South Korea president says Trump deserves Nobel Peace Prize

webfact

South Korea president says Trump deserves Nobel Peace Prize

By Hyonhee Shin

2018-04-30T093646Z_1_LYNXMPEE3T0DZ_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

FILE PHOTO - U.S. President Donald Trump arrives to speak at a Make America Great Again Rally in Washington, Michigan April 28, 2018. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korean President Moon Jae-in said U.S. President Donald Trump deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to end the standoff with North Korea over its nuclear weapons programme, a South Korean official said on Monday.

"President Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize. What we need is only peace," Moon told a meeting of senior secretaries, according to a presidential Blue House official who briefed media.

Moon and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on Friday pledged at a summit to end hostilities between their countries and work towards the "complete denuclearisation" of the Korean peninsula.

Trump is preparing for his own summit with Kim, which he said would take place in the next three to four weeks.

The Trump administration has led a global effort to impose ever stricter sanctions on North Korea and the U.S. president exchanged bellicose threats with Kim in the past year over North Korea's development of nuclear missiles capable of reaching the United States.

In January, Moon said Trump "deserves big credit for bringing about the inter-Korean talks. It could be a resulting work of the U.S.-led sanctions and pressure".

Trump's predecessor, Barack Obama, won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize just months into his presidency, an award many thought was premature, given that he had little to show for his peace efforts beyond rhetoric.

Even Obama said he was surprised and by the time he collected the prize in Oslo at the end of that year, he had ordered the tripling of U.S. troops in Afghanistan.

As well as Obama, three U.S. presidents have won the Nobel Peace Prize: Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, and Jimmy Carter.

Moon's Nobel Prize comment came in response to a congratulatory message from Lee Hee-ho, the widow of late South Korean President Kim Dae-jung, in which she said Moon deserved to win the prize, the Blue House official said.

Moon responded by saying Trump should get it.

Trump on Monday suggested his planned meeting with Kim take place at the Peace House on the border between North and South Korea.

The upcoming Trump-Kim meeting was the main subject of a private walk and chat that Kim and Moon had during their meeting at the border, the official said.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday that Trump would maintain a "pressure campaign" of harsh sanctions on North Korea until Kim scraps his nuclear weapon programme.

(Reporting by Hyonhee Shin in Seoul; Additional reporting by David Brunnstrom in Washington; Writing by Josh Smith; Editing by Nick Macfie and Alistair Bell)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-02
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

NK meeting with South Korea where "South Korean officials had told Trump that Kim voiced a commitment to the “denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula” and pledged to refrain from any further nuclear or missile tests while talks were ongoing.' That  led to request for meeting with Trump, who agreed, which led to meeting with Xi.

Please take your total nonsense somewhere else. There was a meeting and talks with president Xi before that, which led to Kim telling Trump about denuclearization. Of course Kim want to contact Trump for talk. That is only to get many of the sanctions lifted.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

I assume this was done in the spirit of flattery, as Donald likes that bigly.

Hey, if war criminal Kissinger can get the prize, I guess anyone is eligible

Calling someone a "war criminal" is like calling your post a smart and credible one. Both have not been proven by a recognized court of law.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, alocacoc said:

But what does the president of South Korea really know? The real experts are here in this forum. And they say, Trump hasn't to do anything with it. Might they be wrong? is that even possible?

Sent from a so called Smartphone using an App.

Well perhaps the President of South Korea can just come out and say it, instead of an 'unnamed Government source' - you know, the type that Trump and Sanders say that 'nothing that comes from an unnamed source can be considered credible'.

Edited by Andaman Al
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alocacoc said:

But what does the president of South Korea really know? The real experts are here in this forum. And they say, Trump hasn't to do anything with it. Might they be wrong? is that even possible?

Presuming he wants Trump's support he could hardly say ' Trump had nothing to do with this, if anything he made it much harder' now could he.

And as Al just pointed out, he didn't even say it himself.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Maybe the judges will go all radical and award Kim the peace prize.

What about considering the prize for our own dear General who has ended corruptiin, brought reconciliation & lasting peace to Thailand which will very soon also have a very free & fair democratic election after decades??

• Haha 2

Presuming he wants Trump's support he could hardly say ' Trump had nothing to do with this, if anything he made it much harder' now could he.

And as Al just pointed out, he didn't even say it himself.

Sure, it's your right to deflect yourself. I don't like it, but I have to accept it. Think a step further. Where do you want to go from here?

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

Sure, it's your right to deflect yourself. I don't like it, but I have to accept it. Think a step further. Where do you want to go from here?

Deflecting? No, just giving my opinion.

8 hours ago, Get Real said:

There was a meeting and talks with president Xi before that, which led to Kim telling Trump about denuclearization. Of course Kim want to contact Trump for talk. That is only to get many of the sanctions lifted.

No there wasn't.  But I'm happy to be be proved wrong if you can show me where and when. Get real. indeed.

10 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

No there wasn't.  But I'm happy to be be proved wrong if you can show me where and when. Get real. indeed.

I do not need to do that at all. It´s just a fact, that I guess you can find easy yourself. It´s just that you appearently are an american and positive to Trump.
It´s not the first time people from your country have been to blind to see that you ain´t so great and the ones that make all things happen.

By the way, here is some interesting links for you. I guess you are going to find some way of explaining that. Maybe you are just going to say that it´s fake news. It´s starting to become an american tradition. :cheesy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/world/asia/kim-jong-un-china-north-korea.html

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/27/asia/north-korea-kim-jong-un-china-visit/index.html

So, you do not believe he was put under pressure during that meeting? If not, up to you.

Edited by Get Real
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Get Real said:

I do not need to do that at all. It´s just a fact, that I guess you can find easy yourself. It´s just that you appearently are an american and positive to Trump.
It´s not the first time people from your country have been to blind to see that you ain´t so great and the ones that make all things happen.

It is not a fact, which I cannot find easily, because it never happened. Yes, I am an American and no, I am not a supporter of Trump. You are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

It is not a fact, which I cannot find easily, because it never happened. Yes, I am an American and no, I am not a supporter of Trump. You are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts.

Kim Jong-un Met With Xi Jinping in Secret Beijing Visit

March 27, 2018

North Korea’s enigmatic young leader, Kim Jong-un, made an unannounced visit to Beijing, meeting with President Xi Jinping weeks before planned summit meetings with American and South Korean leaders, Chinese and North Korean state news media reported on Wednesday.

The visit amounted to Mr. Kim’s international debut: It was the 34-year-old leader’s first trip outside North Korea since he took power in 2011, and his first meeting with another head of state. The surprise discussions added another layer of complexity to the rush of global diplomacy around North Korea’s nuclear weapons program.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/world/asia/kim-jong-un-china-north-korea.html

5 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Kim Jong-un Met With Xi Jinping in Secret Beijing Visit

March 27, 2018

North Korea’s enigmatic young leader, Kim Jong-un, made an unannounced visit to Beijing, meeting with President Xi Jinping weeks before planned summit meetings with American and South Korean leaders, Chinese and North Korean state news media reported on Wednesday.

The visit amounted to Mr. Kim’s international debut: It was the 34-year-old leader’s first trip outside North Korea since he took power in 2011, and his first meeting with another head of state. The surprise discussions added another layer of complexity to the rush of global diplomacy around North Korea’s nuclear weapons program.

Yes,I know and it wasn't a secret.

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, lannarebirth said:

Yes,I know and it wasn't a secret.

But you just wrote that "it never happened?.

"Mr. Kim’s trip unfolded in extraordinary secrecy and security; it was confirmed only after he left Beijing on the same armored train that stirred speculation when it arrived mysteriously in the Chinese capital on Monday. "