Father speaks out after Australia's worst mass shooting for decades

webfact

Father speaks out after Australia's worst mass shooting for decades

By Alison Bevege

2018-05-13T074632Z_1_LYNXNPEE4C07K_RTROPTP_3_AUSTRALIA-KILLINGS.JPG

Police Commissioner Chris Dawson addresses the media in Perth, Australia, May 11, 2018. AAP/Rebecca Le May/via REUTERS

SYDNEY (Reuters) - The father of four murdered children spoke out on Sunday as details emerged of the mass shooting that killed three generations of the same family on a farm in the Margaret River wine-growing region in the country's rural south west.

The bodies of four young children along with three adults were found by police just after 6 am on Friday at the farm in Osmington, a tiny town of 135 people on the southwest tip of the state of Western Australia.

The tragedy is being treated as a murder-suicide and WA Police Commissioner Chris Dawson told a press conference on Saturday that they are not looking for any suspects.

Police have named the dead as property owner and grandfather Peter Miles, 61, his wife Cynda, 58, their daughter Katrina Miles, 35, and her four children Taye, 13, Rylan, 12, Ayre, 10, and Kadyn Cockman, 8.

The father of the children, Aaron Cockman, a local carpenter and builder, had been involved an acrimonious split with Katrina, which led her and the children to move in with her parents.

Cockman told a press conference on Sunday that he had been full of anger after Peter and Cynda Miles cut him off from seeing his children.

"The anger towards them now is completely gone. Completely gone. I don’t feel angry. I feel tremendous sadness for my kids," he said.

"I’m tremendously sad but I'll get through this."

Cockman said police had told him the children had died peacefully, with Kaydin in his mother's bed.

"All the kids died peacefully in their beds," he said.

Police seized three firearms from the scene on Friday, all "longarm" weapons licensed to Peter Miles.

Longarm weapons are shot from the shoulder, such as rifles or shotguns and are common on farms.

Police are still investigating the circumstances leading up to the worst mass shooting in Australia since the Port Arthur Massacre in 1996 when a gunman killed 35 people in Tasmania.

The coroner will investigate.

(Reporting by Alison Bevege; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-14
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Who killed them?

Granddad, or mom?

The Aussie police aren't saying much yet but from the dads statement I'm thinking maybe grandpa. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

A sad end to what was obviously a domestic dispute. sad that children do not get to grow up and choose their own paths. Their lives stolen from them by an Adults decision. Firearms are not the issue here. As people with such a mindset had many other weapons they could choose from. Firearms are just more impersonal.

Well the gun nuts won't get any traction here. All firearms were registered so there is no good gun, bad gun argument. In fact a lot of the shootings in Australia since Port Arthur have been with registered firearms.

Edited by starky
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, starky said:

It takes an extraordinary amount of heart to be that forgiving. RIP

Something just isn't right. I am not buying.

As for the description, that the children died "peacefully", I am going to say that this is BS. Murder victims do not die peacefully. I have a feeling the copper doesn't want to share the horrible details lest it cause a reaction.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, car720 said:

Like many people I have spent every day of my life trying to understand the thinking of others.  So far no luck.  Poor little kids.

Easy to understand.

Mom uses kids as weapon against dad, denying access, parental alienation, etc.

Kids get damaged or killed in the ensuing battle.

Happens all the time under the current western gynocracy.

This story is odd in that it doesn't look like dad killed the kids as an act of revenge after being denied access.

So who killed them and why?

Was mom such a head case that she was about to lose custody?

Seems unlikely these days as mom always gets custody no matter what she is, if she wants it.

In the end they'll probably find/decide dad killed them all then made it look like a murder/suicide.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

As for the description, that the children died "peacefully", I am going to say that this is BS. Murder victims do not die peacefully. I have a feeling the copper doesn't want to share the horrible details lest it cause a reaction.

Normally I never comment on investigations, but I agree something doesn't resonate correctly with the father, could be totally wrong...

Before the father got in front of the media, there were a number of media reports the mother had been complaining the father was stalking his ex-wife and children. The original statement of the children 'looking peaceful' originated from the person who discovered the murdered children (all of whom were autistic) and their mother inside their converted barn on the grandfather's property.

Edited by simple1

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Well I agree with that unless the weapon was suppressed the first shot would of woken everybody so definitely not dying peacefully in their sleep. In saying that there are very few details the children may have been drugged or killed in some other manner. I am sure in due course the police will release more details to the media.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, car720 said:

Like many people I have spent every day of my life trying to understand the thinking of others.  So far no luck.  Poor little kids.

There are few thinkers who are free from centuries of indoctrination.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, starky said:

Well the gun nuts won't get any traction here. All firearms were registered so there is no good gun, bad gun argument. In fact a lot of the shootings in Australia since Port Arthur have been with registered firearms.

Actually if we were to take your argument at face value, then it's the gun nuts who would get traction here. But since phrases like "a lot of the shootings" carry no useful information, it looks like the gun nuts will have to just keep on spinning their wheels.

Edited by bristolboy

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Actually if we were to take your argument at face value, then it's the gun nuts who would get traction here. But since phrases like "a lot of the shootings" carry no useful information, it looks like the gun nuts will have to just keep on spinning their wheels.

I would tend to suggest that the gun nuts argue that most crimes are committed by non registered guns in the hands of criminals which I don't believe to be true and people are killed by potentially just as many legally owned guns as illegally obtained ones. I deliberately didnt throw up any false flag figures to support my argument, unlike the gun nuts. So I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Thankfully most of the gun nuts couldn't find Australia with 2 hands a flashlight and an atlas so we won't see much of them in this topic.

At least they won't have to listen to the same lame excuses offered by the Americans. When you can't buy guns, these crimes cease and desist. When a few offenders get the death penalty, it makes a point.

8 minutes ago, starky said:

I would tend to suggest that the gun nuts argue that most crimes are committed by non registered guns in the hands of criminals which I don't believe to be true and people are killed by potentially just as many legally owned guns as illegally obtained ones. I deliberately didnt throw up any false flag figures to support my argument, unlike the gun nuts. So I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Thankfully most of the gun nuts couldn't find Australia with 2 hands a flashlight and an atlas so we won't see much of them in this topic.

First off, you start off with name calling. It doesn't give you much credibility. As for most crimes being committed with unregistered guns, I guess that depends on how hard it is to get hold of unregistered guns. Australia has done a damned good job of making them hard to get. It's no easy thing to get a registered handgun in Australia  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia which are what are mostly used by criminals

. So it's unlikely that most guns used to commit crime haven't been registered.  Whereas in the USA it's ridiculously easy to register a handgun. So a lot more of them are floating about.

And I've got news for you, regarding strong gun registration laws. The people of australia overwhelmingly support them.

"Essential Research repeated the poll a year later and found 6% thought the laws were too strong, 44% thought "about right" and 45% thought the laws were "not strong enough". It also found these views were consistent regardless of political party voting tendency for Labor, Coalition or Greens voters.[7][8][9]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia#cite_note-poll1-6

I guess 89% of Australians are "gun nuts". Somehow they managed to find the place.

9 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

First off, you start off with name calling. It doesn't give you much credibility. As for most crimes being committed with unregistered guns, I guess that depends on how hard it is to get hold of unregistered guns. Australia has done a damned good job of making them hard to get. It's no easy thing to get a registered handgun in Australia  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia which are what are mostly used by criminals

. So it's unlikely that most guns used to commit crime haven't been registered.  Whereas in the USA it's ridiculously easy to register a handgun. So a lot more of them are floating about.

And I've got news for you, regarding strong gun registration laws. The people of australia overwhelmingly support them.

"Essential Research repeated the poll a year later and found 6% thought the laws were too strong, 44% thought "about right" and 45% thought the laws were "not strong enough". It also found these views were consistent regardless of political party voting tendency for Labor, Coalition or Greens voters.[7][8][9]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Australia#cite_note-poll1-6

I guess 89% of Australians are "gun nuts". Somehow they managed to find the place.

They weren't killed by pistols they were killed by long arms so we can forget that argument. I currently hold valid class A C and H licenses in Australia been shooting and hunting since I could walk. I personally believe that Howard lied after port Arthur to tighten up the gun laws. The SLR was from a private collection and the AR was allegedly from the police lock up. The gun nuts I was to referring to generally are members of the NRA and live in the good old US of A so how about not taking things so personal and lightening up a bit eh mate. Haven't met many Aussie gun nuts to be honest. Did you even read where I posted that most gun nuts couldn't even find Australia?

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, starky said:

They weren't killed by pistols they were killed by long arms so we can forget that argument. I currently hold valid class A C and H licenses in Australia been shooting and hunting since I could walk. I personally believe that Howard lied after port Arthur to tighten up the gun laws. The SLR was from a private collection and the AR was allegedly from the police lock up. The gun nuts I was to referring to generally are members of the NRA and live in the good old US of A so how about not taking things so personal and lightening up a bit eh mate. Haven't met many Aussie gun nuts to be honest. Did you even read where I posted that most gun nuts couldn't even find Australia?

The problem is that you're confused so you generate confusion. The "gun nut" types you are referring to, NRA members, are generally First Amendment absolutists and don't want any kind of gun registration. To them it would be irrelevant whether a gun was registered or not.  During the cold war their motto was "Register Communists, Not Guns."

17 hours ago, simple1 said:

Normally I never comment on investigations, but I agree something doesn't resonate correctly with the father, could be totally wrong...

Before the father got in front of the media, there were a number of media reports the mother had been complaining the father was stalking his ex-wife and children. The original statement of the children 'looking peaceful' originated from the person who discovered the murdered children (all of whom were autistic) and their mother inside their converted barn on the grandfather's property.

I was wrong. Murderer, Grandfather, was found sitting on the porch, dead by gunshot,  with rifle between his legs. 

• Thanks 1