Thailand Tries To Boost Bio-diesel Consumption

george

Thailand tries to boost bio-diesel consumption

BANGKOK: -- In an attempt to boost consumption of alternative energy which could reduce oil imports, the Energy Ministry has set a revised bio-diesel consumption target on consumption at 500,000 litres per day this year with at least another 300 service stations to be set up nationwide.

Energy Minister Piyasvasti Amaranand said his ministry would encourage more consumption of bio-diesel this year. Daily consumption has been set at 500,000 litres while PTT Pcl. and Bang Chak Petroleum Pcl. will establish more than 300 service stations for bio-diesel distribution throughout the country.

Furthermore the ministry has set a target to increase bio-diesel demand at four million litres daily by the end of 2011 which could save as much as 7 per cent of diesel consumption. This projected amount of diesel saving, added with the use of ethanol and natural gas for vehicles (NGVs), could help the country save around 18 per cent on consumption of benzene and diesel, he said.

Regarding plans to use the state oil fund to help lower the retail price of bio-diesel at service stations by more than 50 satang per litre against diesel price in order to encourage more motorists to switch to using the alternative fuel, Mr. Piyasvasti said his ministry is considering adjusting the price of B100 bio-diesel in order to reflect prices of raw palm oil, ethanol and production costs.

The new prices will be jointly fixed by oil trading firms, bio-diesel manufacturing companies and the Ministry of Energy.

--TNA 2007-01-28

Fantastic,

I think ewveryone should know that Baangjaag petrol (gas) stations sell biodielsel as some stores.

It is always worth popping in and checking, I beleive that mostdieslel cars can take biodielsel, but I heard something that it causes problems with commonrail ???????

Fantastic,

I think ewveryone should know that Baangjaag petrol (gas) stations sell biodielsel as some stores.

It is always worth popping in and checking, I beleive that mostdieslel cars can take biodielsel, but I heard something that it causes problems with commonrail ???????

As I understand it from my research, direct injection diesel engines have a problem with 100% biodiesel, b100, made from raw veg oil, due to the fuel being too viscous. They make kits that slightly heat the oil before they enter your engine. B20 or less(20% biodiesel in the fuel), is supposed to run on all diesel engines, as I understand it.

The other issue with biodiesel is, it cleans out your engine so well, that at first use it could, or probably will, clog your fuel filter as it cleans out unburned gunk from your previous diesel fuel. You simple have your filter changed, once probably, twice in older engines, then you should be problem free.

Biodiesel burns clean, so it's definitely needed in Thailand. It also keeps your engine's insides clean, so it will dramatically extend the life of your engine. Since the government here wants to subsidize this fuel to keep it cheaper than diesel, it's a great idea for the Farang community to get behind, and lead on. An Amerikan company that makes these kits is called goldenfuelsystems. Anyone knows of any company here making the conversion kits please inform us. I, for one, would use biodiesel in a heartbeat. Here's a nonprofit info site:

http://www.biodiesel.org/

Edited by thaimat

Fantastic,

As I understand it from my research, direct injection diesel engines have a problem with 100% biodiesel, b100, made from raw veg oil, due to the fuel being too viscous. They make kits that slightly heat the oil before they enter your engine. B20 or less(20% biodiesel in the fuel), is supposed to run on all diesel engines, as I understand it.

The other issue with biodiesel is, it cleans out your engine so well, that at first use it could, or probably will, clog your fuel filter as it cleans out unburned gunk from your previous diesel fuel. You simple have your filter changed, once probably, twice in older engines, then you should be problem free.

Biodiesel burns clean, so it's definitely needed in Thailand. It also keeps your engine's insides clean, so it will dramatically extend the life of your engine. Since the government here wants to subsidize this fuel to keep it cheaper than diesel, it's a great idea for the Farang community to get behind, and lead on. An Amerikan company that makes these kits is called goldenfuelsystems. Anyone knows of any company here making the conversion kits please inform us. I, for one, would use biodiesel in a heartbeat. Here's a nonprofit info site:

http://www.biodiesel.org/

Here's PTT Pcl (the petrol station company) website explaing a bit about their biodiesel, which is palm oil based, and is a b10, or 10% biodiesel mix. : http://www.pttplc.com/en/ptt_core.asp?page=ps_pr_fu_ds_02 This should run any diesel engine, but best to check with your dealer, and remember to clean your fuel filter as soon as the engine starts to feel sluggish, as that's the sign the filter is clogging with the residue that the biodiesel is cleaning out. Biodiesel also has better lubrication properties than diesel, so is much better at reducing wear on your engine.