What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

You will find it in a Bay frequented by Pirates..

Found It! smile.png

Not the "Breaking Bad" of sitcoms, but nice and harmless fun and a few rather good lines. Would not expect more from a 20-min-format.

I watched the first 2 episodes of Partners. Like stepping back ten years in TV comedy. Something I might watch on a long plane flight but not something I'll be seeking out.

I watched the first episode and didn't dare watch the second.

How bad was the laughter track?

One word for it IMO, dreadful.

• Like 1

Last night, Jess Franco's Dracula contra Frankenstein and Straub & Huillet's Chronik der Anna Magdalena Bach. I really enjoyed the music and period setup.

amb2kw3.png

Tonight I'll be in for a long one -- Hans-Jürgen Syberberg's Hitler ...

Hans-J%C3%BCrgen-Syberberg-Hitler.Ein-Fi

Edited by Fellini

I checked out the first episode of Power last night, right after savoring Ray Donovan s02e04. It has just enough going for it to check out a few more episodes. We just can't have too many depictions of gangsters living the GOOD life. The hero in this one even outdoes Ray Donovan's watch collection, in that his display rotates, so the watches flash the light beaming from a dedicated spotlight. And it's in his closet! Top THAT, Ray Ray! Early in the show, there's a lingering closeup of the watch on our man's arm, long enough so that we can read that it's a Patek Phillipe. Hope it's shockproof, for times when our man has to go Medieval on someone.

There's a rat in the crew! That's another staple in these types of show. Maybe it's the No. 2 guy, the white guy that looks like Eminem and talks more like a black guy than the boss, who is...bronze. But it could be anybody. There's a strong smell of betrayal coming from many directions. The lead guy is trying to quit the life of crime, so he can be a rich man of legit respect, another OLD device. ("I thought I was out, but they pulled me back in!")

I'll stay with it. Just treading water til the good stuff comes back...Person of Interest, The Blacklist, Boardwalk Empire, etc.

I'm currently watching Rogue, from Season 1 (never watched it when it aired). Enjoying it so far - another British actress playing a American.

Again, thanks for this wolf5370.

I'm a few episodes in and enjoying it.

I notice Mr Smith is on board as well.

It seems that it falls away a bit in series 2 though.

Apologies for being slightly off topic gang but I hope this

hasn't happened to any of youbiggrin.png

Heidi Anderson: Shameless behaviour embarrassing and ruining my love life

I HAVE a confession to make. Some of you may understand while some of you may not.

But downloaded TV series are ruining my relationship.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/opinion/heidi-anderson-shameless-behaviour-embarrassing-and-ruining-my-love-life/story-fnhocuug-1227014533229

• Like 1

Apologies for being slightly off topic gang but I hope this

hasn't happened to any of youbiggrin.png

Heidi Anderson: Shameless behaviour embarrassing and ruining my love life

I HAVE a confession to make. Some of you may understand while some of you may not.

But downloaded TV series are ruining my relationship.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/opinion/heidi-anderson-shameless-behaviour-embarrassing-and-ruining-my-love-life/story-fnhocuug-1227014533229

No, I just need the TV-shows as an excuse, so I do not have to "perform".

"You go to bed, Darling, I'll be right with you. Just finishing this episode...s."

:-)

• Like 1

I'm currently watching Rogue, from Season 1 (never watched it when it aired). Enjoying it so far - another British actress playing a American.

Again, thanks for this wolf5370.

I'm a few episodes in and enjoying it.

I notice Mr Smith is on board as well.

It seems that it falls away a bit in series 2 though.

Yes Khun Will27, season 1 is very good! Lots of naked Thandie Newton :D Second season not so much as a side boob... I've not given up on it just yet and hoping season 2 is a slow starter.

• Like 1

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy a couple of days ago, it's G rated so probably not suited to those who want lots of blood, guts, gore, nudity and gratuitous sex, plenty of laughs, plenty of action, my wife and I enjoyed watching it. 7.5/10.

I wasn't crazy about The Purge. It starts out fine, but quickly turns into a bunch of people that you don't care about running from room to room trying to kill each other. It is mildly entertaining, but IMO, don't bother.

Yes a good summation. A good concept but far too holey. This is a bad horror movie, that is not really a horror movie. I did find it amusing the scene of the woman skipping down the hall in her long dress, machete by her side laugh.png

The actor who played the child in the family also has to go down as one of the most annoying roles of recent times. http://www.maxburkholder.com/resume.php. Of course the script is such that you want to take a dislike to the character

The Purge Anarchy (Purge 2) is now out!

This one is FAR better than the first, unusual for a sequel. It goes for a relatively unknown cast but works well

7/10 from me

• Like 1

I'm going through the episodes of Power right now, laughing at inappropriate times. How would a guy like James "Ghost" escape the notice of both taxing and law enforcement authorities, with his thin cover of parlaying the proceeds of a parking lot and a couple of neighborhood laundromats into buying and running a high profile Manhattan nightclub? These enterprises always get a big look-over, ever since the Studio 54 days, and before that.

With any of these shows, a major suspension of disbelief is a requirement for viewer enjoyment. Even with such a legendary drama (and occasional high comedy) as "Breaking Bad", the big fly in the ointment is how to account for, or hide, that mountain of cash paper money? There have been several re-issues of re-designed US paper money. When these old bills start showing up, I'm sure the Treasury Dept. takes notice. I'm surprised they don't say that after a certain date, the old notes are void, and you must come to a bank to exchange them. Got ya! It must be very difficult to find a "bent bank", such as "Rayburn National" from the great series "The Bridge."

Anyway, I want to stay with this one just to see the whole dream turn to inevitable ashes, when the players still standing go to join 50 Cent inside the Graystone Manor. It's got a lot of slick style, I'll say that for it. 7-1/2 of 10. (B-)

...probably not suited to those who want lots of blood, guts, gore, nudity and gratuitous sex...

So not for me then...

I can't understand how people are entertained by TV series. I enjoyed Kieslowski's Dekalog, but no other show I have seen had a sense of continuity as a single coherent artistic vision. Also, the television industry is too heavily censored for anything interesting to happen.

Edited by Fellini

Also, the television industry is too heavily censored for anything interesting to happen.

Have you checked out modern series like the Sopranos and Breaking Bad? I don't know how much more uncensored they could get.

...or True Blood - all the above: Sex, violence, gore and blood - 7 season's worth.

Also, the television industry is too heavily censored for anything interesting to happen.

Have you checked out modern series like the Sopranos and Breaking Bad? I don't know how much more uncensored they could get.

...or True Blood - all the above: Sex, violence, gore and blood - 7 season's worth.

And then there's "Power."..all that's missing is closeup of penetration, and then the "money" shot. When they're not graphically humping, somebody's throat is getting cut, or getting beaten to death, or slowly set on fire, all while reviving every gangster movie cliche ever made, with no "redeeming social significance" whatsover.

I'll never forget one day in Social Studies Class, 1960, our teacher, Mr. Smith, was decrying the increasing violence on American television. As an example, he told of a recent episode of "Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer", starring Darren McGavin. Smith said, "In one scene, this Hammer guy jumps feet first into a man's stomach, to get him to talk! Disgusting! Where is all of this leading? What kind of example is this to you young people?"

Mr. Smith, you checked out too soon.

• Like 1

Just watched Sequestered (new S01E01) - looks quite good. Child murder case, jury is sequestered after one of the jury members is attacked (and has to be replaced). Can't say much without a spoiler, but looks like it will be conspiracy based.

• Like 1

Morning boys and girls...

Here's a new show that took off today - Legends - looking at the preview it looks like it could be quite good.. A cross between 24 and Jason Bourne...

Nice call Mr Smith, it looks pretty good.

I quite like Sean Bean. I used to go to school with his brother Jellytongue.png

Had not heard about it and just watched it. Rather conventional so far. But I will wait for the second episode before I turn my thumb. Waiting for the so far more interesting underlying story line to develop.

BTW: I once met Sean Beans sister, Cari Bean-Queen, very nice lady! whistling.gif

(cringe)

Edited by jope
  • Like 1

Just watched Sequestered (new S01E01) - looks quite good. Child murder case, jury is sequestered after one of the jury members is attacked (and has to be replaced). Can't say much without a spoiler, but looks like it will be conspiracy based.

Where did that come from? I find it strange that it is split up into 6 episodes of 20 min each. Seems to be quite an unusual format for a drama. Or was that a two part TV film that was split up afterwards (for whatever reason, e.g. to better sell it on iTunes)?

I agree, it looks rather good. I already found a character I seriously dislike. Probably the female lead role who is supposed to be regarded as "good". But she is so humorless and self-righteous. Considering the circumstances at the end of episode 1, I doubt that her attitude will change any time soon...

Outlander has just started. About a nurse from the late 40s (ex-war nurse after the war) is sent back in time whilst on a trip to Scotland. She ends up in 18th century Scotland at a time of the English putting down Scottish resistance. She lands in the thick of things. It was a little slow to start, which makes sense here as we had to know her and her life before, so give it a chance. I enjoyed it enough to be looking forward to the second episode. Nothing entirely new of course - what is? - but done well as expected from Auntie.

Been doing a Burn Notice marathon as I never watched more than the first few episodes of season 1 (due to a couple of episodes early on being hard to get online for several weeks - and me giving up for a while, and then forgetting all about it) - almost at the end of Season 2 now. Great show biggrin.png

Coincidentally I am up to the last episode of the last season, Season 7

Had not heard about it and just watched it. Rather conventional so far. But I will wait for the second episode before I turn my thumb. Waiting for the so far more interesting underlying story line to develop.

BTW: I once met Sean Beans sister, Cari Bean-Queen, very nice lady! whistling.gif

(cringe)

I met his fava once... Big fan of Chianti...

yup... that's my queue...

What about his uncle Bakedfacepalm.gif

• Like 2

(cringe)

**groan**

• Like 2

(cringe)

Yes had the pleasure once many moons ago... Do you know if he's still married to the ever delightful Soy?

• Like 2