Best way to get Vietnam visa for a US citizen?

i've done both.  i did the online visa about 5 yrs ago, not sure if the process has changed since then.  when i did it, i had to go to a window at the SGN airport and give them my passport so they could put the visa sticker in there.  there were alot of people doing the same thing.  it took about 30 minutes for me to get it back.  i live near asoke /sukhumvit and find it easier to go to the embassy/consulate on wireless rd.  the office is not crowded at all.  easy to get in/out in less than 15 minutes.  if you aren't close by an embassy/consulate, better to do the online visa.

• Like 1

For the 1 month visa get the e-visa

For the 3 month visa , if you're flying in get VOA, much cheaper than the visa from embassy in Bangkok.

If you happen to travel through Cambodia, get it there:much cheaper there than anywhere else.

Actually I am curious to know how much the Vietnamese embassy in Bangkok charges for the 3 month single entry:I live in Vietnam now but still regularly travel to Thailand.

the above is a good summary and same process i went through about 5 yrs ago.  the issue i had was with:

32 minutes ago, scorecard said:

- But it's always possible when you get off your flight and go the 'Visa on Arrival' counter there are several hundred people in the line to hand in their documents (people just arrived on other flights), but handing in all your documents is quite fast and they process everything to produce the actual sticker fairly quickly.

i live in bkk and am in the vicinity of the vietnamese consulate often running various errands on the skytrain.  it doesn't take much time to stop by the consulate to get the visa there.  i'm sure the e-visa is the best for most people but perhaps not for those based in bangkok somewhat near the consulate.

1 minute ago, buick said:

the above is a good summary and same process i went through about 5 yrs ago.  the issue i had was with:

i live in bkk and am in the vicinity of the vietnamese consulate often running various errands on the skytrain.  it doesn't take much time to stop by the consulate to get the visa there.  i'm sure the e-visa is the best for most people but perhaps not for those based in bangkok somewhat near the consulate.

Agree.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Totally easy, in steps:

- Google Vietnam Visa and you will see many 'visa agents' (there are travel agencies, not the actual immigration authority) , they are all the same deal, fill in the application form on-line (totally easy, very little information needed) and pay on-line (usually US$18 - sometimes it goes down to US$15). This fee is for the agency to get you an approval.

- Within usually 24 to 48 hours the agent will send you an official letter from the actual immigration people to say your visa is approved. Normally this letter is a cover page, then 1 or 2 pages with a list of many people who have been approved for obtaining a visa, you name will be somewhere in the list.

NOTE: At this stage you have been given approval but an actual official Visa sticker is not yet issued.

The message from the agent will also include the full government issued Visa application form. Download and print this form and complete it, not difficult, basic info. and you will need 1 or 2  passport size photos.

When you arrive in Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi get off the flight and look for the signs saying 'visa on arrival' or similar words (this office is in the same major hall where the actual passport desks are located).

Head for the 'Visa on Arrival' counter and hand in:

- The visa approval letter (that the agent sent you).

- The full completed government visa application form and photos

- Your passport.

(don't offer the actual fee at this stage)

Note: Most of the Imm. staff speak OK to good English, normally quite polite.

After you hand in all your documents you sit nearby and wait. Waiting time:

- If no other arrivals are waiting to get their actual visa sticker into their passport the waiting time is normally 5 to 10 minutes.

- But it's always possible when you get off your flight and go the 'Visa on Arrival' counter there are several hundred people in the line to hand in their documents (people just arrived on other flights), but handing in all your documents is quite fast and they process everything to produce the actual sticker fairly quickly.

- When it's all processed you will be called back to the 'Visa on Arrival' counter to get your passport with the actual visa sticker inserted. The Imm. officer will now ask for the actual real visa fee (fee depends on country a bit, some countries it's free, the most expensive from my knowledge the fee is US$25.

You can pay in US$ cash or Vietnamese Dong in cash. Credit cards not accepted.

Now walk across to the actual passport lines and get your arrival stamp in your passport, many desks normally quite fast.

Now go downstairs and collect your luggage. Now go past the customs check point (normal lines "Items to Declare' and 'Nothing to declare'), sometimes they will wave you through, sometimes they will ask you to put all bags on the conveyor into the X ray machine. All very pleasant.

Now you'll see many bank currency exchange offices to change your money and get some Vietnamese Dong.

Now go outside and meet your friends / hotel rep. or whatever.

If you want a taxi then can I suggest you insist on VinaSun taxi in Ho Chi Minh City, and the green taxis with a big M logo in Hanoi, these  companies are very professional, you won't get ripped off. 

Good luck. 

You shoulda stopped typing at "Google Vietnam visa" 

I used the new (started mid-2017) Vietnam E-Visa when I went to Vietnam in April. It was easy, allowed me to go straight to immigration upon arrival and was done entirely online through the official Vietnam E-Visa website. Do not confuse E-Visa with VOA (visa on arrival) They are two very different processes. 

Be careful if you use Google because there are similar sites, but here is only one government approved E-Visa website. You fill out the form online, pay with a credit card, get an email with the Approval Letter than you print before departure (the airline will want to see it) and then get your visa stamp arrival at one of three Vietnam international airports - go straight to the immigration booths with stopping at the VOA desk. The processing time is 2 days and the cost is US$17:  https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

It was easy, allowed me to go straight to immigration upon arrival

17 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

go straight to the immigration booths with stopping at the VOA desk.

these two statements seem to conflict ?  (or my brain isn't working too well, which is very possible !!) do you have to stop and have a sticker placed in your passport before proceeding to immigration or not.  i think we are all talking about the E-Visa and just used the 'visa on arrival' term to describe the process where the actual visa sticker is placed in the passport.

19 hours ago, csabo said:

You shoulda stopped typing at "Google Vietnam visa" 

if you read the OP,  you'll see this:

On 5/10/2018 at 4:39 AM, jackspade said:

Anyone here done it and willing to shed some light on the process?

a member provided an answer to this question. 

20 minutes ago, buick said:

if you read the OP,  you'll see this:

a member provided an answer to this question. 

I posted a fully detailed step by step procedure yesterday post #9.

But I wasn't aware of another newer offering   https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt.   This looks to be easy and much quicker to go through the actual passport desk.  

In fact I fly from Thailand to HCMC tomorrow 17 May and I'm using the system that I explained in post #9.

I have to go again in August and I'll certainly try the newer system in   https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt

@DFPhuket  Thanks for the newer information.

• 2 weeks later...

You can do 30 or 60 day visa at the embassy in bkk.

drop off application and your passport and pick up next afternoon.

I just got 1 year multi-entry, on line application and pick up at airport.

used on line site found on google.

5 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

You can do 30 or 60 day visa at the embassy in bkk.

drop off application and your passport and pick up next afternoon.

I just got 1 year multi-entry, on line application and pick up at airport.

used on line site found on google.

Do you mean the arrival airport in VN?

On 5/15/2018 at 3:27 PM, scorecard said:

Now go outside and meet your friends / hotel rep. or whatever.

If you want a taxi then can I suggest you insist on VinaSun taxi in Ho Chi Minh City, and the green taxis with a big M logo in Hanoi, these  companies are very professional, you won't get ripped off. 

109 bus outside the airport doors, drives through the center of town to September 23rd Park bus station, 20,000dong (about $1), leaves every 20 minutes.

Busmap app on your phone, tracks all the buses in HCMC.

1 month internet SIM at the airport 200,000dong ($7) 

Hotels in HCMC are around 20% cheaper booked through Traveloka (and a discount voucher if you book a flight with VietJet) than they are at the hotel desk.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

109 bus outside the airport doors, drives through the center of town to September 23rd Park bus station, 20,000dong (about $1), leaves every 20 minutes.

Busmap app on your phone, tracks all the buses in HCMC.

1 month internet SIM at the airport 200,000dong ($7) 

Hotels in HCMC are around 20% cheaper booked through Traveloka (and a discount voucher if you book a flight with VietJet) than they are at the hotel desk.

Good advice I haven't booked a room at a hotel desk in 5 years. I always use Agoda. Probably similar to Traveloka.

On 5/15/2018 at 3:27 PM, scorecard said:

On my first day in HCMC, before I knew what prices were worth and was used to the currency, a guy on a motorbike charged me 150,000 dong to take me to a location 10 minutes away.  That's like 6.60 USD.  I'm sure he was laughing all the way to the bank, because later I found out the going rate was 14,000 dong (0.61 USD).  Oh well, live and learn.

Edited by jackspade

On 5/16/2018 at 12:50 PM, scorecard said:

I posted a fully detailed step by step procedure yesterday post #9.

But I wasn't aware of another newer offering   https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt.   This looks to be easy and much quicker to go through the actual passport desk.  

In fact I fly from Thailand to HCMC tomorrow 17 May and I'm using the system that I explained in post #9.

I have to go again in August and I'll certainly try the newer system in   https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt

@DFPhuket  Thanks for the newer information.

Just working on getting another visa to enter at Hanoi (from Bkk), hoping to use the newer on-line method. Would appreciate some information from those who have used the very new on-line application:

1.  Once approved on-line you land in VN and go straight to the actual passport line (no stopping at VOA office with approval letter to lodge full application form and get pay and get a sticker), and the actual passport officer puts something (sticker?) in your passport, all done. Is that correct?

2. I've been trying to complete the new new on-line application form, smartphone copy of passport page and then transfer to the application form works, but smartphone pic of head & shoulders photo only not accepted; file size too big and message says has to be jpeg.  Any suggestions on this much appreciated.

Thanks. 

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Just working on getting another visa to enter at Hanoi (from Bkk), hoping to use the newer on-line method. Would appreciate some information from those who have used the very new on-line application:

1.  Once approved on-line you land in VN and go straight to the actual passport line (no stopping at VOA office with approval letter to lodge full application form and get pay and get a sticker), and the actual passport officer puts something (sticker?) in your passport, all done. Is that correct?

2. I've been trying to complete the new new on-line application form, smartphone copy of passport page and then transfer to the application form works, but smartphone pic of head & shoulders photo only not accepted; file size too big and message says has to be jpeg.  Any suggestions on this much appreciated.

Thanks. 

Update:

Just about to lodge application for a visa to enter Hanoi (from Bkk), hoping to use the newer on-line method. Would appreciate some information from those who have used the very new on-line application:

1.  Once approved on-line you land in VN and go straight to the actual passport line (no stopping at VOA office with approval letter to lodge full application form and get pay and get a sticker), and the actual passport officer puts something (sticker?) in your passport, all done. Is that correct?

2. I've been trying to complete the new new on-line application form, smartphone copy of passport page and then transfer to the application form works, but smartphone pic of head & shoulders photo only not accepted; file size too big and message says has to be jpeg.  Any suggestions on this much appreciated.  Now fixed. 

with this new system, has it been confirmed that you go direct to the immigration officer stamping you in for entry and do not have to stop at a different window first to have the visa sticker placed in your passport ?  i see the item below on the link provided above.  it sounds like you don't have to stop at a separate window for the visa first, but first hand experience would be nice to hear.

2. If I use my e-Visa to enter/exit Vietnam, what do I have to do at the checkpoint?
E-Visa holders must present the printed e-Visa and valid passport at the checkpoint.