Khao Chee Chan councilman dies in crash

Rimmer

Khao Chee Chan councilman dies in crash

image.png

PATTAYA:--A member of the Khao Chee Chan council died when he slammed his car into the back of a garbage truck in Najomtien.

Apichart Yartcharoen, 49, died instantly when his Isuzu Dragon crashed into a trash truck during a heavy rainstorm May 1. Rescuers had to cut his body out of the mangled vehicle.

Truck driver Sanoh Wong­lakorn said he had just left a gas station and was in the right-turn lane to make a U-turn when Apichart, moving at high speed, rear-ended him.

Sanoh was taken in for questioning until police could determine who was at fault in the deadly crash.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-05-11

not saying this is the case but they take no notice of the right lane and filter arrow to turn right on second road Jomtien,  (and other places) they just use it as another lane to go barreling through at a great speed, i remember that horrific vid of the young nurse being hit from behind when waiting to turn right, i always get out of the  turn right lane, and position my bike into the junction a little way. 

• Like 1

My wife went to his funeral ,which she said was very well attended as he was a good guy helping her clean up the housing estate after the "Vamco" flood..
Apparently he was in his way back from a birthday party when the crash happened.

Garbage trucks are quite large and usually have yellow strobe lights on> Not easy to miss. If you know what i mean?

It was raining hard at the time,dark and they are doing roadworks in the area he maybe aqua-planed into it ?

u turns are a menace in this country....I have been all over the world and this place is the biggest u turn country....why not use mini roundabouts like there are in NEW TOWNS in the Uk??
Unfortunately roundabouts are not understood here...there is a lot could be done to make u turns a bit safer with better signs and lighting remove the trees from the ditch in the middle of the road in u-turn area for better visibility and have dedicated lanes for entry and exit...but yes still they are probably the most dangerous places.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Garbage trucks are quite large and usually have yellow strobe lights on> Not easy to miss. If you know what i mean?

Unless the GT did a rapid and unsafe lane change into the path of the victim's vehicle. These GTs are the bane of my soi as they park taking up half a lane to sort the garbage for hours on end during the night and early morning and leaving a smelly, slippery mess upon departure.

On 11/05/2018 at 10:56 AM, essox essox said:

u turns are a menace in this country....I have been all over the world and this place is the biggest u turn country....why not use mini roundabouts like there are in NEW TOWNS in the Uk??

"Yield to drivers in the roundabout"
"Do not stop in the roundabout"
https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Safety/roundabouts/default.htm

Feel free to check out at the Dolphin roundabout in North Pattaya Road how the Thais think about driving in a roundabout. "Me have big car, me go first."

On 5/11/2018 at 4:15 PM, essox essox said:

if he drove into the back of the truck then it is his fault....as is the case in most countries whether it be raining or sunshine...

In any other country, with road law abiding drivers, I would agree with you.

However, in Thailand, lots of drivers, especially trucks and bikes, will just cut across a main road to make a u-turn..

This maneuver will not involve either looking, indicating or anything else concerned with safety.

So, one second the road in front is clear and then you have a garbage truck on your lap !!

• Like 1