How soon before retirement extension expires can I renew?

Ubonjoe

Supplementary to above - my retirement 'visa' expires on Monday 14th May otherwise known as Royal Ploughing Day.  Can I still renew it the following day as I need my passport for this next week?

7 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Ubonjoe

Supplementary to above - my retirement 'visa' expires on Monday 14th May otherwise known as Royal Ploughing Day.  Can I still renew it the following day as I need my passport for this next week?

I assume you have a extension of stay not a visa. Immigration only needs your passport for a few hours when you apply for the new extension.

Since immigration will be closed you could go the next day and not be fined for a overstay. After that you will be fined 500 baht for everyday.

4 minutes ago, mikebell said:

It is a year's extension of stay which I've renewed for the last ten years.  Will it remain intact even though I'm a day late?

Yes it will still be valid.

The only time it would make sense to delay renewing your extension to the last possible day would be if you were planning on a trip overseas (with the return before the extension expires)  and you already had a valid re-entry permit (either unused single or a multi), and you weren't planning on getting one for the following year.

Or, if you'd messed up your calculation re. the 90 days seasoning of savings....

→I will be back to...→work←...the 3rd week of July. ←

General rule is that you can NOT work ,→IN← THAILAND with a "retirement" extension of stay.  There ARE a few exceptions

As per other posts, depending on the IO, you can renew, with the proper paperwork, 30 to 45 days in advance without any loss of stay extension time

Edited by edwardflory
more info

On 07/05/2018 at 3:11 PM, Kopitiam said:

If you have renewed your extension for the past 10 years, why wait until the last day?  You don't lose a day when you renew it 30 days before expiry date.  Go now, no need to worry about public holiday.

You are right but I didn't tell the full story.  Having procured my Embassy letter in good time, I intended to go Thursday/Friday this week but had an urgent call necessitating using my passport which meant I cannot now get to Immigration until Monday (when they are closed.)

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

You are right but I didn't tell the full story.  Having procured my Embassy letter in good time, I intended to go Thursday/Friday this week but had an urgent call necessitating using my passport which meant I cannot now get to Immigration until Monday (when they are closed.)

If I were you, I would seriously consider making a phone call to your local Immigration Office for confirmation about the "1-day late reporting". TIT and local rules do apply.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2018 at 9:36 AM, berybert said:

For some people getting an imaginary last day out of their extension of stay is like winning the World Cup. 

Because nothing can ever go wrong.

Do read the above post. After 10 previous extensions I am well aware of 'imaginary last day' nonsense.  I say again I was set to renew well in hand when I got an urgent summons abroad.  I was not aware of yet another Thai Civil Service holiday for Royal Ploughing Day! 

• Like 1