Left before contract ended, school threatening to "blacklist"

What's up. I have a friend who has left her teaching job in Thailand and now the school has contacted her through a third party. They said they're going to Blacklist her if she doesn't give back the money that she received for summer pay (March/April)..

Is blacklisting possible?

If, or if not, what other repercussions are possible?

8 hours ago, johng said:

Did she do the work for "summer pay" ? If she did then call their bluff if not give it back.

She didn't work for at least one month of it, but that pay is in the contract for April (summer pay) She didn't finish the contract.

I appreciate the advice, but looking for what the most likely possibilities might be in terms of repercussions for not following their request.

Well it would seem to me she didn't do the work so should return the money.

Also by "blacklist" do they mean from other school work (which they probably could) or blacklisted from entering the country which is also possible but much more difficult and less likely.

Blacklisted from what?

Teaching at that school again?

Ignore it.

Like there is some national register of foreign tachers in Thailand nobody knows about.

Curious how a second hand report of this threat became your concern. Got nothing better to worry about?

Bottom line, to be honorable, she should give back the money if she didn't complete the contract.

For MUCH further in-depth knowledge, tell her to search Facebook for the group "Teaching Jobs in Thailand." Many folks there willing to share their info.

She would be wise to give the money back for the work not done. As for "blacklisting" the school does not have any power as far as immigration status goes, however, doing the right thing is another story and them reporting it as "theft" is something else that should be considered. Just give the one month salary back and be done with it. 

If she has taken money on the promise of performing work that she later did not perform, it would be very wise to return it.  Situations like this can get complicated in Thailand and complications in Thailand are best avoided.

Blacklisting is bluster.  However, if she broke the contract it's her responsibility to repay the wages for the time she did not work. If she doesn't, than 'blacklisting' is going to be her least problem.  Her more immediate problem will become being hauled in front of a Thai civil court.  Tell her to repay the wages for the time she did not work.

you need to define what you mean by 'blacklist'; is it from that school, city, province, nationally? and does such a blacklist procedure/process actually exist?

on the other hand if she has been paid for work she did not do and refuses to return the money any prospective employer would be be well advised to be aware of this aspect of your friend's character.

On what basis is 'your friend' not returning the money already paid to her?

Does she have any valid reason? Is she just stubborn? Is it just her character to want to 'get it over' an employer?

The school has outsourced the collection to a third party on a commission basis, tell her to be prepared for more threats as the collection agency specializ in intimidation. As for blacklist ,only immigration can do this. To get the money back they would have to go to court to prove there case that she did not complete her contract. 

2 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

Blacklisted from what?

Ignore it.

Like there is some national register of foreign tachers in Thailand nobody knows about.

Curious how a second hand report of this threat became your concern. Got nothing better to worry about?

The O/P is saying its a Friend but really its Her.

I believe what they meant is backlist you/her on job search & recruitment agency database, which I know for a fact that does exist. They generally blacklist anyone who caused troubles to their employers. Once you are on the blacklist, you'll have much difficulties finding jobs that require hiring process through such agencies. So forget about getting a teaching job at reputable schools. 

The director of a bigger primary school was trying to blacklist an Aussie who left shortly after me.

He's trying to make it impossible for him to find employment nationwide, but that was only possible in his sick mind. 

The woman should pay back for the time where she didn't work, I'm sure that she's being asked if she'd continue and she must have said yes.

Anyway, if she doesn't do it, it only shows her non- existing character and she's doing a lot of damage to new teachers who'll start at that school. 

There's no reason that she deserves the two months pay when she took off. 

6 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

Blacklisted from what?

Ignore it.

Because sometimes on here the ' friend ' is actually they themselves? Maybe? Possibility?.......

I think that this could be a possibility!...

2 hours ago, Loaded said:

Could be issues leaving the country or obtaining another extension or work permit if the school don't cancel the current work permit and non immigrant B extension.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I remember when an Indian woman was sent back to Sisaket to pay her taxes when she wanted to fly back at DM.

A Filipina, who thought she'd be smarter than anybody else wasn't listening to the local Immigration to drive to her former school, get her work permit and visa cancelled and was stopped at Mukdahan Immigration where she had to pay a 20 k overstay fine.

And she still had to go to her former school to get a letter when her last day was and to cancel the work permit. 

2 hours ago, sitti said:

I believe what they meant is backlist you/her on job search & recruitment agency database, which I know for a fact that does exist. They generally blacklist anyone who caused troubles to their employers. Once you are on the blacklist, you'll have much difficulties finding jobs that require hiring process through such agencies. So forget about getting a teaching job at reputable schools. 

It's not about an agency now. It's about school administrators who want to show how powerful they are. Even if they aren't. 

It is not clear from the original post but what if she had a contract for 12 months (May to April).  She worked the regular school calendar and received pay for her 2 summer months (March,April). 

If she has decided to not return, should she pay back the salaries?  

re whether it's morally 'right': those who denounce her, well if we were to put a scale to things...school vs her tit-for-tat and all... I'll leave the rest unsaid. Judge not...

re blacklisting: as far as I understand it, it seems they were/are threatening to blacklist her from entering Thailand, but something could easily have been lost in translation.

Thanks for the excellent (and not so excellent) replies. A lot of detectives and drunks as usual, but much appreciated those who gave straight answers (and straight questions) to my straight-as-possible-while-remaining-as-brief-as-possible OP.

So the school is so pissed off she's not coming back, that they want her to return the holiday pay she earned teaching the previously months? and threatening to blacklist her...from the country 555. Laughable.

Ignore it and don't pay back, sounds like a shambles of the school that has f-all power in carrying out any of the threats, especially as it sounds like the director has been so actively involved.

12 hours ago, sitti said:

I taught briefly many years ago in Thailand and I also heard about a blacklist.  The thing is, there is NOT co-operation between the many THOUSANDS of institutes that hire foreign teachers from universities to international schools to language institutes to Thai schools of every level, in every province and far-flung corner of the country.  Your name could be #1 on the blacklist but the FBI most wanted list it is not.  Threats of your name being put on such a list and being blacklisted are basically idle threats.

Some years ago there was talk about some sort of 'blacklist' being made to try and stop teachers who got on the wrong side of of admins being able to work again.  It was being pushed/ promoted by a particular group of schools whose name begins and ends with the letter S and has a couple of 'a's and 'r's in the middle which treated their employees like absolute crap (and still does) and got upset when said employees voted with their feet.  It was utter nonsense that came to nothing.  Having said that, anyone who takes money for work they haven't done and runs away deserves whatever they get, not least fraud or theft charges I would hope.

Archived