So here is the dilemma, if not Thailand then where?

webfact

10 hours ago, poanoi said:

thailand visa has cost me 40k+ baht per year on an average,

that would eradicate whatever cost of living there is in caribbean,

and once there, or any other place belonging to a EU member,

i can never again be subject to visa extortion, i can plan long term economy etc,

like buying a condo, and most of all, no more fcn visa runs or extortion

My visa agent costs me 12,000 baht a year, that's retirement visa extension. multiple re-entry permit, and 90 day reports. Would cost me about 6000 baht if I could be bothered to do it all myself. Have never been extorted by any police in Thailand. It sounds to me like your circumstances are different.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

I was driving in to Bangkok last week with two of my foreign staff and we were chatting away, as you do, about living in Thailand.

I would be very surprised if the staff's attention could be diverted away from their smart phones and the latest Line posting to pontificate on these earth shattering type of issues.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My visa agent costs me 12,000 baht a year, that's retirement visa extension. multiple re-entry permit, and 90 day reports. Would cost me about 6000 baht if I could be bothered to do it all myself. Have never been extorted by any police in Thailand. It sounds to me like your circumstances are different.

they were, i only just became 50, but my experience is

immigration office wont give me visa no matter when i qualify,

so i wont even try. i paid 25k +500 for every 90 day report for this first retirement

Vietnam is quite nice, 1 year VISA about $250, cost of living cheaper than Thailand.

Saigon Green beer around 20bht /450ml bottle in a bar, tastes similar to Tiger (also available at 30bht/33ml bottle).

This is Vung Tau beach (near Saigon) early one morning.

IMG_20180422_055827_PANO.jpg

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Vietnam is quite nice, 1 year VISA about $250, cost of living cheaper than Thailand.

Saigon Green beer around 20bht /450ml bottle in a bar, tastes similar to Tiger (also available at 30bht/33ml bottle).

i presume an immigration officer can simply refuse to give visa

cause they dont feel like it there too ?

imo everything becomes worthless when i dont even know if i can live there next month, long term planning goes out the window

4 minutes ago, poanoi said:

i presume an immigration officer can simply refuse to give visa

cause they dont feel like it there too ?

imo everything becomes worthless when i dont even know if i can live there next month, long term planning goes out the window

You can buy a 5 year VISA if you want, although most of the expats I spoke to were living on 2 year VISAs, they never mentioned immigration, they all used VISA agents. 

I liked it more than Thailand, lots of the locals spoke English  at a level way beyond the English speaking Thais.

I could easily live in Saigon, or Vang Tau. Good bar scene in both places, very cheap beer.

Very hot in the day, the beach was packed with locals at dawn, all gone by 9am.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

You can buy a 5 year VISA if you want, although most of the expats I spoke to were living on 2 year VISAs, they never mentioned immigration, they all used VISA agents. 

I liked it more than Thailand, lots of the locals spoke English  at a level way beyond the English speaking Thais.

I could easily live in Saigon, or Vang Tau. Good bar scene in both places, very cheap beer.

Very hot in the day, the beach was packed with locals at dawn, all gone by 9am.

ah ok, its about 8k baht per year so no reason to grudge,

specially since i can sign up for 5 years via without harassment.

one thing i did come to think of as i was looking at EU is:

do they (vietnam) got go-go bars ?

i got zero interest in beer bars or any other shit like karaoke, i want a go go

8 minutes ago, poanoi said:

do they (vietnam) got go-go bars ?

i got zero interest in beer bars or any other shit like karaoke, i want a go go

Don't know, I got approached while sitting in the park, eating in my local restaurant, etc.

Didn't need to look for any go-go. Way more women hunting white men than I've encountered in Thailand.

'5 year VISA exemption' is for foreigner married to Viet citizen, $40 for 5 years, multiple 90 day, but you can pay $10 if you don't want to leave. Way cheaper than my Thai married VISA ($150 for 1 year multi 90 day)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

40 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

This is Vung Tau beach (near Saigon) early one morning.

IMG_20180422_055827_PANO.jpg

Vung Tau is definitely NOT one of the better beaches in Vietnam....it may be amongst the worst!

Edited by torrzent

13 hours ago, poanoi said:

but the reason i want to leave thailand is solely down to visa hassle & extortion,

it has to belong to EU or i got zero interest to be there, going through yet more

visa hassle & probably extortion too

Right, but there are many places that are part of the EU besides the French and Dutch Carribeans.

I know these islands very well, having visited them multiple times.

It's France at twice the price, with a better climate, but also nasty and frequent hurricanes (see last year).

If you like islands, you may consided the Spanish Canaries, or a number of islands in the Mediterannee.

Otherwise there is also Portugal, as discussed in other posts, or countries around the Adriatic see...

1 hour ago, torrzent said:

Vung Tau is definitely NOT one of the better beaches in Vietnam....it may be amongst the worst!

The hotel I stayed at said the past 2 years had been an intensive clean up campaign, previously dirty, now clean.

I would go to the (back) beach at 5:30am, and there were people cleaning the beach, the sand and water quality was great.

Beach covered in sea shells, and pretty Viet girls, I thought it was great.

If you want to be surrounded by elderly white folk, it's probably not for you.

IMG_20180421_071332_1.jpg

IMG_20180422_061504.jpg

Edited by MaeJoMTB

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Exactly, I just paid 9600 baht for my RV extension, dropped off the photos, passport and bank letter then GF picked it up the next day. Total time spent 30 minutes which includes 20 minutes of driving time. Don't understand people stating how difficult and costly it is here. Try other places, Brazil is a total nightmare, Costa Rica not much better and getting worse and the police extortion is a daily ritual. LOS is by far the easiest I have dealt with and the IO's the most professional. In addition most countries require the use of a lawyer.

31 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Right, but there are many places that are part of the EU besides the French and Dutch Carribeans.

I know these islands very well, having visited them multiple times.

It's France at twice the price, with a better climate, but also nasty and frequent hurricanes (see last year).

If you like islands, you may consided the Spanish Canaries, or a number of islands in the Mediterannee.

Otherwise there is also Portugal, as discussed in other posts, or countries around the Adriatic see...

Murder rates in those islands around 30/100K, Thailand 3/100K

3 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

The hotel I stayed at said the past 2 years had been an intensive clean up campaign, previously dirty, now clean.

I would go to the (back) beach at 5:30am, and there were people cleaning the beach, the sand and water quality was great.

Beach covered in sea shells, and pretty Viet girls, I thought it was great.

If you want to be surrounded by elderly white folk, it's probably not for you.

IMG_20180421_071332_1.jpg

IMG_20180422_061504.jpg

Not sure what this has to do with elderly white folk, unless your meds or alzheimers are causing confusional issues for you.  The point made is Vung Tau is a crap beach.  There are tons of way better beaches there, incl. Mui Ne, China Beach, Nha Trang and Lang Co to name but a few.

• Sad 1

For EU nationals Spain is quite attractive IMO.  Barcelona is very expensive now but there are secondary cities I could see myself.  For instance Valencia, Bilboa or Malaga.  The Canary Island would be too insular for me.  

In Asia, I've done Singapore and found it a bit boring but after seeing the impunity and political impasse of Thailand I have a newfound appreciation for the place.  In Asia, Tokyo and Seoul are great places for working-age expats like myself.  I teach at a university here and once in a while I get exchange students asking if and how to get a job here, but I point them elsewhere always.  Thailand is a terrible place for a 22-year old to start his career.  I'm moving to Tokyo myself, but if it wasn't for that, I'd be looking at Europe.  

Turkey was also attractive (climate, mix of exotic with modern amenities, close to home, interesting vantage point for travel) until recently but now with Erdogan that place is no longer on my list.

Edited by ChidlomDweller
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChidlomDweller said:

For EU nationals Spain is quite attractive IMO.  Barcelona is very expensive now but there are secondary cities I could see myself.  For instance Valencia, Bilboa or Malaga.  The Canary Island would be too insular for me.  

In Asia, I've done Singapore and found it a bit boring but after seeing the impunity and political impasse of Thailand I have a newfound appreciation for the place.  In Asia, Tokyo and Seoul are great places for working-age expats like myself.  I teach at a university here and once in a while I get exchange students asking if and how to get a job here, but I point them elsewhere always.  Thailand is a terrible place for a 22-year old to start his career.  I'm moving to Tokyo myself, but if it wasn't for that, I'd be looking at Europe.  

Turkey was also attractive (climate, mix of exotic with modern amenities, close to home, interesting vantage point for travel) until recently but now with Erdogan that place is no longer on my list.

I had no idea it was so easy traveling around the world while teaching.

If I could redo my life, I would train to be a teacher...

27 minutes ago, ChidlomDweller said:

You Tube  Kev in Thailand..but now in Spain is a good look-see     No tourists there either

19 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Armpit of Asia full of 50 year old junkie expats. Great place to shoot up smack , you will never see a cop anywhere, totally lawless !!!

Ahhh, freedom at last!

20 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

When I was in PP I couldn't wait to get out.  I've never been anywhere where the people so openly ask for money all the time. Even the tuk tuk driver from the airport spent the entire journey repeatedly telling me "you go to nice hotel, big tip for me"

Maybe I was unlucky, or maybe it has changed.

Had a man close his shop and, unasked, take me on his motorbike to buy a food item he didn't carry, then drop me back at my hotel, no charge. Facing gridlock, a tuk tuk driver took us over curbs and down sidewalks to make a New Year's Eve party. He deserved a tip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

I had no idea it was so easy traveling around the world while teaching.

If I could redo my life, I would train to be a teacher...

With a PhD in a discipline that's in demand (typically those where universities compete with the private sector -- medicine, computers, business, law, etc...), and a half-decent publication record, the world is your oyster.

Edited by ChidlomDweller

40 minutes ago, ChidlomDweller said:

With a PhD in a discipline that's in demand (typically those where universities compete with the private sector -- medicine, computers, business, law, etc...), and a half-decent publication record, the world is your oyster.

I just have to find a way to be 18 again...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Which islands exactly?

Anguilla (UK) 27.66 4 Americas Caribbean 2014  
23px-Flag_of_Antigua_and_Barbuda.svg.png Antigua and Barbuda 11.23 10 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_Aruba.svg.png Aruba (Netherlands) 3.94 4 Americas Caribbean 2010  
23px-Flag_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas 29.81 111 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_Barbados.svg.png Barbados 10.91 31 Americas Caribbean 2015  
23px-Flag_of_the_British_Virgin_Islands. British Virgin Islands (UK) 8.37 2 Americas Caribbean 2006  
23px-Flag_of_the_Cayman_Islands.svg.png Cayman Islands (UK) 14.74 8 Americas Caribbean 2009  
23px-Flag_of_Cuba.svg.png Cuba 4.19 477 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_Dominica.svg.png Dominica 8.40 6 Americas Caribbean 2011  
23px-Flag_of_the_Dominican_Republic.svg. Dominican Republic 17.39 1,810 Americas Caribbean 2014  
23px-Flag_of_Grenada.svg.png Grenada 7.52 8 Americas Caribbean 2014  
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png Guadeloupe (France) 7.90 36 Americas Caribbean 2009  
23px-Flag_of_Haiti.svg.png Haiti 10.04 1,033 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_Jamaica.svg.png Jamaica 43.21 1,207 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png Martinique (France) 2.78 11 Americas Caribbean 2009  
23px-Flag_of_Montserrat.svg.png Montserrat (UK) 20.39 1 Americas Caribbean 2008  
23px-Flag_of_Puerto_Rico.svg.png Puerto Rico (US) 15.86 584 Americas Caribbean 2015  
23px-Flag_of_Saint_Kitts_and_Nevis.svg.p Saint Kitts and Nevis 33.55 18 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_Saint_Lucia.svg.png Saint Lucia 21.56 39 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_Saint_Vincent_and_the_Grena Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 25.61 28 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_Trinidad_and_Tobago.svg.png Trinidad and Tobago 30.88 420 Americas Caribbean 2015  
23px-Flag_of_the_Turks_and_Caicos_Island Turks and Caicos Islands (UK) 6.61 2 Americas Caribbean 2009  
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States_Virgin_Is United States Virgin Islands (US) 52.64 56 Americas Caribbean

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2561 at 5:02 PM, strikingsunset said:

i suggested taipei earlier - i don’t think there’s much difference in living costs overall these days- last year i was at a “Hash” in Taipei - all the girls: women looking for partners were called into the circle - 6 walked in !
Another issue in Taipei is the average salary is quite low - so it is possible to live a “ local style “ life affordable - i love the place - totally safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You are right, out side of rant and taxies the cost of living here has gone way up .There are many things at the grocery store and entertainment venues that cost more here then in America. Taipei and other places in Taiwan are very nice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:
Anguilla (UK) 27.66 4 Americas Caribbean 2014  
23px-Flag_of_Antigua_and_Barbuda.svg.png Antigua and Barbuda 11.23 10 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_Aruba.svg.png Aruba (Netherlands) 3.94 4 Americas Caribbean 2010  
23px-Flag_of_the_Bahamas.svg.png Bahamas 29.81 111 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_Barbados.svg.png Barbados 10.91 31 Americas Caribbean 2015  
23px-Flag_of_the_British_Virgin_Islands. British Virgin Islands (UK) 8.37 2 Americas Caribbean 2006  
23px-Flag_of_the_Cayman_Islands.svg.png Cayman Islands (UK) 14.74 8 Americas Caribbean 2009  
23px-Flag_of_Cuba.svg.png Cuba 4.19 477 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_Dominica.svg.png Dominica 8.40 6 Americas Caribbean 2011  
23px-Flag_of_the_Dominican_Republic.svg. Dominican Republic 17.39 1,810 Americas Caribbean 2014  
23px-Flag_of_Grenada.svg.png Grenada 7.52 8 Americas Caribbean 2014  
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png Guadeloupe (France) 7.90 36 Americas Caribbean 2009  
23px-Flag_of_Haiti.svg.png Haiti 10.04 1,033 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_Jamaica.svg.png Jamaica 43.21 1,207 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png Martinique (France) 2.78 11 Americas Caribbean 2009  
23px-Flag_of_Montserrat.svg.png Montserrat (UK) 20.39 1 Americas Caribbean 2008  
23px-Flag_of_Puerto_Rico.svg.png Puerto Rico (US) 15.86 584 Americas Caribbean 2015  
23px-Flag_of_Saint_Kitts_and_Nevis.svg.p Saint Kitts and Nevis 33.55 18 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_Saint_Lucia.svg.png Saint Lucia 21.56 39 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_Saint_Vincent_and_the_Grena Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 25.61 28 Americas Caribbean 2012  
23px-Flag_of_Trinidad_and_Tobago.svg.png Trinidad and Tobago 30.88 420 Americas Caribbean 2015  
23px-Flag_of_the_Turks_and_Caicos_Island Turks and Caicos Islands (UK) 6.61 2 Americas Caribbean 2009  
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States_Virgin_Is United States Virgin Islands (US) 52.64 56 Americas Caribbean

These are the Carribean islands...which I don't recommend anyway...

My suggestion was: better look at islands in the Mediteranean see, or the Canary islands west of Africa.

The Carribean are good only for very wealthy persons who can buy a house in the Bahamas or the Grenadines...and who are ready to lose all with one hurricane...just look at Richard Branson and his private island...devastated!

12 hours ago, poanoi said:

they were, i only just became 50, but my experience is

immigration office wont give me visa no matter when i qualify,

so i wont even try. i paid 25k +500 for every 90 day report for this first retirement

The figure of 25K sounds about right for the retirement visa, because it includes the cost of conversion from the O-A visa. Extensions will be about 12,000 baht through an agent.

Your post is confusing - you say you've paid 25K +500 for the 90 day reports, and also say the immigration office won't give you a retirement visa. What visa do you currently have?

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The figure of 25K sounds about right for the retirement visa, because it includes the cost of conversion from the O-A visa. Extensions will be about 12,000 baht through an agent.

Your post is confusing - you say you've paid 25K +500 for the 90 day reports, and also say the immigration office won't give you a retirement visa. What visa do you currently have?

i tried marry visa many years ago, the IO wouldnt extend it,

i just turned 50 and had a visa agency get me a retirement extension,

and given my experience, the IO will not extend if i go myself.

i also got too much pain to risk a trip to bkk or laos

Edited by poanoi

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

12k is cheap. The going rate is 25k. Do they put 8000k in bank for you?

On 5/2/2018 at 5:48 PM, 3421abc said:

Today I could not think of a place that would be an alternative to Thailand. However in 5 to 10 yrs I see Vietnam and even Cambodia as they are catching up fast.

But its down to P4P PY and the fun you can have. You get it nowhere else. Combined with laid back life style ,chance to live ruch or poor,low life or high life...I cant see an alternative. The caribean eithet violent or for millionaire. South America maybe. The Balkans great but no P4P and cold weather. Europe...finished and cold in winter...Africa..Nope...And all of the above depend on your age, budget and adaptability.