the police to the contract you both signed !!

Not sure if you are jabing or sincere.     I see no reference in his post regarding a signed contract.

For the sake of the OP,  I hope he has one or I'd figure I just gave a gift to someone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As said you do have a signed agreement as normal for any contract and receipt for deposit (or noted on agreement)?  

Edit:  reread and note "All we have is their bank acc number and evidence of the 2 deposits.".

Explaining to person who recommended might be first step.

Edited by lopburi3

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As said you do have a signed agreement as normal for any contract and receipt for deposit (or noted on agreement)?  

Edit:  reread and note "All we have is their bank acc number and evidence of the 2 deposits.".

Explaining to person who recommended might be first step.

no contract. Just bank deposits and some evidence on LINE where he sent some photos. 

What can we do?

• Sad 2

Was the verbal agreement you had extend to calls for updates and photos?  Some people would find that annoying.

6 May is only a week away.  If your agreement wasn't for anything before that, he isn't in violation yet.

I'd agree with the comment above about talking to the person who referred you to him. 

A contract is not worth the paper it’s written on here in Thailand I have had an ongoing issue for 9 months with a big glass company in Bangkok and the sad thing is the CEO is a German so it’s not just Thais who fail to fulfil the work they agreed to do ?

• Like 2

Hate to be blunt about this, but it sounds like you've kissed your money goodbye. There's no contract, apparently, and even if there was, it would take years to settle in court (presuming the worker is still around). And the police aren't interested as they consider it a civil matter. 

This has happened to a friend of mine -- his substantial amount of money was spent on gambling debts and the contractor just laughed in his face and walked away.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They robbed you. You are never getting it back and the police won't care. I use a contractor that I trust to work in my home and businesses and twice he subbed the job out and the subcontractor either did shit work that needed to be completely redone or they just ran off with the deposit. Both times my contractor ate the losse. My opinion is that if Thais are will to screw my Thai contractor occasionally then they would probably do it to me regularly. He gives me receipts for every purchase and is very affordable. I am well aware I found a rare gem. 

31 minutes ago, csabo said:

They robbed you. You are never getting it back and the police won't care. I use a contractor that I trust to work in my home and businesses and twice he subbed the job out and the subcontractor either did shit work that needed to be completely redone or they just ran off with the deposit. Both times my contractor ate the losse. My opinion is that if Thais are will to screw my Thai contractor occasionally then they would probably do it to me regularly. He gives me receipts for every purchase and is very affordable. I am well aware I found a rare gem. 

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Never pay for anything in advance in Thailand. Pay only when you have got exactly what you want in your hands.

No. If you use ordinary craftmen/repairmen in TH usually you have to pay at least for the needed materials in advance (not for government agencies or big contractors, but they are much more expensive).

• Like 2

If you only paid for materials so far, have they been purchased? 

If some or all materials are at the job site 

Get someone else to erect them as you watch and pay when complete 

This guy maybe unreliable but at least you didn't lose a lot of money (relatively) 

No. If you use ordinary craftmen/repairmen in TH usually you have to pay at least for the needed materials in advance (not for government agencies or big contractors, but they are much more expensive).

Yes, it is pretty common to put a percentage down with the order and make progress payments, with the final payment due after completion and acceptance of all work.

Many companies are capitalized such that they can’t afford the risk.

I just contracted a guy for a new roof, paint and some concrete work. I would much rather put money down than have him cut-corners on material.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, rossd said:

Whenever we have work done on our bungalow we purchase the material and pay the subbie for labour only. You should never allow your subbie to provide the materials, you will only get screwed.

Not always the case, if it weren't for one of the subbies I took on I would have paid far more for some materials, some people have good contacts and not everyone is crooked, although trusting someone does increase the chances of getting ripped off, in my case it took a little while to trust him but I was glad I did, he went out of his way to source me the best price.

Edited by Kieran00001
  • Like 1

On 29.4.2018 at 10:23 AM, cornishcarlos said:

Just refer the police to the contract you both signed !!

The police don't want do something because it is a private case in their eyes.

Go to the consumer protection board. They will connect the company and maybe bring the case to the police /court.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Never pay for anything in advance in Thailand. Pay only when you have got exactly what you want in your hands.

In Thailand ! This happens all over the world not just Thailand !!!!

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I'm guessing you've never had any building or maintenance work done in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter, judging by your comment...

Edited by Tofer

3 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Hate to be blunt about this, but it sounds like you've kissed your money goodbye. There's no contract, apparently, and even if there was, it would take years to settle in court (presuming the worker is still around). And the police aren't interested as they consider it a civil matter. 

This has happened to a friend of mine -- his substantial amount of money was spent on gambling debts and the contractor just laughed in his face and walked away.

I would have dressed up as a Ladyboy one Night and thrown him off a Balcony.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

Not at all. Many other countries have laws to protect consumers.

The guy has another week to complete the job as agreed..... And finish dates are usually late so I wouldn't call it a scam just yet.... 

Especially since he's already bought some materials and started the work

The guy has another week to complete the job as agreed..... And finish dates are usually late so I wouldn't call it a scam just yet....

Neither would I. My comment was general and I will repeat it: never pay anything up front in Thailand.

• Like 1