Video: Fake Thai smile exposed! Irony reigns as "copycat" videos take the Mickey!

webfact

1 minute ago, KiwiKiwi said:

I don't agree, but I will defend to the death your right to think whatever you want.

If you don`t agree, then Thais and their cultural ways of doing things will never reach your expectations.  I don`t place too much emphasise on what`s really behind the gestures of other people. Yes, in my mind if a Thai stranger smiles at me, I know it`s just a form of politeness and doesn`t mean that person really likes me, but who cares? So what, who gives a f***?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Is the reason for their being uncomfortable and embarrassed in some way linked to your belief that they are giving me the "kee nok" smile or have you moved on from that idea? 

In my experience, many Thai's are utterly broken, the system is designed to make people submissive and controllable, and it works for a great deal of society, they shuffle around competing with the stranger approaching to be the lowest, smiling shyly if they aren't sure if they were quite low enough for their low self esteem.  It's quite a contrast to the West, where so many are so over inflated that the best they can manage is a condescending snort as they pass, doing their best to hold their head high enough that they are literally looking down on the person they pass.  Its sometimes hard to see which is worse but ultimately I do prefer our own freedom in the West, despite the many who find their head in the sky, for there are no doubt more for whom it is levelling.

Then we are in agreement, perhaps for the first time. It's because, as you say, they are utterly broken. And, were you broken, what feelings would be going through you?

3 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

If you don`t agree, then Thais and their cultural ways of doing things will never reach your expectations.  I don`t place too much emphasise on what`s really behind the gestures of other people. Yes, in my mind if a Thai stranger smiles at me, I know it`s just a form of politeness and doesn`t mean that person really likes me, but who cares? So what, who gives a f***?

You do, though you probably manage to pretend it doesn't. But if you're honest with yourself, every time you think someone is smiling at you, you get that little 'tingle' that perhaps they're genuine so you look again. Only to be disappointed. Such is life, they don't give a damn and resent your presence in 'their' country and the fact that you've likely got more money than them. Bucket of cold water I know, but true despite that.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

8 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

"I don`t place too much emphasise on what`s really behind the gestures of other people"

I know you don't. It shows.

Bored now. Over and out.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

7 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Then we are in agreement, perhaps for the first time. It's because, as you say, they are utterly broken. And, were you broken, what feelings would be going through you?

The Thais are utterly broken! What on earth do you mean?

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

If you see Thais walking past people without their heads bowed then you must be a in a different Thailand to me.

It's a bit funny when Thais visit my dwellings, I might be slouching on a couch having a beer, but I'm facing the stairs to upstairs. When they climb up they almost slither on the steps trying to keep lower than my head. Gotta love the lowly peasants. Now fill me beer glass, servants, thy master orders ya.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Ooh, your cutting analysis is OTT - it's humbled me and that's the truth. I think I'll go out and kill myself.

I'm truly sorry about my 'pseudo-intellectual knowledge', and it took such a lot of work to develop too.  But I promise you, it wasn't just to make you feel inadequate, I understand the pain you've had to cope with (since Daddy anyway). But you're probably right, everybody else's knowledge is somehow not as good as our own, it's a  feeling that some people do have..

Still, good luck for when you wander back to Aussie, and try to get a good therapist, there are some things that can be done fairly quickly and I'm sure he didn't intend to be so mean.

Didn't get the thing about jam and the doughnut though, I'm afraid you'll have to explain that.

You are quite hard behind that keyboard of yours, are you not? I wonder if you would be so willing to trade insults were we face to face? I think not. Such is the way of the keyboard coward. One of us certainly needs therapy though it appears it is you as evidenced by your incessant ranting. No reason to neck yourself unless you feel it is necessary I am positive you won't be missed. Cheerio 

Edited by starky

8 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Quoting another:

Understanding that Thais place a high value on avoiding conflict and maintaining social harmony...

Gee, I must have missed that part when they were killing each other in the streets. :ph34r:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, bannork said:

Put yourself in their position, absorb their culture and behaviour and examine what feelings are engendered and what engenders them. Walk a mile in their shoes, it's the only effective way to get the insight - all of us psuedo-intellectuals and bogus purveyors of psychobabble do it. Well, those with PhD's anyway.

Just now, KiwiKiwi said:

Put yourself in their position, absorb their culture and behaviour and examine what feelings are engendered and what engenders them. Walk a mile in their shoes, it's the only effective way to get the insight - all of us psuedo-intellectuals and bogus purveyors of psychobabble do it. Well, those with PhD's anyway.

Still here? I thought you were bored. 

6 minutes ago, starky said:

You are quite hard behind that keyboard of yours, are you not? I wonder if you would be so willing to trade insults were we face to face? I think not. Such is the way of the keyboard coward. One of us certainly needs therapy though it appears it is you as evidenced by your incessant ranting. No reason to neck yourself unless you feel it is necessary I am positive you won't be missed. Cheerio 

Ah, the bravery of being out of range. My regards to Daddy - it was an educated guess which you just confirmed. Thanks. Over and out.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

18 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

You do, though you probably manage to pretend it doesn't. But if you're honest with yourself, every time you think someone is smiling at you, you get that little 'tingle' that perhaps they're genuine so you look again. Only to be disappointed. Such is life, they don't give a damn and resent your presence in 'their' country and the fact that you've likely got more money than them. Bucket of cold water I know, but true despite that.

People smile at people, genuinely, when they have been made to feel happy by them, do you think your mere presence should be enough to make a stranger happy?  I tend to go for the earn peoples respect tactic, that way the smiles are earned and tend to be genuine.

1 minute ago, KiwiKiwi said:

I've seen my Thai nieces marry good guys, buy houses and cars together, and yet the family ( Issan) remains as close and loving as ever.  

Nothing broken there that I can see and I've known them for over 20 years.

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

People smile at people, genuinely, when they have been made to feel happy by them, do you think your mere presence should be enough to make a stranger happy?  I tend to go for the earn peoples respect tactic, that way the smiles are earned and tend to be genuine.

Yes, I understand. we all go for the strategies that give us the dopamine paycheck. Whether we understand that they are strategies or not is another matter, that requires a relatively  uncommon level of introspection.

Tea time! yay!

Edited by KiwiKiwi

8 minutes ago, bannork said:

I've seen my Thai nieces marry good guys, buy houses and cars together, and yet the family ( Issan) remains as close and loving as ever.  

Nothing broken there that I can see and I've known them for over 20 years.

Even the weediest tree sometimes produces a few wonderful apples. One swallow doth not a summer make.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

Hmmm. I think you don't think enough. Thanks for revealing that they're not real though, that passed me right by.

Is Eastenders not real either? Please don't shatter my world.
I'm a real Eastender E17 [emoji14]

17 minutes ago, bannork said:

If you had been anywhere near a state school you would understand.  For the majority, from kindergarten, they were made to suffer and to suffer in silence, they were made to sit perfectly still and silent for great lengths of time or if they did not they would be made to suffer a different pain anyway, in class they were punished if they asked for further explanation and it was refused and later when they fail they are punished again for not knowing what they wanted someone to teach them, children are not stupid, they know when they have no chance and removing their chance for a sufficient time breaks the child's spirit.

35 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

If you had been anywhere near a state school you would understand.  For the majority, from kindergarten, they were made to suffer and to suffer in silence, they were made to sit perfectly still and silent for great lengths of time or if they did not they would be made to suffer a different pain anyway, in class they were punished if they asked for further explanation and it was refused and later when they fail they are punished again for not knowing what they wanted someone to teach them, children are not stupid, they know when they have no chance and removing their chance for a sufficient time breaks the child's spirit.

I did spend time at a state grammar school, and I recognise the approach to teaching that prevailed at that time. I was fortunate, many were not. Though not bearing the scars personally, I have treated a good many people who do have them, arising from one source or another.  Sometimes it is not a very nice world, and what we are taught, whilst often useful, is many times inadequate. I particularly lament that the techniques of raising children is not required training. for adolescents. I would have benefitted, but I am straying off-topic.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

I have taught in a Thai school for over 20 years. It runs from kindergarten year 1 to Mattayom year 6. It is true that some of the teachers are strict old style chalk and talk but many others make the lessons interesting and fun. A lot of Thai kids love school, as the motto goes, it's their second home, sometimes it's their first.

Edited by bannork

20 hours ago, Get Real said:

Rule number one! If you can´t do it yourself, then don´t complain about other peoples performance.

Why not......? 

If one is paying and the service is substandard one has a right to complain, and some of the things I complain of in Pattaya, I certainly do not want  to do myself, else I wouldn't go into town! 

That photo-taking for the Chinese tour groups is quite the money spinning treadmill, super memento, a photo cling filmed into a Styrofoam food tray!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That photo-taking for the Chinese tour groups is quite the money spinning treadmill, super memento, a photo cling filmed into a Styrofoam food tray!

The girls trussed up in traditional costume don't see a satang of this cash bonanza. Comments analysing genuine smiles here are a bit ridiculous - showbiz has been producing on cue smiles for centuries. Any attempt to maintain a permanent wide smile would likely bring about serious tension and a rictus grin, not dissimilar to the recent government mascots or the joker in Batman. The girls were just told to smile for the photo, and they did their job fine - this kind of perfunctory smile is seen all over the world, and gives the facial muscles a chance to relax before the next snapshot. 

A post against forum rules has been removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 1