Left before contract ended, school threatening to "blacklist"

I worked in admin for a number of schools, which involved the hiring of foreign teachers.   There is no blacklist that I am aware of and I think I would have known about it, if it existed.  

The problem, and one of the reasons why it never came about, is that so many of the people who are terminated or leave, do so because of very subjective reasons.   Even in calling sister schools who had terminated a teacher, it was often little more than a matter of 'I don't like him.'    I found that about 40% of those who didn't work out at one school, did work out at another.  

There are people who are very, very rightfully terminated, but more often than not, it is just a poor fit.  

It's always a bad policy for schools to put themselves in a situation where the teacher would owe them money.   Teachers are generally not well paid enough to allow them to pay back money to a school.  

People who don’t follow through with contracts and return money paid that they did not earn deserve to be blacklisted. Hope your  friend is comfortable standing in immigration line at Swampy wondering if the immigration officer knows what kind of person she/he is. Tell her to pay the money back ASAP. If not hope they prevent her/him from coming back into Thailand. 

If she was in the middle of a 2 year contract that was for 2 x 12 month terms and included "summer pay" for the break, she would be well within her rights to NOT return and to NOT return the money, provided she gave the required notice negotiated in her contract. 

If she was at the end of the same type of contract, said she was returning and then gave her proper notice, she would still not be obligated to return any money.

We don't know what the details are. Perhaps OP would share that info for her friend.

Archived