Classifiers for Takeaway (Food)

tkyl

Hi! I was wondering what classifiers do I use for the following:

Drinks for takeaway (e.g. streetfood cart selling Thai Ice Tea)

(General) Food for takeout/takeaway (in packets/boxes) (e.g. Pad Thai, Papaya Salad) 

Do I still use the original Classifiers like one CUP(TUAY) of tea and one PLATE (JAAN) of food for takeout/takeaway as well? Or do I use one bag of.... (neung Tong)

Thank you very much!

since they are plastic cups for iced tea: แก้ว

ex. ชาเย็น1แก้วครับ/ค่ะ

for takeaway pretty sure this is correct, if not correct it is understandable:

เอากล้บบ้านครับ/ค่ะ

many vendors will know English to say “here, or takeaway”

You dont really need to use จาน for the som tum unless you want to order more than one, จาน used as a classifer for the “dish” or “prepared meal portion” so if you wanted 2 portions, จาน is what I would use.

The sticky rice is counted by ถุง, since it is bagged if takeaway, or even if eaten there. soup and curries are usually bagged, so would also use ถุง for portion quantity.

Best yet, stay away from all that plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 04/05/2018 at 7:56 AM, tkyl said:

Thank you!

Can I use check which "kong" are you referring to? You could type in Thai characters as well! 

I think he meant กล่อง. In colloquial speech the L is often not sounded in Thai.

• Like 1

When I saw this I realised that apart from being told one evening that things on sticks are called ไม้ for the rest I just guess. Call it what it is, in a box it’s กล่อง, in a plastic bag; ถุง, the best way to find out is to ask the seller. I think that ขนมครก is คู่ because they are served one upside down on the other. If you buy ขนมจีน it comes by ชุด set, จับ then you specify what you want with it I would use ชุด for all of the standard dishes like ข้าวมันไก่ ผัดไทย, I could be wrong but that is the best way to find out. 

Does anyone know how to get rid of ‘bold type’ ?  I managed to kill the italics! 

I prefer my wife's jasmine rice to that in most restaurants.  When I order dishes to go, I usually order เป็นกับ, หมูผัดขิงเป็นกับ, for example.  I generally pay 100 baht for a bag like that, but it easily provides two good meals for me at home.

I'm not sure what เป็นกับ means.........??go with??, but the restaurant staff always understands when I say it.

Hadn't heard of it before. My dictionary gives one of the translations for กับ as food eaten with rice, food to go with rice.

So I guess tacking it on the end of a dish's name means you actually want it without the rice - in your case you had your own at home..

เป็นกับ  I'm clueless to this phrase, never heard it or read it before...

กับข้าว I just realized this is something I have heard before, but it is pronounced differently in the south, it usually refers to a dish of food.

when I hear it here, it sounds like ข khor khai with falling tone.. -- kapkhao

I do know ก is neither a G or K, but for me it is way closer than a G than a K.

I think of เป็นกับ as standard Thai where เป็น says ‘is’ so having decided what กับข้าว means, (as an accompaniment to rice) as katana says, you don’t want rice.  ขอหมูผัดขิงเป็นกับ as compared with ขอข้าวหมูผัดขิง 

The complete meal looks like a ชุด to me but if ordering without rice I would still call it a ชุด. 

at ร้านอาหารตามสั่ง you can choose between เป็นกับ or ราดข้าว where they put the dish on top of the rice for you, for takeaways they normally separate the rice anyway.

ใส่ถุง or ใส่กล่อง will be understood

หนึ่ง ชุด for set is only appropriate for complicated dish where there's vegetable and soups on the side, using ชุด with something simple like ข้าวผัด which although might come with small sides of 3 slices of cucumber, sachets of chili/sugar/vingar and fish sauce, you could considered it a 'set' but saying ชุด is pedantic and confusing to the sellers who would not be used to hearing ชุด applied this way

• Like 1

so เป็นกับ is a thing, so simple but never learned. Still very curious about that, is it regional or new? are there any old dictionaries which have this? I’ll check mine in the morning.

ชุด for takeaway food, can only think of ขนมจีน, this is ordered as a set, but some customization required I think.

กับข้าว is normally the meat/veg dish you have with rice

but one exception is รถกับข้าว which is a 'food truck' but only carries raw ingredients that roam around village saying กับข้าว กับข้าว repeated over their loudspeaker 

20 hours ago, digbeth said:

at ร้านอาหารตามสั่ง you can choose between เป็นกับ or ราดข้าว where they put the dish on top of the rice for you, for takeaways they normally separate the rice anyway.

ใส่ถุง or ใส่กล่อง will be understood

หนึ่ง ชุด for set is only appropriate for complicated dish where there's vegetable and soups on the side, using ชุด with something simple like ข้าวผัด which although might come with small sides of 3 slices of cucumber, sachets of chili/sugar/vingar and fish sauce, you could considered it a 'set' but saying ชุด is pedantic and confusing to the sellers who would not be used to hearing ชุด applied this way

Are you afraid of sounding pedantic digbeth? If the seller thought one pedantic then they wouldn’t be confused would they? My feeling is that we are too ‘nice’ with our language, sellers are listening to the number and probably could care less what classifier is used. 

also although the dictionary will show that กับข้าว - “with rice” กับ by itself has no meaning towards the opposite “no rice”

so I’m just wondering do any dictionaries now give alternate translations of “กับ” in association with plates/food/etc

or is this just street slang, and when did it start :)

sorry, almost forgot.. if you don’t know the classifier you can ask for a reveal from the seller:
ขายยังไงครับ/ค่ะ - How do you sell it?
so seller will answer with the classifier-
3มัด20บาท
5ชิน10บาท
1ชุด100บาท
ถุงละ35บาท
If the food is a plated food likely the seller has a sign listing the prices, so then จาน wouldn’t be required unless you needed more than 1, e.g.
—เอาอะไรค่ะ
—ผัดไทยไก่ครับ ||| ผัดไทยไก่2จาน ผัดไทยไข่1จานครับ

In the north they still sell banana leaf wrapped pad Thai? if so likely counted by ห่อ, since wrapped in leaves.

6 minutes ago, surfdog said:

sorry, almost forgot.. if you don’t know the classifier you can ask for a reveal from the seller:
ขายยังไงครับ/ค่ะ - How do you sell it?
so seller will answer with the classifier-
3มัด20บาท
5ชิน10บาท
1ชุด100บาท
ถุงละ35บาท
If the food is a plated food likely the seller has a sign listing the prices, so then จาน wouldn’t be required unless you needed more than 1, e.g.
—เอาอะไรค่ะ
—ผัดไทยไก่ครับ ||| ผัดไทยไก่2จาน ผัดไทยไข่1จานครับ

In the north they still sell banana leaf wrapped pad Thai? if so likely counted by ห่อ, since wrapped in leaves.

We get the same (ห่อ) at our local market down south for paper wrapped stuff.  Always gives me a little smile.

I’m down south, a lot of street food is ห่อ
fried rice, khao man gai, yellow rocc amd chicken? forget the name. Wrapped in wax paper not leaves.

The southern fish cake still in leaves.
Many sweet rice desserts our wrapped in leaves, but still counted by มัด I believe because they are skewered.

2 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Are you afraid of sounding pedantic digbeth? If the seller thought one pedantic then they wouldn’t be confused would they? My feeling is that we are too ‘nice’ with our language, sellers are listening to the number and probably could care less what classifier is used. 

ordering (what you considered) a 'set' when the sellers don't usually expect it could cause confusion, like what does the farang buyer means by a ชุด

13 hours ago, digbeth said:

ordering (what you considered) a 'set' when the sellers don't usually expect it could cause confusion, like what does the farang buyer means by a ชุด

So the answer to my question is ‘No’ ! 

เป็นกับข้าว -as a side dish

On 5/17/2018 at 7:45 PM, surfdog said:

IMG_0837.JPGIMG_0839.JPG
still curious about เป็นกับ, not in my dictionary

you need ข้าว too  เป็นกับข้าว as a side dish according to google translate

56 minutes ago, bannork said:

เป็นกับข้าว -as a side dish

you need ข้าว too  เป็นกับข้าว as a side dish according to google translate

I was looking for more context, not calling out on anybody for being wrong, just looking to understand more about Thai, and how I missed learning these obviously easy phrases for so long.  The only way I can think of to use เป็นกับข้าว in a sentence, is something like นี่เป็นกับข้าว - 'this is a side dish'  I would not สั่งเป็นกับข้าว, I would only use สั่งกับข้าว Which makes the example from Kokesat on the first page even more confusing to me:

I prefer my wife's jasmine rice to that in most restaurants.  When I order dishes to go, I usually order เป็นกับ, หมูผัดขิงเป็นกับ, for example.  I generally pay 100 baht for a bag like that, but it easily provides two good meals for me at home.

I'm not sure what เป็นกับ means.........??go with??, but the restaurant staff always understands when I say it.

If anybody can find some usage of this online in writing, or definitions of เป็นกับ I'd like to see.

5 hours ago, surfdog said:

I was looking for more context, not calling out on anybody for being wrong, just looking to understand more about Thai, and how I missed learning these obviously easy phrases for so long.  The only way I can think of to use เป็นกับข้าว in a sentence, is something like นี่เป็นกับข้าว - 'this is a side dish'  I would not สั่งเป็นกับข้าว, I would only use สั่งกับข้าว Which makes the example from Kokesat on the first page even more confusing to me:

If anybody can find some usage of this online in writing, or definitions of เป็นกับ I'd like to see.

But you do know what it means, you use it and it works. 

I like to try to work out how words mean what they mean but it isn’t always possible. This one is easy if you treat it in the same way as English, the noun กับ as an adjective and the verb เป็น as the verb ‘To be’ .  เอาแต่กับข้าว is what it means. 

bannork my 2625 edition of the RID has the fourth definition of กับ, กับข้าว น. ของที่กินกับข้าว 

Edit:  Sorry, I haven’t looked for an example to give as a reference. 

Edited by tgeezer

no not me, never used it, I am very good at suspending comprehension and just using language to achieve results, but for เป็นกับ never heard it never used it. Thus my curiosity. Maybe I need to go test drive it and see what happens!

So the restaurant is selling ราดข้าว, and you only want the dish, so you order ผัดผักเป็นกับกล้บบ้าน ? is กล้บบ้าน even necessary since you are ordering เป็นกับ

Most restaurants always have rice as a seperate order, so this would only apply to street side/stall ตามส่ง vendors right?

I don’t eat out a lot, I think have a fear of street food since I saw that live leak video of sewer oil streetfood in China.

15 minutes ago, surfdog said:

So the restaurant is selling ราดข้าว, and you only want the dish, so you order ผัดผักเป็นกับกล้บบ้าน ? is กล้บบ้าน even necessary since you are ordering เป็นกับ

กลับบ้าน is still necessary since you could order เป็นกับ to be placed at the middle of the table on a separate plate, they would normally give bigger quantity and charge more than ราดข้าว too

• Thanks 1