Is it an end of an era for the Western Expat?

Wish it was end of stupid questions so generalized its impossible to answer because there's thousands of individual circumstances that shape a thousand different and valid answers. Sheesh!

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 3:15 AM, Ulysses G. said:

To most Thai girls, white guys are white guys and they are all farang. They don't differentiate much more than that unless they have lived overseas.

Or have friends or family in one country! A whole village from Thailand move overseas when one first find a man from a rural backcountry place. 

• Like 2

Was first in Payam about around 01-02, good buddies with Richard from Oscar's by the pier in the village. Was back there in 2015 which was the first time since 07. The changes were huge. I think that island is on overkill in some ways. The thing that made it unique was the fact that there was nothing there, just the nature. You can't say that anymore. Back in the old days there was a lot of opium there courtesy of an established village source. I always said the place went downhill when the dope stopped.

On 5/12/2018 at 11:03 AM, Hummin said:

I used to live in Tonsai beach Ao Nang years ago, and that place is also not what it used to be. No place will stay the same, except Koh Phayam (almost)

Was first in Payam about around 01-02, good buddies with Richard from Oscar's by the pier in the village. Was back there in 2015 which was the first time since 07. The changes were huge. I think that island is on overkill in some ways. The thing that made it unique was the fact that there was nothing there, just the nature. You can't say that anymore. Back in the old days there was a lot of opium there courtesy of an established village source. I always said the place went downhill when the dope stopped.

On 5/12/2018 at 12:11 PM, Tony125 said:

They may not like them for a mate but they will sell them whatever they want.  I was in Jomtien buying a condo to rent out, 5--6 Chinese couples  came in to buy condo's as well. So I'm not going anywhere (I live in 3 bedroom home in  Chon Buri)  and I guess I will be selling or renting to the other Chinese that come over. Oh  a lot of them speak English. according to a survey there are more Chinese who speak English than the population of the US.

over 300 million chinese speak English???

On 5/12/2018 at 2:00 PM, pgrahmm said:

The west will always be represented here.....

Looking at the tourist numbers the interest seems to come from other places.....

Others + China represent about 60%.....Whoever "others" are it's not like a western landslide....

The biggest numbers are already on the board, the rest are individually insignificant....

We've/we're not/never have been as important as we imagine ourselves to be.....

IMG_20180512_175157.jpg

you can take the Malysians and the Laos out of those figures though. The Malays are just here for a quick shag and some booze on a weekend and the Laos come for working or shopping.

On 5/15/2018 at 3:40 PM, poanoi said:

i'm sure that condition exist also,

but the one and only condition i ever encountered is:

the daughter is expected to pay 3k monthly,

and parents dont want to hear any excuses about it, or how,

just give 3k and be quiet, or more if possible,

kids has the same function as a pension,

in more way than one actually.

both providing the cash, but also the idea of a sweet golden age

when money comes for free

So true...

The "twist" then becomes to lump the role of pension supplier on to the foreigner..

As if the daughter then can say "There I have done my bit-the golden age has arrived and we can all retire or stop pretending we have jobs,attending university,learning anything at school,etc.."

There was one lady in my village who would go to Pattaya for 6 months,accumulate the money and upon her return the entire family would indulge in a glorious booze-up and when the money ran out they just sent her back there again-pronto!

9 hours ago, bermondburi said:

over 300 million chinese speak English???

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/aug/19/jon-huntsman/jon-huntsman-says-more-english-speakers-china-unit/

___ Could be wrong as Hong Kong residents mostly have an understanding of English as a former  British colony, the rest of China not so much. They also still speak Portuguese in Macau.