What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

I watched a movie today, Away from Her.

A Canadian production with Julie Christie's superb performance as an Alzeimer's sufferer, being the redeeming feature.

I believe she was one of the Best Actress nominees for this role.

Anyone know if there's going to be a second True Detective series and if so is it still going to be Mathew Mc and Woody Harrelson?

Terrific 1st series anyway, IMO.

True Detective was a highlight of the year so far...

"Even before "True Detective" Season 1 was wrapped up, media and fans were talking about Season 2. Fans are eagerly looking for answers to their questions related to the show's next series. They have been wondering who would star as "True Detective" and what kind of storyline will be followed. Speculations about the same issues are running rampant. According to the latest update, "The Normal Heart" actor Brad Pitt is at the top of the list of potential main cast of "True Detective" Season 2. The latest updates also suggest that the show's storyline may be different from the murder mystery shown in previous season. Keep reading to find out the details. [Warning: Spoilers Alert]

According to the Daily Star UK, Hollywood actor Brad Pitt could be the star of "True Detective" Season 2. The report suggests that the actor is "close to signing a deal" to star as the main cast member.

Brad Pitt is reportedly "thrashing out last minute details of a deal" with HBO. "12 Years a Slave" actor has already given the "green light" to the new project."

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/552319/20140513/true-detective-season-2-cast-news-spoilers.htm

• Like 1

They released TWO episodes of 24, but I did not know it until the next day. Halfway though the second one, I was on the edge of my seat like the old days. Who cares if Jack Bauer looks too old for the part? It has been a while, but I am pretty sure that they are making him more of a superman type than they used to. He is in a room full of professional murderers with machine guns and he tells them,, "You may think that I am at a bit of a disadvantage here, but I assure you that I am not" and then he proceeds to kill them all with a variety of weapons that he finds in the room.

By the way, the woman who plays Chloe on 24 is a really good actress. I always thought she was neurotic in real life and kind of playing herself, but I saw an interview and she seemed totally normal - nothing like her part in the show.

Just watched the 3rd episode, and thankfully they have slowed the action down a bit (though still plenty) to make it more believable for a guy his age. The story line is picking up nicely, and it's getting as suspenseful as the original, though using better scripts and actors than just action. Overall, and very satisfying sequel for die hard 24 fans.

Just watched a new Aussie series...

Bogan Hunters... <deleted> hilarious! Not sure if it can be picked up via the normal sources though...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Looking forward to this one.

Maybe outside Australia watch it through the website live. outside of OZ you could use Hola to change your location?

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/bogan-hunters/-/watch/23475388/tue-13-may-series-1-episode-1/

Maybe outside Australia watch it through the website live. outside of OZ you could use Hola to change your location?

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/bogan-hunters/-/watch/23475388/tue-13-may-series-1-episode-1/

As a fellow Aussie, you will be, I can't stop recommending it to my mates who are overseas and miss a good pisstake at our welfare dependent society, especially given the timing of the release of this series ;)

I had to watch it via the channel 7 app because their website isn't iDevice friendly, so it will be interesting to see if geoblocking is at play when I get back to BKK next week...

As a fellow Aussie, you will be, I can't stop recommending it to my mates who are overseas and miss a good pisstake at our welfare dependent society, especially given the timing of the release of this series wink.png

I had to watch it via the channel 7 app because their website isn't iDevice friendly, so it will be interesting to see if geoblocking is at play when I get back to BKK next week...

The term bogan (/ˈbɡən/)[1] is Australian and New Zealand slang, usually pejorative or self-deprecating, for an individual who is recognised to be from an unsophisticated background or someone whose speech, clothing, attitude and behaviour exemplify a lack of manners and education.[2] Whilst bogan is widely recognised, localised names exist that describe the same or very similar groups of people.[3]

I had a squiz last night at the show and it had some laughs. The featured people are a treat to watch. My only criticism was it was fairly choppy at times, and hard to focus on anyone particular bogan early on. This was disappointing as their was some fairly hot n rough bogan girls featured.

I'm in OZ at the moment so no problems watching. I switched my location to the US via HOLA and i was no able to view the show, so if you are in Thailand and switch to AUS you should be able to view.

• Like 1

What the hell is Patsy going to do without her Chicago Fire hunkathon until the Autumn?

I'd send u a photo of myself every week but i'm spoken for laugh.png

That's a pretty good offer Patsy.

It's common knowledge on the forum that BookMan is the 2nd

most handsome guy on here.

I also have it on a good authority that most of the other guys who

frequent the AFL sub-forum aren't too shabby either, especially a Mr Smith.

Sorry for being off topic gang, I couldn't help myself.

It's a sicknessbiggrin.png

Edited by Will27
  • Like 2

I watched The Great Raid last night, it is based on a true story from WW2, a Ranger unit is sent thirty miles behind enemy lines to rescue more than 500 American POWs in the Philippines, it includes footage from the return of the troops with the rescued POWs at the end of the movie. A very good movie, well made. 9/10

• Like 1

I watched The Great Raid last night, it is based on a true story from WW2, a Ranger unit is sent thirty miles behind enemy lines to rescue more than 500 American POWs in the Philippines, it includes footage from the return of the troops with the rescued POWs at the end of the movie. A very good movie, well made. 9/10

For anyone who loves war movies, as I do (especially WW2), there is a good free streaming channel on Veetle, in the entertainment section with all the movies, that shows war movies 24/7. All the good ones are there, and a lot of lesser known or forgotten ones too.

• Like 2

Jack Ryan was entertaining , amazing how many British actors get leading roles these days in Hollywood and US TV, albeit with American accents

Yeah, I just watched Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit, was a pretty good action movie, with a fairly decent story line. I guess you're referring to Keira Knightley who was female lead. I don't like her, and she looks like an HIV victim she's so thin, I mean Starvin' Marvin thin. Chris Pine is pretty one dimensional, but works as an action star.

Watched this the other night and it had a lot of good action scenes. I'd disagree about Keira though; she can share a cider with me any day of the week tongue.png

7/10 from me

• Like 1

Boy do I have some catching up to do! Just finished downloading the last of my regular TV shows. I think I counted about 20 plus episodes :P

Some shows that I might find myself getting into as well after the last couple of flights;

Persons of Interest; at first I thought this was crap and watched maybe the first 2 episodes. Caught a few of the more recent seasons and seems a little bit more interesting.

Almost Human; looks like combination of Robocop and Total Recall. Only one season so far. But a good mix of scifi and cop action. Not too many actors of note, but this young lady certainly keeps ones attention ;)

• Like 1

Boy do I have some catching up to do! Just finished downloading the last of my regular TV shows. I think I counted about 20 plus episodes :P

Some shows that I might find myself getting into as well after the last couple of flights;

Persons of Interest; at first I thought this was crap and watched maybe the first 2 episodes. Caught a few of the more recent seasons and seems a little bit more interesting.

Almost Human; looks like combination of Robocop and Total Recall. Only one season so far. But a good mix of scifi and cop action. Not too many actors of note, but this young lady certainly keeps ones attention ;)

Almost human looked great...then I noticed it has been cancelled, so not much point in watching I guess.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

April 29, 2014, FOX announced today that they will not be renewing Almost Human.

'Firefly.' 'Alcatraz.' 'Terra Nova.' 'Dollhouse.' 'Dark Angel.' These are but a few of the FOX sci-fi and fantasy series to be canceled before their time. Over its more than a quarter-century of existence, the network has steadily built up a reputation as the place that genre shows go to die. Sadly, one more name has now been added to that list.

What a shame

It's still worth watching what was produced though.

• Like 1

Boy do I have some catching up to do! Just finished downloading the last of my regular TV shows. I think I counted about 20 plus episodes tongue.png

Almost Human; looks like combination of Robocop and Total Recall. Only one season so far. But a good mix of scifi and cop action. Not too many actors of note, but this young lady certainly keeps ones attention wink.png

Good to see you getting with the program Mr Smith.

POI is one of my faves. Really good chemistry between

the leading two actors.

Season 3 finished last week.

the leading two actors.

Yeah must have taken longer than I cared for that chemistry to establish between Finch and Reese. But I'll load it up for catch up come break time in prime time.

• Like 1

Boy do I have some catching up to do! Just finished downloading the last of my regular TV shows. I think I counted about 20 plus episodes tongue.png

Almost Human; looks like combination of Robocop and Total Recall. Only one season so far. But a good mix of scifi and cop action. Not too many actors of note, but this young lady certainly keeps ones attention wink.png

the leading two actors.

I watched the first couple of episodes but I couldn't get into it. Maybe ill try the later half of the season.

Another show that has upped its game and strengthened itself is Elementary. I never disliked the show, but i preferred the recent English Sherlock series over this one.

This season though, the show has gotten better, and the characters roles more defined.

• Like 2

April 29, 2014, FOX announced today that they will not be renewing Almost Human.

'Firefly.' 'Alcatraz.' 'Terra Nova.' 'Dollhouse.' 'Dark Angel.' These are but a few of the FOX sci-fi and fantasy series to be canceled before their time. Over its more than a quarter-century of existence, the network has steadily built up a reputation as the place that genre shows go to die. Sadly, one more name has now been added to that list.

What a shame

It's still worth watching what was produced though.

That is bad news. I enjoyed Almost Human - Alcatraz, Terra Nova and Firefly too.sad.png

Just finished watching a 2001 film, Monster with Charlize Theron who gives a searing, deglamourised performance as real life serial killer Aileen Wuernos. Understandably nominated that year for best actress.

Charlize Theron leaves her glamorous image behind for this gritty drama, in which she plays a disturbed prostitute who becomes a serial killer. Aileen Wuornos (Theron) was a woman who survived a brutal and abusive childhood in Michigan to become a thick-skinned but emotionally damaged adult. Homeless most of her life, Wuornos subsisted by working as a street prostitute; later, when she was in Florida, down to her last five dollars and pondering suicide, she stopped into a bar for a beer. There, Aileen met Selby Wall (Christina Ricci), a woman in her early twenties who had been sent to live with relatives after her Christian parents became aware of her lesbian lifestyle. Selby is immediately attracted to Aileen, and while Aileen tells Selby she's never been in a lesbian relationship, she soon finds herself equally infatuated with her. Selby runs away from her family and moves into a cheap hotel with Aileen, who initially pays the bills by hooking. However, as their money runs low and Aileen finds herself unable to land a regular job, tensions mount between the two. One night, after a john attacks her, Aileen pulls a gun and kills the man. Although her first murder can be categorized as self-defense, Aileen's loathing for the men who pay her for sex becomes so extreme that she begins killing her customers regardless of their behavior. Meanwhile, Selby slowly becomes aware of the full extent of her lover's instability and the bloody consequences of her actions. Monster was inspired by the true story of Aileen Wuornos, whose life and death was chronicled in two documentaries by filmmaker Nick Broomfield, Aileen Wuornos: The Selling of a Serial Killer, and Aileen: The Life and Death of a Serial Killer. ~ Mark Deming, Rovi

• Like 2

I'm playing catch up with a lot of movies. Just watched what IMO is another excellent movie; Frida (2002) with Oscar nominated Salma Hayek, Alfred Molena and Geoffrey Rush. A wonderful performance by Salma and I always enjoy the much underrated Alfred Molena. Geoffrey Rush is fast becoming a legend, superb in everything he does.

'Biopics of artists are always difficult, because the connections between life and art always seem too easy and facile. The best ones lead us back to the work itself and inspire us to sympathize with its maker. "Frida" is jammed with incident and anecdote--this was a life that ended at 46 and yet made longer lives seem underfurnished. Director Julie Taymor obviously struggled with the material, as did her many writers; the screenwriters listed range from the veteran Clancy Sigal to the team of Gregory Nava and Anna Thomas, and much of the final draft was reportedly written by Norton. Sometimes we feel as if the film careens from one colorful event to another without respite, but sometimes it must have seemed to Frida Kahlo as if her life did, too'.

'The film opens in 1953, on the date of Frida's only one-woman show in Mexico. Her doctor tells her she is too sick to attend it, but she has her bed lifted into a flat-bed truck and carried to the gallery. This opening gesture provides Taymor with the set-up for the movie's extraordinary closing scenes, in which death itself is seen as another work of art'.

• Like 2