disposal of cooking gas

janclaes47

I have a bottle of cooking gas that is not connected.

I want to dispose of the gas, but not the bottle.

I had first placed the bottle in the open field and opened it, but it seems to be pretty full. I then considered that this might not be the right option as I think the gas is heavier than air, so it may stay hanging on the ground for long time.

How do i go with that?

• Confused 1

De-pressurize the bottle, remove the top valve and fill it with water, that should do it.

PS, don't smoke whilst you do this.

Edited by grollies
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, delphioracle said:

Simple really. Find a user with an empty gas bottle and swop  it for your full one. The  empty bottles are  almost always  exchanged for a full one. Simple solution really

Go to a shop that sell full bottle and exchange your  for an empty one..... Bring someone that speak Thai as they will certainly do not understand why you want to do that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

That is indeed simple, or is it simplistic.

I will go knock every door in town and explain in Thai that I want to swap a gas bottle.

Take the canister back to the vendor you usually buy from, and swap the full bottle for an empty one. They'll think you're nuts, but I'm sure they'll be delighted to take it off your hands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

This might be a silly question but why don't you connect it and use it for cooking until it is empty.

Or open the valve, chuck a match at it and run.

Just now, fakename said:

Please forgive us, but please tell us why you want an empty bottle. 

Would you want to have a full gas bottle that you don't use sitting around for years in a tropical country?

The bottle hasn't been used for 6 years, and maybe it can sit there for another decade without issues, but why take the risk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

Would you want to have a full gas bottle that you don't use sitting around for years in a tropical country?

The bottle hasn't been used for 6 years, and maybe it can sit there for another decade without issues, but why take the risk.

The big problem that you have is that if you empty the bottle then you will get rust on the inside of the bottle from sitting around in the humid climate and some will say that you close the valve, sorry but that does not stop it and that is why in many countries the bottles must be tested and stamped with a date on the bottom ring or they are not refilled. Your best solution would be to sell the bottle now with the gas in it and then if you need another bottle in a few years then buy a new one. That would be a lot safer than having that bottle sit around empty for a couple of years

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

The big problem that you have is that if you empty the bottle then you will get rust on the inside of the bottle from sitting around in the humid climate and some will say that you close the valve, sorry but that does not stop it and that is why in many countries the bottles must be tested and stamped with a date on the bottom ring or they are not refilled. Your best solution would be to sell the bottle now with the gas in it and then if you need another bottle in a few years then buy a new one. That would be a lot safer than having that bottle sit around empty for a couple of years

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of the date, but will have a look at it tomorrow.

Any suggestions where I could sell it, as I don't know the company who sold it?

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of the date, but will have a look at it tomorrow.

Any suggestions where I could sell it, as I don't know the company who sold it?

I will PM you

14 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Then just take it to your local gas shop and cash it in or give it away?

On 5/8/2018 at 10:37 AM, delphioracle said:

Simple really. Find a user with an empty gas bottle and swop  it for your full one. The  empty bottles are  almost always  exchanged for a full one. Simple solution really

My god, if brains were divided out by god, then this poster came to the party late. thank you

• Haha 1