Problems booking a domestic flight with Air Asia

Dario

We want to make a short trip from Buriram to Don Muang. currently AirAsia is offering ALL IN tickets for 456 Baht per sector. So I booked BFV - DMK 21 05 2018 09:15 out and return DMK-BFV 22 05 2018 12:25. It shows 1'368 Baht out and 1'368 Baht return = total 2'736 Baht. But when I continue to put in the identietes of the PAX, I'm suddenly shown a total of 2'478 Baht out and 2'478 Baht return = 4'956 Baht. What is it now? 456 Baht all in x 3 x 2 = 2'736 Baht. What is the difference of 2'220 Baht? Can anyone enlighten me?

5ae80888b026f_AirAsiabooking21-22052018B

5ae808a2c7c2a_AirAsiabooking21-22052018B

I just made an AA  booking yesterday (to Siam Reap) and found a similar but not identical 'problem'. Once I selected the flights, with all the taxes shown, on the next page an additional 1200+ baht had been added on with no explanation. I then had to click on continue to the following page to find out that the added amounts were for check-in luggage and insurance. So after refusing these extras I was back to the original price.

Just don't try booking a flight after a few beers, it could work out expensive!

I called AA and was told that the option of check-in baggage is added automatically. If you don't want 20 kg check-n luggage you have to remove them and insurance as well if you don't want. That's what I was told. BUT: there is no way to remove these options! Have I missed something? Has anyone been successful?

2 minutes ago, Dario said:

I called AA and was told that the option of check-in baggage is added automatically. If you don't want 20 kg check-n luggage you have to remove them and insurance as well if you don't want. That's what I was told. BUT: there is no way to remove these options! Have I missed something? Has anyone been successful?

Did you click continue.

47 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I then had to click on continue to the following page to find out that the added amounts were for check-in luggage and insurance. So after refusing these extras I was back to the original price.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Did you click continue.

Yes, I did. And then check-in luggage and insurance was added. For me (and everybody else I guess) it is the same: no way to remove the check-in luggage and insurance!

I finally found the solution.

Once you have booked the flights, 20 kg of check-in luggage and PAX insurance has been automatically added. Then you have to click "Continue". On the next page you fill in the passenger(s) details. Then you click again "Continue". THIS is the page where you can edit the "Extras." you can change luggage to more kilos or no check-in luggage. Here it is where you can remove the automatically added check-in luggage! You can also cancel the 299 Baht (per sector?) per passenger insurance. You then can add meals and pay for seat reservation.

This should help a lot of TV members to successfully navigate on the AA website.

Ubonjoe, can this be made sticky? It would benefit lots of people! 

Welcome to wonderful world of AA booking.

I know this since the first time I tried booking with them.

Now they even advertise prices without taxes.

I bet it was not that bad in the past.

Booking with them reminds me of finding out of a labyrinth.

It gets worse and worse and will lead to other airlines following the example.

Bloody expensive BTW.

They know hot to use the weak competition on this route.

AA has a horrible website, we always book through an agent.

Makes me laugh when they have a "Big Sale". Prices are just the same without the sale.

I feel a little compensated by the luscious red uniforms though....

:goof:

12 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Welcome to wonderful world of AA booking.

I know this since the first time I tried booking with them.

Now they even advertise prices without taxes.

I bet it was not that bad in the past.

Booking with them reminds me of finding out of a labyrinth.

It gets worse and worse and will lead to other airlines following the example.

Bloody expensive BTW.

Well, I guess 70-80% of AA passengers don't know how to navigate (just like me until about an hour or so ago) on the AA website and just pay those add-ons. Good income for the airline.

Just a simple calculation: insurance, 299 Baht per sector. If the A320 is fully booked, that makes 299 x 148 = 44'252 Baht x 2 (return flight) is 88'504 Baht, only for insurance. This is pure net income for the airline. Now think about seat allocation which is payable, etc.

For me it is obvious that the AA website is made this way on purpose, the reason behind is to generate more income from bookers who don't know better or don't like to argue. 

KhunBENQ, flights (on promotion) are not so expensive  once you take all those add-ons away.

you have to pay attention to pre-ticked boxes for paid add ons as you progress through the site.

on the plus side the large number of people who dont take care with these add ons help keep the basic price/price paid  low for the rest of us.

24 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Bloody expensive BTW.

For comparison: Khon Kaen - Suvarnabhumi, same dates, Thai Smile.

2300 Baht return incl. 20 kg baggage.

Total price shown from the first step.

But as written, they will have to follow the AA methods of price cover-up as too many people are unaware.

AA Buriram - Don Muang 912 Baht return, only 7 kg of hand luggage, but that's OK for staying just "One Night In Bangkok". Sprinter train fare is more. 

Another problem now: payment. If I want to use my credit card, I have to pay 578 Baht on an amount of 2'736 Baht, So that is out. When I choose online banking, I'm charged 54 Baht. I can absorb that. I chose Bangkok Bank. NOW THE PROBLEM. There is no Bangkok Bank account number shown where I can pay to.

I only do this trip for 2 reasons. To get a new ATM card at BBL Don Muang AP branch (they wouldn't send me the card) and to get my little daughter on the plane.

29 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Yep, I tried to book a ticket last month, but the 'pay at 7-11' option has gone.

It's not generally gone.

Either too short before flying (was it 72 hours?) or booking a flight starting outside of Thailand.

Why not use over the counter? Cash payment at 10 different merchants possible (not only 7/11).

aaoverthecounter.jpg

Another option is paying at the ATM (booking is held for 24 hours) from your account at:

Bangkok Bank, SCB, K-Bank, KTB or Krungsri.

29 minutes ago, Dario said:

THE PROBLEM. There is no Bangkok Bank account number shown where I can pay to.

Payment by bank transfer. This indeed is never offered.

Paying by direct debit via internet banking is possible for 8 different banks.

Of course you need an account with internet access.

I chose Internet banking and Bangkok Bank, proceeded to finalize my booking and whoop, the page froze, their website had problems. I found a booking number, but no bank account details. Drive to 7Eleven? It's a long way from my home, that's why I have online banking on all my bank accounts.

I'm using a solid state drive on the machine I'm booking and have 200MB down Internet, no problems from my side.

Everybody hanging on the AA site now with promotions in progress and public holiday. I'll try again to make another booking during the night. 

5 minutes ago, Dario said:

I chose Internet banking and Bangkok Bank, proceeded to finalize my booking and whoop, the page froze, their website had problems

Well that's another topic then (purely technical).

Most likely by some pop-up blocker in the browser.

The bank site needs to come up as a pop-up (as far as I remember, I can't test that of course).

5 minutes ago, Dario said:

Drive to 7Eleven?

Tesco? BigC? TOPS? Family Mart? and some others.

No ATM around?

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Well that's another topic then (purely technical).

Most likely by some pop-up blocker in the browser.

The bank site needs to come up as a pop-up (as far as I remember, I can't test that of course).

Tesco? BigC? TOPS? Family Mart? and some others.

No ATM around?

Presently I live out in the sticks, 7Eleven and Tesco are in the same town.

3 minutes ago, Dario said:

Presently I live out in the sticks, 7Eleven and Tesco are in the same town.

Sounds familiar :biggrin: 16 km to 7/11.

As written, either try again or find out why the "payment bridge"(?) site of the bank does not come up. There should come a site that shows your bank's logo and you will be sent an OTP (pin) to your mobile phone that you will have to enter.

(roughly described)

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sounds familiar :biggrin: 16 km to 7/11.

As written, either try again or find out why the "payment bridge"(?) site of the bank does not come up. There should come a site that shows your bank's logo and you will be sent an OTP (pin) to your mobile phone that you will have to enter.

(roughly described)

Tried again at 00:35 and it worked. Clicked on online payment, Bangkok Bank and was led to my online account. Was sent an OTP, put that in, paid the total, it went through. Then it said: Log off and go back to payee's website. I did that, went to 'My Bookings' the on to 'Manage my Bookings', but the page doesn't open. Maybe in the morning, who knows ... But anyway, it looks like we got cheap flights booked and paid.  

Edit: just received 2 emails from AA, stating that payment was successful and booking and flight details. Finally all is OK. So we're flying for less than 2'800 Baht the three of us Buriram-BKK-Buriram. After many, many years I tried AA again. 

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's not generally gone.

Either too short before flying (was it 72 hours?) or booking a flight starting outside of Thailand.

Why not use over the counter? Cash payment at 10 different merchants possible (not only 7/11).

You may be right it was the day before. No 'over the counter' option was displayed.

At least the original AA quoted price with taxes CAN be achieved once one learns to deal with the extra-charge snares intentionally laid by the AA company.

Compare with Bangkok Airways where the apparently acceptable 'come on' price is then grotesquely engorged by the taxes......the taxes alone applied to a Siam Reap return flight are far higher than the total AA price including flight, taxes and extra charges.

Note on this - have encountered issues with Chrome (my preferred browser) doing the final payment stage of airline bookings for several Thai airlines

Times out or cannot get past the confirm page

In those cases, I have had to use Edge or IE - and the same flight booking with the same payment method goes through

Just for info

Archived