What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Just watched Nightcrawler. Jake G has crafted a perfect portrait of a sociopath. He goes around spouting newspeak cliches out of self-help and "effective strategies in modern management" books, while violating every rule of moral behavior, all with a vacant smile on his face.

Deeply disturbing, but I couldn't look away.

9-1/2

• Like 2

Movie - The Drop

Thought this was an excellent crime drama.
Starring James Gandolfini in his last role.
IMDB rate it a 7.5 but I liked it a bit better than that.

IMDB: Bob Saginowski finds himself at the center of a robbery gone awry and entwined
in an investigation that digs deep into the neighborhood's past where friends, families,
and foes all work together to make a living - no matter the cost.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1600196/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

I went to the cinema to watch the final episode of The Hobbit.

It looked like it was all over for the dwarves and the elves, but the Eagles turned up and saved the day

"Welcome to the Hotel California!"

I've never seen my kids so embarrassed...

SC

• Like 1

Just watched a decent little Aussie flick called The Mule.

I enjoyed this one. Thought Hugo Weaving was a riot.

Inspired by true events, The Mule tells the story of a naive man who is detained by federal police with lethal

narcotics hidden in his stomach. Alone and afraid, ‘the Mule’ makes a desperate choice; to defy his bodily functions

and withhold the evidence… literally. By doing so he becomes a 'human time bomb'; dragging cops, criminals and

concerned family into his impossible escapade.

For me Hugo Weaving saved this movie. he was excellent.

Not so excellent, imo, was Angus Sampson, who played the lead.m I'm not overly keen on this guys acting abilities.

• Like 1

Movie - The Drop

IMDB: Bob Saginowski finds himself at the center of a robbery gone awry and entwined

in an investigation that digs deep into the neighborhood's past where friends, families,

Yes, I watched it last night, very interesting movie, with a dose of realism by the bartender (if not sociopathy).

Also watched Gone Girl, which was well done too.

• Like 2

Saw The Drop last night. Really good acting by...EVERYBODY in the film. I read somewhere that Noomi Rapace (the Original and still the Greatest Girl with the Dragon Tattoo!) didn't speak English. Well, she sounds completely believable speaking East Coast working class English in this film. And Tom Hardy! He is phenomenal in everything I've seen him in. He is in that rare company of great young(ish) UK actors who can do it all: Christian Bale, Benedict Cumberbatch, Gary Oldman, etc.

The script is a typical semi-downer by Dennis Lehane. Not a lot of laughs, but the little dog lightened up the proceedings somewhat.

Sad that this was James Gandolfini's last film. He was good in this, but his best non-Soprano role was as a really good guy in Welcome to the Rileys, a small film that I recommend most enthusiastically. Melissa Leo and Kristen Stewart are great in this one too.

• Like 2

Watching THE Interview , the Movie that has N Korea so upset Frack them commie ! lol

http://vidto.me/m0w3s4zejt4f.html

just finished MOZART IN THE JUNGLE Amazon TV show about NY Symphony's newest Conductor and what goes on behind the scenes , and drugs Classical Musicians take along their path !

http://www.movie1k.tv/?s=Mozart+in+the+Jungle

All are free...just press the right buttons , the pop ups are full pages but just close them

Have not had any virus or malware problems just a noisy ad upon occasion !

post-35854-0-73631800-1419731352_thumb.j

• Like 1

The BBC just now ran a short piece on modern updates on the film noir genre, specifically focused on Australian films featuring crime and various bad behaviors, all drenched in Down Under sunshine. Since Noir is just about my favorite type of movie, I eagerly wrote down their recommendations.

Last night I watched Animal Kingdom (2010), featuring a family of armed robbers headed by a deadly “sweet” , frumpy Alpha-Mom called Smurf. Jacki Weaver steals the show with this portrayal. Her eldest son, Pope, played by Ben Mendesohn, is the twitchiest psycho I've seen on screen in quite some time. The story is revealed through the narrative of a laconic teenager, Joshua, Smurf's grandson, who comes to live with the crew after his mother OD's on heroin.

I love films that make the most of their obvious low budget. The only “star” in this one is Guy Pearce, who was so good as Lt. “Shotgun” Exley in L.A. Confidential. Here he's a straight arrow Melbourne detective, trying to “save” the kid, while also trying to keep him on ice as a key witness against the crew.

Look this one up. It's a pissah, as Ray Donovan might say.

BIG TEN, with a “00” shotgun load to the face!

• Like 2

The BBC just now ran a short piece on modern updates on the film noir genre, specifically focused on Australian films featuring crime and various bad behaviors, all drenched in Down Under sunshine. Since Noir is just about my favorite type of movie, I eagerly wrote down their recommendations.

Last night I watched Animal Kingdom (2010), featuring a family of armed robbers headed by a deadly “sweet” , frumpy Alpha-Mom called Smurf. Jacki Weaver steals the show with this portrayal. Her eldest son, Pope, played by Ben Mendesohn, is the twitchiest psycho I've seen on screen in quite some time. The story is revealed through the narrative of a laconic teenager, Joshua, Smurf's grandson, who comes to live with the crew after his mother OD's on heroin.

I love films that make the most of their obvious low budget. The only “star” in this one is Guy Pearce, who was so good as Lt. “Shotgun” Exley in L.A. Confidential. Here he's a straight arrow Melbourne detective, trying to “save” the kid, while also trying to keep him on ice as a key witness against the crew.

Yep,

Animal Kingdom was really good.

I actually preferred The Boys.

Great cast and David Wenham was just outstanding.

• Like 1

Yep,

Love both Animal Kingdom and Teh Boys. The Boys was some dark Sh*it.

Jackie Weaver pops up in the American remake of Broadchurch (US version is Gracepoint)

• Like 1

Movie - The Drop

Yes, I watched it last night, very interesting movie, with a dose of realism by the bartender (if not sociopathy).

Also watched Gone Girl, which was well done too.

Three recommendations for the Drop! Looking forward to it

Yep,

Jackie Weaver pops up in the American remake of Broadchurch (US version is Gracepoint)

My oath it was dark.

I believed it was based on the disappearance of Anita Cobby.

David Wenham is a great actor. Saw him on Australia Network last year in

Killing Time, which was based on disgraced lawyer Andrew Fraser and he was excellent.

• Like 1

If you liked Animal Kingdom, you also might enjoy another Aussie cracker called Lantana.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0259393/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Like 1

Yep,

Second series of the British Broadchurch starts on 6th jan ,so ready to download on the 7ththumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Redirected

First Lithuanian movie I have seen. Combination British/Lithuanian, but mainly set in Lithuania. This is one continual movie of action, shooting, fighting, accidents, more fighting, more shooting, drinking, more fighting...Easy to watch. Stars Vinnie Jones

6.5/10 from me

REDIRECTED is an outrageous hangover-meets-guy-ritchie type criminal action-drama-thriller comedy with a distinctive flavor of Eastern European exotic. It tells a story of four friends turned first-time robbers John, Ben, Tim and Michael who accidentally get stranded in a middle-of-nowhere Eastern European country and have to fight their way back home through the land of whores, smugglers, dirty cops, cheap beer and sick fantasies. In order to save their asses, friends must not only overcome an ultimate culture shock experience, but also rediscover their friendship.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2275946/synopsis?ref_=ttpl_pl_syn

Just watched it last night and agree with your rating.

It reminded me of a poor mans Guy Ritchie moviesmile.png

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

Just watched the movie "Foxcatcher". Supposedly based on a true story. One of the better American movies i have watched this year. Intense. True story? Maybe some North Americans that know about this can tell me?

Thansk for the heads up. Based on a true story

Foxcatcher is a 2014 American biographical drama film co-produced and directed by Bennett Miller.

The greatest Olympic Wrestling Champion brother team joins Team Foxcatcher lead by multimillionaire sponsor John E. du Pont as they train for the 1988 games in Seoul - a union that leads to unlikely circumstances.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1100089/

• Like 1

I don't like to post negative reviews, but...saw the Australian so-called "modern fim noir" The Rover last night. It was grim and stark, which I always enjoy, but....... I DID NOT GET IT!

It's sort of a buddies road movie, but the two guys aren't buddies. Robert Pattinson plays his part as some sort of subnormal semi-dullard, in the middle of the Outback "Ten Years After The Collapse," speaking in a form of US Appalachian Mountains accent! The Collapse (?) is undefined, and also unexplained is why only American currency is acceptable in this grim environment.

It was written and directed by David Michod, the guy who brought us the all time smash Animal Kingdom.

I kept hoping Mad Max Mel G would roll up and save this aimless picture.

Five and 7/8 for me, but many may feel free to disagree. What am I missing?

• Like 2

I don't like to post negative reviews, but...saw the Australian so-called "modern fim noir" The Rover last night. It was grim and stark, which I always enjoy, but....... I DID NOT GET IT!

It's sort of a buddies road movie, but the two guys aren't buddies. Robert Pattinson plays his part as some sort of subnormal semi-dullard, in the middle of the Outback "Ten Years After The Collapse," speaking in a form of US Appalachian Mountains accent! The Collapse (?) is undefined, and also unexplained is why only American currency is acceptable in this grim environment.

It was written and directed by David Michod, the guy who brought us the all time smash Animal Kingdom.

I kept hoping Mad Max Mel G would roll up and save this aimless picture.

Five and 7/8 for me, but many may feel free to disagree. What am I missing?

Rover was very disappointing. I was looking forward to it and it didn't marry up to my expectations. I gave it a 3/10 on here back a few months.

Good news, mad Max Fury Road is nearly with us (apologies if i have posted this a few times..)

Edited by BookMan

71 is a 2014 British historical action film set in Northern Ireland. Written by Gregory Burke and directed by Yann Demange. tells the story of a British soldier who becomes separated from his unit during a riot in Belfast at the height of the Troubles in 1971. Filming began on location in Blackburn, Lancashire in April 2013 and continued in Sheffield and Liverpool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%2771_%28film%29

7.5/10 from me

Dumb and Dumber To

Awful movie. I found the first one funny, maybe an indication I was 20+ years younger then, This one just doesn’t work and I gave up half way through, not even sure if I got one laugh by the rime I clicked off. Maybe it got better…

1/10 from me.

20 years since their first adventure, Lloyd and Harry go on a road trip to find Harry's newly discovered daughter, who was given up for adoption. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2096672/?ref_=nv_sr_1

We Still Kill The old Way

The premise is okay. Some good old time British actors featured. Watchable.

5.5/10 from me

A group of aging London gangsters go on a vigilante killing spree (up against a younger gang) when one of their number is murdered by a street gang.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3157224/

By The Gun

Summary: Nick Tortano (Ben Barnes), an ambitious criminal from the streets of Boston, finally proves himself to the boss (Harvey Keitel) after years of idolizing Italian gangsters. Once he becomes a made man, Nick's loyalty is tested when he must choose between his family, his girl (Leighton Meester), and the Mafia he was so desperate to join.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/by-the-gun

3/10 from me

• Like 2

71 is a 2014 British historical action film set in Northern Ireland. Written by Gregory Burke and directed by Yann Demange. tells the story of a British soldier who becomes separated from his unit during a riot in Belfast at the height of the Troubles in 1971. Filming began on location in Blackburn, Lancashire in April 2013 and continued in Sheffield and Liverpool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%2771_%28film%29

7.5/10 from me

Dumb and Dumber To

Awful movie. I found the first one funny, maybe an indication I was 20+ years younger then, This one just doesn’t work and I gave up half way through, not even sure if I got one laugh by the rime I clicked off. Maybe it got better…

1/10 from me.

20 years since their first adventure, Lloyd and Harry go on a road trip to find Harry's newly discovered daughter, who was given up for adoption. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2096672/?ref_=nv_sr_1

We Still Kill The old Way

The premise is okay. Some good old time British actors featured. Watchable.

5.5/10 from me

A group of aging London gangsters go on a vigilante killing spree (up against a younger gang) when one of their number is murdered by a street gang.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3157224/

By The Gun

Summary: Nick Tortano (Ben Barnes), an ambitious criminal from the streets of Boston, finally proves himself to the boss (Harvey Keitel) after years of idolizing Italian gangsters. Once he becomes a made man, Nick's loyalty is tested when he must choose between his family, his girl (Leighton Meester), and the Mafia he was so desperate to join.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/by-the-gun

3/10 from me

I have 71 ready to go.

Agree (again) about We Still Kill The Old Way.

Thought it could have been a lot better as the premise was ok.

Was going to give By The Gun a crack but just too many bad reviews for

me to try it.

• Like 1