Travel Tip: check aircon in hotel room first!

RocketDog

Thanks to all for the responses, but my topic was opened solely to avoid most of the solutions offered while spending minimum time and energy.. 

It is a quick and dirty way to predict whether to immediately request another room, and failing that, beat feet for the next hotel down the road. 

My time on the road is precious to me and I'm not interested in confrontations or justice. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Has no one considered calling down to the front desk and requiring the condition to be remedied or insisting on a room change. Maybe a non-starter in the cheaper establishments, but if "nice hotel" means quality hotel, I would expect them to have rooms in good condition or to accept responsibility for correcting any problems. Actually I'm surprised a room going for Baht 650 would have anything more than a ceiling fan if that.

It seems you're another farang experiencing loss of face and lashing out like a child with name calling.

Not at all.. Oxx made a nonsense statement and I called him on it. Simple. Price does not always equate to quality. No? 

We always remove and clean the ac filters in every hotel we stay at - Thailand and elsewhere - but in general Thailand is the worst.  I also spray the ac with a disinfectant and run it on low without the filters for a minute, and then once the filters are back in, I spray again with disinfectant (heaps) and turn it up full blast - we leave the room for 5-10 minutes. If the ac has not cooled the room down by the time we come back, or the room stinks, we ask for another room.  Plus - we will take a small portable air-filter with us when we are in the Rural/Regional areas of Thailand.  I dont see why anyone would balk at a few minutes work/trouble to ensure the air they breath while sleeping is not putrid. Being an older ex-smoker it is a routine that is well worth the trouble for me. And to the next few visitors in the room - no whucking furries.

Edited by ELVIS123456
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ELVIS123456 said:

We always remove and clean the ac filters in every hotel we stay at - Thailand and elsewhere - but in general Thailand is the worst.  I also spray the ac with a disinfectant and run it on low without the filters for a minute, and then once the filters are back in, I spray again with disinfectant (heaps) and turn it up full blast - we leave the room for 5-10 minutes. If the ac has not cooled the room down by the time we come back, or the room sticks, we ask for another room.  PLUS - we will take a small portable air-filter with us when we are in the Rural/Regional areas of Thailand.  I dont see why anyone would balk at a few minutes work/trouble to ensure the air they breath while sleeping is not putrid. Being an older ex-smoker it is a routine that is well worth the trouble for me. And to the next few visitors in the room - no whucking furries.

Actually Elvis, you may have a good idea. I will consider taking some spray disinfectant with me in a small spray bottle. It is true that the filters are usually easily removed and cleaned in the bathroom. 

I stand corrected. 

Thanks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

We always remove and clean the ac filters in every hotel we stay at - Thailand and elsewhere - but in general Thailand is the worst.  I also spray the ac with a disinfectant and run it on low without the filters for a minute, and then once the filters are back in, I spray again with disinfectant (heaps) and turn it up full blast - we leave the room for 5-10 minutes. If the ac has not cooled the room down by the time we come back, or the room stinks, we ask for another room.  Plus - we will take a small portable air-filter with us when we are in the Rural/Regional areas of Thailand.  I dont see why anyone would balk at a few minutes work/trouble to ensure the air they breath while sleeping is not putrid. Being an older ex-smoker it is a routine that is well worth the trouble for me. And to the next few visitors in the room - no whucking furries.

Are you serious?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, grollies said:

I think all you DIY aircon cleaning experts are totally crazy.

I can relate to the aircon experts, grollies.  Do you really want to gather the maintenance crew to stare into space for the best part of your holiday for something that could just as easily be done by one's self?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SooKee said:

The main think I check, if the rooms have individual AC units, is whether the filters have been cleaned, mostly I've found they haven't.  Often clogged with dust and muck.  Blast them out in the shower then re-install.  Some have looked like they've not been cleaned in a year or more.

Yup, that's what I do too. :smile:

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yes, that always works out perfectly

It may not always work out perfectly, although on the few occasions I've asked hotel housekeeping for assistance with a small, room-related problem. immediate attention to the problem resulted, but it certainly seems a more rational approach than undertaking room maintenance projects on your own. 

I suspect your negative experiences with hotel room conditions and the underwhelming response from hotel management is closely related to your hotel ranking system. A "nice hotel" obviously means different things to different people. Indoor plumbing and a complementary fly swatter probably ranks as "nice" to some people.

4 hours ago, StevieAus said:

You don’t need a toolbox just something to stand on so you can reach and lift up the front cover and slide out the two filters

Takes only a few minutes,certainly quicker than getting the so-called resident engineer and a glazed look or being moved to another room with the same problem

As a matter of interest what do you do at home or don’t you use aircon?

You obviously have a handy hand. I may be good in unmounting stuff, but the fun starts when it has to be mounted back and often it just does not fit in !!:cheesy:

As for the AirCon, I live in Europe in summer so rarely used the unit that is on wheels and needs only a rare dust and wash of the sliding filters...In Thailand, I surely will call the local cowboys to do the stuff, but as it is still brand new, do not have much experience yet to feedback.

Edited by observer90210

1 hour ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Nice one!  House we're in now came with all the a/c units in so they've been going for years.  I've had them serviced but master bedroom quit working recently so they did the full service - off the wall and taken apart outside.   Oh boy, it was a science experiment in there, so I'm having all of them done over the next month or so.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Oxx, you are a wealth of good advice. BTW, do you travel much in LOS? 

Thank you for the compliment.  And yes, I do.

Never felt the need personally to clean an air conditioning unit whilst doing so, either.

2 hours ago, grollies said:

Are you serious?

I´m afraid he is.

I found out, to best NOT disturb the filters, as this will spread all the spores in the room. And what gives you guys the idea to ask for other room will result in a different experience ?

I just rent at a good hotel and hope it´s worth the extra dosh.

Life´s to short for cleaning airconditionfilters in hotels . . .

Edited by starfish

5 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yes, that always works out perfectly

Great sarcasm. Totally agree. 

Try getting help in a hotel in Thailand by complaining. 555555!

Best thing you can do is check your room out thoroughly before you pay. Or stay somewhere you know.

• Like 1

But it’s not too short to call the desk, hang around waiting for someone to show up, wait for them to figure out they don’t know what’s wrong, wait for them to arrange another room, and then pack your crap and wait for them to come and move you to your new room which could have the same problem.

Yeah, big time-saver that.

You guys crack me up.
Indeed!! Bizarre! Literally a 30 second job to lift up the filter cover and check if it's clogged with dust and crap. If it is, couple of minutes to hose them clean. I seriously couldn't be asked to involve hotel maintenance in that. It's about as difficult as changing a light bulb.

In all honesty I'm more bothered about the accumulated germs etc than the impact on cooling. Unless they are REALLY bad the AC unit will still cool, just less efficiently, it'll burn more electricity to reach the desired thermo setting. If there's no muck (VERY rare, regardless of the room rate) at least that's one thing eliminated if the AC is crap. In which case likely a gas leak, failed compressor or a faulty unit.

Sent using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You must be quoting from the tourist guide books. The reality, as shown by several postings on this site every day, is far far different.

But thanks for the Aircon tip. Not a bad idea.

Several postings everyday about people losing it in a land of 70,000,000 is hardly a judgement on the entire country but ... mai pen rai.

10 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Indeed!! Bizarre! Literally a 30 second job to lift up the filter cover and check if it's clogged with dust and crap. If it is, couple of minutes to hose them clean. I seriously couldn't be asked to involve hotel maintenance in that. It's about as difficult as changing a light bulb.

In all honesty I'm more bothered about the accumulated germs etc than the impact on cooling. Unless they are REALLY bad the AC unit will still cool, just less efficiently, it'll burn more electricity to reach the desired thermo setting. If there's no muck (VERY rare, regardless of the room rate) at least that's one thing eliminated if the AC is crap. In which case likely a gas leak, failed compressor or a faulty unit.

Sent using Tapatalk

I always unpack my toilet testing kit in front of the bellboy, swipe a good sample and upload the outcome to my scientific research website. That is, if the wifi works :smile: The bellboy always freaks out. No exception.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Have to say that’s something I have never thought of but a good point I was only thinking of the performance issue.

Remember many  years ago of a problem with Legionares Disease in Australia I think they tracked it down to the cooling towers? In some commercial air con  units in shopping centers or similar.

Not really an issue here as most all ac is room type, vs water cooling... thank goodness... because maintenance is not a strength in thai thinking... if it ain’t broke, dont muck with it, seems the go.... unfortunately, their opinion of broke, differs significantly from the reality

edit... if you have pre paid, it’s harder to action.... although stamping ones feet in reception until action is forthcoming, can work, esp whilst others are checking in.. lol... this also worked well for me in Denver.

Edited by farcanell

1 hour ago, starfish said:

I always unpack my toilet testing kit in front of the bellboy, swipe a good sample and upload the outcome to my scientific research website. That is, if the wifi works :smile: The bellboy always freaks out. No exception.

I need a test kit... what constitute yours... really interested... pm me if you don’t want to post ( I’m thinking Gordon Ramsey’s bacterial swab test here, post your comment)

1 hour ago, whaleboneman said:

Several postings everyday about people losing it in a land of 70,000,000 is hardly a judgement on the entire country but ... mai pen rai.

It’s not the “loosing it” that’s the issue... it’s the lack of give a damn that goes along with pointing out deficiencies that the next and next and next person gets shafted with, that’s the issue

trapped audience... thanks for the money... stuff your opinion... complain publically and we will sue you

great tourism model, that

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

But it’s not too short to call the desk, hang around waiting for someone to show up, wait for them to figure out they don’t know what’s wrong, wait for them to arrange another room, and then pack your crap and wait for them to come and move you to your new room which could have the same problem.

Yeah, big time-saver that.

You guys crack me up.

Lol.... or book a room with the facilities you want... then get messed around because they aren’t providing what your paying for... fraud... some complain, some accept it... not good enough

if I rent a car... I expect it to be roadworthy... if I rent a room, I expect that they provide what they advertise

thats fair... and not hard... esp given that they are charging you for the things that are not working, despite being included

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

Sent using Tapatalk

Do not ever mess with anything electrical in this country, or you may end up dead

9 hours ago, Lokie said:

Couple of mins to clean out the filters, as said something to stand on and the bum gun or shower to clean them out, I then give the filters a good squirt of air freshener/fabreeze slot em back in and jobs a good un'

And do you then go down to the beach and start picking up trash?

2 hours ago, farcanell said:

And do you then go down to the beach and start picking up trash?

And then i spend 4 hours posting on facebook, how crappy things are here. Unfortunately my holiday is over, meanwhile :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Here's the tip: look at the temperature setting on the control. If the last user had it set at something like 20 or below, that means the aircon sucks. The last occupant set it very low in hopes that it would eventually cool, but didn't. 

Not sure that is 100%, many people have little concept of what a thermostat is and are impatient to get the room down in temperature, and think setting it lower will do the job faster. I have also come across many who like the room extra cold and to wrap up in bed or leave a window open. Even the room cleaners sometimes set it cold while they work. A working aircon should only take a matter of minutes to be blowing cold air.  I check mine by feeling for hot air being blown out of the compressor end too. 

Edited by jacko45k

6 hours ago, SooKee said:

It's about as difficult as changing a light bulb.

Do you travel with spare light bulbs too?

I used to keep a little screwdriver in my shower bag and it sometimes got a bit of use soon after checking into a room. Calling maintenance and having some goon turn up without a single tool is just annoying! 

Edited by jacko45k