Any Thai city with a central park like Lumpini Park?

sidjameson

I like living in the centre of a city very close to a large park. Lumpini is fabulous. But my 15k budget won't get me near it. 

So I'm wondering if any other city has a large park in its centre with apartments a walkable distance.

Khon Kaen has a large park not far from the centre of town with a lake in the middle.  Roi Et has a lovely park right in the middle of town, also with a lake.  In fact many Thai provincial towns have something similar.  If you are set on Bangkok, maybe look for rented accommodation near "Raw 9" Park....it's huge and rental accommodation out there can't be expensive.

• Like 2

If you want to stay in Bangkok, you could look at renting near Suan Rot Fai near JJ Market. There is also Rama 9 park over near Srinakarindra Road. Both of these parks are of a similar size to Lumpini.

When you say a budget of 15,000, is that in total per month or just for accommodation? As said Udon has a reasonable central park, and 2 others a walkable distance within the ring road (I like Nong bua more, much quieter). And a significant expat population, so can get nearly anything you routinely want. 

If your total budget was 15,000 a month, you will find condo's anywhere expensive. Can get a room in Udon from about 2000 - 4000 baht a month with air conditioning. The condo's are new so not cheap. 

• Like 1

Chiang Mai has a park and a lake inside. Not the largest park in Thailand, but peaceful and quiet. You'd need a songthaew, tuk tuk, or bus to go to and fro from your city condo (there are many)  - takes about 10 minutes. Condo costs are around 8k upwards for good accommodation.

But beware, air quality in March/April can be bad.

Nakhon Sawan has a huge park and lake right in  the middle of the city .

Outdoor sports and fitness facilities also which many people use.

Probablythe only nice thing about the city though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Nakhon Sawan has a huge park and lake right in  the middle of the city .

Outdoor sports and fitness facilities also which many people use.

Probablythe only nice thing about the city though.

A statement like this. is for me the proof ,that  you don't know Khon Wan so well.

Wow, thanks for all the ideas.

I mean 15k for accommodation. 50k budget overall. 

Jogging is what keeps me sane in a Thai city. 

All I really need in life is a nice condo with a nearby park, lovely coffee shop, and a couple of expat friends. I will explore ☺

On 03/05/2018 at 3:55 PM, kokesaat said:

Udon has a large park, well within walking distance of at least one newish condo unit and a bevy of apartments.  Nongprajak......maybe not on the same par as Lumpini, but it's not bad.  You can check it out on google earth.

has a big duck to photograph too !!

Bung Ta Lua Water Park in Nakhon Ratchasima (aka Korat) is really nice and many people go jogging and walking there, mainly in the mornings and late afternoon. 

There are also quite a few expats living in or near the city too, so you make friends aswell.

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1

15,000 will easily get you an apartment near Lumpini.  Might even get an older condo.  Try less high-end places.

I'm confused you seem to be sacrificing living in Bangkok just to stay near a park.  Is a park really that important to you?  You realise most of the provincial cities have nothing to do at all?

Most cities in Isaan and the rest of Thailand have a central park with a lake and running track.

• Like 1

That area around Lumpini isn't really bustling, it's more of a business district type of area.  For real Thai community places with lots of streetfood and markets you want somewhere cheaper that the Thais can afford en masse, like Phra Khanong/Onnut or Udom Suk (both not too far from Rama 9 park but traffic around that park/area is really bad and there's no BTS/MRT so you have to rely on songtaews/buses/taxis).  Places like Huai Khwang and Lat Phrao areas are real Thai places but don't fit your needs of a park nearby.

The other 2 parks in central Bangkok are Benjasiri (Phrom Phong) and Benjakiti (Asoke) but neither are on or near 'bustling' roads.  I always found that park at Mochit that others have mentioned to be a bit of a rundown area, and kind of far from the middle of Bangkok if we talk about the middle as Siam/Sukhumvit/Silom.  But it is bustling I guess.

You could try apartments on or near Silom Road, that road has lots of streetfood and decent nightlife and it's next to Lumpini.  Not many condos on that road I don't think, mostly shophouses and offices and a few guesthouses.

I don't know how familiar you are with Bangkok but you might be underestimating how convenient the BTS and MRT lines are.  They can get you to a park within 5-10 minutes even if you stay a few stations away, so you can stay in a bustling area and commute to the park cheaply.  I stay at Onnut and go to Benjasiri park regularly, takes 10-15 minutes or so on the BTS including waiting time for 30 baht and if outside of peak hours when the traffic is quieter I get the bus for a few baht.  If you wanted Lumpini that has both MRT and BTS connections so you could pick pretty much any station within 3-4 stops of the park.  It opens up a much bigger area to search in.

• Like 1

On 03/05/2018 at 9:55 AM, kokesaat said:

Udon has a large park, well within walking distance of at least one newish condo unit and a bevy of apartments.  Nongprajak......maybe not on the same par as Lumpini, but it's not bad.  You can check it out on google earth.

Nong Prajak is brilliant, and the little studios right in the South West corner were only 4,500 a month when I asked in 2016, and you had a balcony and a view. There are brand new condos for about the same money, without the view, just 100 yards back from the park on the eastern side. The only ballache is that the bikes get the better path around the park - next to the water. Nong Bua is even prettier and it's right next to the centre, although not as big.

12 hours ago, rickudon said:

When you say a budget of 15,000, is that in total per month or just for accommodation? As said Udon has a reasonable central park, and 2 others a walkable distance within the ring road (I like Nong bua more, much quieter). And a significant expat population, so can get nearly anything you routinely want. 

If your total budget was 15,000 a month, you will find condo's anywhere expensive. Can get a room in Udon from about 2000 - 4000 baht a month with air conditioning. The condo's are new so not cheap. 

If the park was a really big issue, and you can manage the stairs, there are nice cheap condos immediately South of the Phosri road at the pedestrian bridge that takes you across to Nong Bua park. For about 4,000 baht you're away from the main road, and you can cross it on the footbridge. If you're the UD town side of the railway track it's a wee bit more time to get into Nong Bua, although (IMHO) the other facilities in the centre make it worthwhile. I don't think it's that safe to cut through the Thai neighbourhood north of the railway station and then walk down the road. A bit too much traffic. Nong Bua park is really mellow. They put a lot of work into keeping it nice. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

That Pattaya park is nice actually, it surprised me.  But then the only drawback is you have to live in Pattaya.

Then allow your ignorance to determine your life...Have you been here and if so where?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Craig krup said:

Nong Khai park's mental. It's nice once you're there, but - on foot - it's a sod to get to. 

Took a bike from my hotel and rode the trail along the river. Only crossed one road. Was there in 10 minutes. 

23 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I always found that park at Mochit that others have mentioned to be a bit of a rundown area, and kind of far from the middle of Bangkok if we talk about the middle as Siam/Sukhumvit/Silom.  But it is bustling I guess.

It's a nice park. I don't know what the deal is with the open air weights. Some of the guys obviously take it fairly seriously.