1763 Baht For A Letter From British Embassy

Murf

WOW is all i can say.

I have done a search on the forum but couldnt find a specific 100% answer.

I have heard that i can get a letter of residency from Imigration, i went there this morning and was told to goto my Embassy.

I was expecting about 800baht or so from the Embassy... i heard it was more expensive than imigration, but 1800baht... for a letter???

Can anyone clarify if i HAVE to get this letter, or can i goto imigration?

Would appreciate it if you could also tell me which counter i need to see at imigration, if indeed i can obtain a letter from there.

Thanks.

WOW is all i can say.

I have heard that i can get a letter of residency from Imigration, i went there this morning and was told to goto my Embassy.

I was expecting about 800baht or so from the Embassy... i heard it was more expensive than imigration, but 1800baht... for a letter???

Would appreciate it if you could also tell me which counter i need to see at imigration, if indeed i can obtain a letter from there.

Thanks.

I acquired my initial Thai drivers license two years ago at the office in Roi-et. I was told that I needed proof of residency and could obtain the letter from either the American embassy in Bangkok or at the immigration office in Nong Khai, the nearest immigration office to Roi-et. I drove a 4-hour round trip to Nong Khai and back and acquired my drivers license the following day. I don't remember the cost of the letter issue at the Nong Khai immigration office, however I do believe it was consideraby less than 1800 baht. I hope that this helps, good luck.

Pattaya Dave

I guess I could not afford to be a UK citizen. However, my embassy charges about 1,200 baht. Nah, I went to immigration and got it for free. Sometimes, 200 baht; depends what mood they're in. Yes, for a DL application - free, last year in Chiang Mai. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

What do i need to the tell imigration the letter if for?

Obviously telling them its for a DL is no good.

Glad i didnt part with the 1800baht now anyway... extortion :o

WOW is all i can say.

Thanks.

I acquired my initial Thai drivers license two years ago at the office in Roi-et. I was told that I needed proof of residency and could obtain the letter from either the American embassy in Bangkok or at the immigration office in Nong Khai, the nearest immigration office to Roi-et. I drove a 4-hour round trip to Nong Khai and back and acquired my drivers license the following day. I don't remember the cost of the letter issue at the Nong Khai immigration office, however I do believe it was consideraby less than 1800 baht. I hope that this helps, good luck.

Pattaya Dave

Well, you could tell them it's for buying a motor vehicle. You are planning to buy one sometime, of course. I think it's the same letter. Of course, you need evidence that you live there - a letter from your landlord or the lease contract. If you're living with Thai family, a letter from them with photo of their ID, maybe. Of course, dress smartly, take a breath mint before walking in, and have some chocolates to share with them whilst you wait amongst the labouring class. I'm feeling very chipper and Britter today. :o

Seriously, I gave the guy chocolates last time I did my 90 day registration, and I think he remembers me.

Er, it's 25 quid, standard consular fee set by the UK government (not locally by the embassy), same all over the world (that's why it's such a weird amount).

Anyway, somewhere on the board is a list of the hoops you need to jump through now to get the letter from BKK immigration, IIRC some officers won't issue it unless you're doing 90 day reporting :D

Going to get it at the embassy is EASY, you pay for the convenience, such is life :D

Well, you could tell them it's for buying a motor vehicle. You are planning to buy one sometime, of course. I think it's the same letter. Of course, you need evidence that you live there - a letter from your landlord or the lease contract. If you're living with Thai family, a letter from them with photo of their ID, maybe. Of course, dress smartly, take a breath mint before walking in, and have some chocolates to share with them whilst you wait amongst the labouring class. I'm feeling very chipper and Britter today. :o

Seriously, I gave the guy chocolates last time I did my 90 day registration, and I think he remembers me.

Again, thanks.

I will go tomorrow after work and ask for a letter.

I have recipts from my place from the last 6 or so month, so i would imagine they will suffice.

BTW... what chocies do you recommend??? :D

WOW is all i can say.

Thanks.

I am hoping to get a licence myself and I was going to use the TM47 form from Immigration which is used to report your address every ninety days, I don't know if it will cost anything but the embassy is a 'rip-off' considering they know nothing more about you than is recorded on your passport. How can the embassy possibly confirm your address? In the traffic law handbook it does not specify requirements for the ordinary licence for foreigners but does mention proof of abode for the International Licence and says either embassy or Immigration can give it. I am going to the Land Transport Office soon and will let you know how I get on.

Er, it's 25 quid, standard consular fee set by the UK government (not locally by the embassy), same all over the world (that's why it's such a weird amount).

Anyway, somewhere on the board is a list of the hoops you need to jump through now to get the letter from BKK immigration, IIRC some officers won't issue it unless you're doing 90 day reporting :D

Going to get it at the embassy is EASY, you pay for the convenience, such is life :D

Thanks for that, i am on a 90 day stamp at the moment. So hopefully... hopefully!!

Will do a search see if i can find the post you are talking about. :D

I am hoping to get a licence myself and I was going to use the TM47 form from Immigration which is used to report your address every ninety days, I don't know if it will cost anything but the embassy is a 'rip-off' considering they know nothing more about you than is recorded on your passport. How can the embassy possibly confirm your address? In the traffic law handbook it does not specify requirements for the ordinary licence for foreigners but does mention proof of abode for the International Licence and says either embassy or Immigration can give it. I am going to the Land Transport Office soon and will let you know how I get on.

My thoughts exactly on the Embassy knowing your address... I have the form and all you have to do is fill it in and hand over the money, doesnt look like any 'proof' is needed.

Let us know how you get on yes...

Thanks.

Can't find the thread now :o

But IIRC, if you have a Work Permit you don't need the embassy or immigration letter :D

I can confirm that in BKK if you hold a work permit then no need for the embassy or immigration letter. I got my licence last year and will be returning next month to renew and get my 5 year one :D

Thanks for that, i am on a 90 day stamp at the moment. So hopefully... hopefully!!

My thoughts exactly on the Embassy knowing your address... I have the form and all you have to do is fill it in and hand over the money, doesnt look like any 'proof' is needed.

Thanks.

I have just been to the office in Jatuchak and they gave me a printed form:

1. Passport and copy

2. present address certified by embassy OR Work permit and copy.

3. 2 photos 1 inch less than 6months old.

4.Medical Certificate(5 diseases form) not more than 1 month old.

5.International driving Licence 1949 or 1968. OR Local Driving Licence (translation to English or Thai Language certify from Embassy

You have option if you can not comply with step 5 of taking a test; Trainning 2 hours, reaction test, written test, driving test. Fee 105Bt for car 55 Bt for motorcycle. A very good deal obviously no dual pricing here!

In my case I shall have to go and tell the embassy where I live and pay them their money.

Thanks.

I have just been to the office in Jatuchak and they gave me a printed form:

1. Passport and copy

2. present address certified by embassy OR Work permit and copy.

3. 2 photos 1 inch less than 6months old.

4.Medical Certificate(5 diseases form) not more than 1 month old.

5.International driving Licence 1949 or 1968. OR Local Driving Licence (translation to English or Thai Language certify from Embassy

You have option if you can not comply with step 5 of taking a test; Trainning 2 hours, reaction test, written test, driving test. Fee 105Bt for car 55 Bt for motorcycle. A very good deal obviously no dual pricing here!

In my case I shall have to go and tell the embassy where I live and pay them their money.

I produced a valid British licence (car and full motorcycle) along with international driving permit and still had to take the reaction test, depth perception test, colour blindness test and peripheral vision test.

I got a letter from the UK embassy and agree that it's over priced for four lines.

Certificate of Residency is 200thb this covers purchase / selling of car / motorbike, drivers licence and a few other things i can't remember!

2 passport photos

Work permit and or proof of thai address

copy's of main and visa pages

passport

and the form can't remember the number

did this 3 weeks ago for buying a bike so the 'book' is in my name

Certificate of Residency is 200thb this covers purchase / selling of car / motorbike, drivers licence and a few other things i can't remember!

2 passport photos

Work permit and or proof of thai address

copy's of main and visa pages

passport

and the form can't remember the number

For the sake of completeness, please let us know which office issued this document, and what 'proof of address' is acceptable if no WP available (if you know).

As previously noted, if you have a WP you don't need to do this to get the Driving Licence :o

From Pattaya Immigration police office - My company office address as listed in my work permit was OK

I had to do this to purchase a motorbike from a friend so the book could be transfered into my name.

For the guy selling the bike the address in the owners book was proof enough of address for the immigration officer

Edited by Hssl

i get a residence certificate yesterday for free at phuket immigration in less than 10 minutes.

showing only my passeport ( i forget the copy they made it for me) with my non imm B ( i havent wp).

I get the feeling that with a touristic visa i would have get one as well.

And a copy of my lease and that's all. and 1 photography ( not 2 only one)

Very kind people

For those who does not have a work permit or those who insist on getting a free address verification letter, here's what you do:

1. Print out the following letter that I got 2 weeks ago from the immigration office.

post-19476-1170214875_thumb.jpg

2. Go to the immigration office on Soi Suanplu (Sathorn Tai 3).

3. Go to the second floor, take a left and find the 90-day report office on your right.

4. Show them the letter and your passport, and I am sure they know what you are up to.

The verification letter is free and it takes one week for them to prepare it. Oh, I think you have to be in their 90-day report database in order for them to grant you this letter. If you never file a 90-day report then it is very likely they are not going to do it for you.

Hope this helps.

I went to the Pattaya Immigration office Wednesday morning to obtain a residency certificate (letter) for purchase of a new truck. The application form is on the counter located to the far right in front of the seating. Take a number and complete the form as you wait your turn. The letter is typed up in room #9. You will be required to provide 2 passport photos, a copy of your passport, main page and visa pages and proof of thai address in my case as a retiree. I took the bluebook for mine and my wife's house with me as proof of address. I didn't ask what other forms of proof could be presented. I presented the application to the officer, she looked at the bluebook, handed it back to me and said for me to return in 30 minutes to receive the letter. The cost was 200 baht.

Pattaya Dave

Got a letter 2 years ago from the Consulate in C Mai cost 1500.

That 1763 looks like they are charging VAT @ 17.5 %

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office publishes the tariff for Consular services and it is posted in the Visa building downstairs, upstairs the conversion rate is posted as 75baht to the pound. I wonder why the FCO tariff is posted at all.

If you are going to be here long term and get on with your neighbours - Thai (this was done in Chiangmai, probably more difficult in Bangkok) get your own Thai family papers. (yellow for Farangs.)

Need to find the headman for the village. Go to the local Amphor with passport and copies of everything - marriage papers, Wifes family papers, copies of the passport etc etc ( Thai Style) arrange an interview where you turn up with the neighbour and the headman from the village. After a couple of hours they come out with the family paper book. I didn't have to go in. The wife did all the talking. Gave the headman a renumeration for his time. Also a handy man to know!

I can now use it as proof of residence. Worked for licence and renewal and a couple of other things. As all things in Thailand it will be different in each Amhor so check first.

All the embassies charge like wounded bulls for anything they do, things that the local postmaster would do for nothing back home, a great business if you can get into it.

A pain to get get but worth it in the long run.

Still have to do the 90 day immigration though.

Good luck!!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to drag this thread up again.

Update:

I have been to imigration 4 times now, and still no letter or success.

1st time i was told no way i had to goto the embassy

2nd time managed to get a ticket for counter 3 (90 day) - sorry you need to goto Embassy

3rd time i filled in a MT47???, i think... but after taking a look at my passport she said i couldnt file this form as i was not reporting my 90 days.and i hadn't been in Thailand for 90 days

4th time i took the recipts from my apartment for the last 6 months to prove i had been here longer then 90 days - still refused.

So..... it looks like i will have to goto the Embassy and pay 1800baht for this silly letter!!!

Thanks for all your help.

Murf,

I paid the 1753 bhat but i didn't go to the Embassy.

i registered online and printed out proff that i had done so. I then filled out a 'certificate of residency' document with my address on (no need to prove that this is address is my real address, just write it here and they believe you).

I then sent that all off to the embassy with a SAE. A postal order for 1753b + a the docs. This week, i got the certificate back and photocopied it quickly!

Expensive for sure, but i am glad I paid this and didn't have to venture into darkest Suan Plu immigration once... let alone 4 times! you brave bugger!

PM me and I can send you the online registration certificate and email details. that said, if you live near wireless road, might as well go there.

cheers

james

Hey mate, thanks for the offer.

I live quite near Immigration and the Embassy so its not a problem for me to goto either in person.

But thanks for the offer.

I will be finally going next week to sort it out.

I have the form filled in... i just need to file it and pay THE MONEY!

Its gunna kill me!