Windows 10 'April 2018 Update' is coming April 30

Pib

I just noticed in below ZDNet article it says us common folks should start seeing the update on 8 May/Tuesday.   Apparently the 30 Apr roll-out is if you initiate the update....just can't wait.  I can wait.

Q: When will existing Windows 10 users be able to get the April 2018 update?

A: Tech savvy users who are interested in proactively grabbing the April 2018 Update can get it starting on April 30 by downloading it. Microsoft will start rolling it out to other Windows 10 users via Windows Update on Tuesday, May 8.

Edited by Pib

42 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I had this update on my main PC today, no problems at all! 

You sure?  There was another minor update released this week, but it was not the big April update talked about in this thread to be released on 30 Apr.

What version of Windows are you running?  If it still says version 1709, like the snapshot below from my computer, you didn't get the big April update yet.

image.png.f7bd9918320fa484670f85186e10192c.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pib said:

You sure?  There was another minor update released this week, but it was not the big April update talked about in this thread to be released on 30 Apr.

What version of Windows are you running?  If it still says version 1709, like the snapshot below from my computer, you didn't get the big April update yet.

image.png.f7bd9918320fa484670f85186e10192c.png

Thanks, doesn't seem to be the one. 

ScreenShot_20180429193411.png

Edited by jenny2017

1 hour ago, Swimman said:

Then you must have initiated it .......... but from where?  -- Microsoft has not yet released the update 

Sorry, I'm still on 1709, please see screenshot. 

It seems that they'll start to roll it out in May, please see:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-spring-creators-update-how-to-get-it-early/

ScreenShot_20180429193411.png

Edited by jenny2017

Yea, when you get this April update you will know it as it will take a while to install....something like 30 minutes they say...and that's down from the approx 60 minutes that previous major semi-annual updates required. 

Supposedly this major update is suppose to be done somewhat differently to reduce the downtime from approx 60 to 30 minutes by installing some of the update in the background after initially installing the core portion.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yea, when you get this April update you will know it as it will take a while to install....something like 30 minutes they say...and that's down from the approx 60 minutes that previous major semi-annual updates required. 

Supposedly this major update is suppose to be done somewhat differently to reduce the downtime from approx 60 to 30 minutes by installing some of the update in the background after initially installing the core portion.  

I'm backing up now.....

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Doing an image back up right now.  Also reading how to delay/defer updates in Win10.

Just switched on the 35 day delay option.

Hope it works.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just switched on the 35 day delay option.

Hope it works.

Ditto for me. 

I have never delayed in installing a minor or major Windows update, but I'm going to this time.   Maybe not the full 35 days but probably a few weeks.   I watch the MS hate mail on the update....a lot of hate mail is BS...but some is not depending on your machine/software/etc.

And for those who want to use the 35 day pause option to the max, since MS is not supposed to "push" this major update until 8 May a person could remove the pause say on 7 May and then reset the pause to get even more time/restart the 35 day pause clock.   If you want the update before 8 May supposedly a person needs to force the update by going to the MS website and using the Media Creator Tool which effectively forces the update.

However, whenever you remove the 35 day pause Windows "automatically checks for updates before allowing your to reset/reactivate the update pause clock."   Out of curiosity  I turned on and then turn off the 35 day pause a few minutes ago...when turning it off the red text below appeared...see snapshot below.  But after it finished checking for updates (actually I just clicked Check for Updates to speed up the process) the red text disappeared and I was able to reset the 35 day pause..

image.png.16e0155d0a2664d174f5df3b0786772c.png

• Like 1

Just for crossfeed for those not running Pro edition, below is what the main update screen looks like after you activate the 35 day pause.   And I've always wondered why MS picked "35" days....seems to be an odd number versus some number humans or more use to hearing like 30 days, 14 days/two weeks, etc.    But hey, a 35 day pause is better than 30 if you want as much delay as possible.:smile:

image.png.a296ece40f07ab4f5859c09d0b230bfc.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Just for crossfeed for those not running Pro edition, below is what the main update screen looks like after you activate the 35 day pause.   And I've always wondered why MS picked "35" days....seems to be an odd number versus some number humans or more use to hearing like 30 days, 14 days/two weeks, etc.    But hey, a 35 day pause is better than 30 if you want as much delay as possible.:smile:

image.png.a296ece40f07ab4f5859c09d0b230bfc.png

Paused mine as well. Let's wait and see with what bugs they come up with, of course soon visible in certain forums. 

6 hours ago, Swimman said:

Those running Windows 10 - Home Edition do not have this option

Set your WiFi or Network to "Metered" - I have 1 PC that runs Home and have been doing that for the last several editions of W10

Or...stop and disable the Update Service

Really good video.

As I mentioned earlier....I have Win 10 Pro on my Lenovo 'puters....just the delay/pause updates options in Pro which the regular Home version does not have makes Pro worth the extra money if a person paid extra for Pro. 

I say "if paying extra" since a person can usually get a Pro license for no more or just a little more than the Home version when buying a license off places like Ebay.   I know, I know, but is it a valid license?...save comment for that in the many other threads which has already discussed that subject to no end.  Like I paid around 13 (thirteen) Euros each for my two Pro licenses off Ebay in Sep 15 (fifteen)....both still working fine on my two laptops.   

As mentioned earlier right now I have both my 'puters set to the 35 day pause option.  This is first time I have ever delayed getting Win 10 updates (feature or quality) because I had issues with the last major Win 10 update (version 1709) last year which required me to Reset my Computer (i.e., basically a reinstall Win 10 on both and some apps) to get them working right again....they have been fine since.   This time around I'm waiting a month or so before allowing the major update just to give MS a little extra time to issue patches....like the 1803  patch for the Chrome freezing issue some folks are experiencing with ver 1803...this patch is suppose to come out o/a 8 May....and I bet MS releases more patches for 1803 before May is finished.   Maybe the patch for the extra drive partition showing up for some folks will also be in the 8 May release.

Yes, Me Wait A Little Longer this time around....hopefully it helps. 

As a reminder, on 8 May is when MS is suppose to start pushing out ver 1803 as a update whether you want it or not. 

So far, those folks who have got ver 1803 are supposedly those who initiated the 1803 update by downloading the ISO or clicking Check of Updates versus just letting the computer periodically check for updates.  Although your computer probably checks for updates every day it's a different request to MS than when you click Check for Updates.    When you click Check for Updates you are basically saying I want whatever update is available right now...even if it's a major feature update such as ver 1803.

So if you are going to change any update settings in your Windows to possibly delay/pause ver 1803 for a while you better do it today, because come tomorrow it may be too late.

Right, thought it was a good thread bump last night.

When you started this thread, although I was on automatic updates, I clicked the button to check for updates, and was surprised there was one.   It took a while, and I thought I screwed up and somehow was getting the "big one" you were talking about.  But it wasn't.  Whew!  

image.png.f2ae61ee98e30fe8beaccf5859c1fa12.png

Double checked the manual DISABLE update settings last night, looks good still.   The "Check for Updates" button is still enabled but when I click on it, spins for a while then returns an unable to process error, so it's definitely OFF OFF.

11 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Right, thought it was a good thread bump last night.

When you started this thread, although I was on automatic updates, I clicked the button to check for updates, and was surprised there was one.   It took a while, and I thought I screwed up and somehow was getting the "big one" you were talking about.  But it wasn't.  Whew!  

image.png.f2ae61ee98e30fe8beaccf5859c1fa12.png

Double checked the manual DISABLE update settings last night, looks good still.   The "Check for Updates" button is still enabled but when I click on it, spins for a while then returns an unable to process error, so it's definitely OFF OFF.

Yea, assuming you mean you clicked on 29 Apr/when this thread was started,  the KB105 update above was released 23 Apr....it's not the 1803 update.  Plus, the 1803 update only became available on 30 Apr only if a person "forced" the download by downloading the ISO and/or possibly clicking Check for Updates.

image.png.cd66ca54369a06005ff68362fbfb5883.png

Just now, Pib said:

Yea, assuming you mean you clicked on 29 Apr/when this thread was started,  the KB105 update above was released 23 Apr....it's not the 1803 update.  Plus, the 1803 update only became available on 30 Apr only if a person "forced" the download by downloading the ISO and/or possibly clicking Check for Updates.

image.png.cd66ca54369a06005ff68362fbfb5883.png

Odd it didn't download automatically between then and the 29th, until I hit the Check for Updates button that evening.   Doesn't matter now, just thought it was odd at the time.