Why choose Chinese tourists over the traditional western tourists?

soistalker

Why eat at an All-You-Can-Eat buffet when you can dine at a 5-star restaurant or vice versa? 

Answer this question and you'll have the answer to your first question. 

Edited by connda

If I only came  here for a week or two or a few days like most of these Chinese tour groups.... I’d prob spend 10 x more..... no prob 20 x who knows. But overall the Chinese are spending more overall through the sheer numbers of em coming.  Yes there will be the odd comments about Iv seen Chinese spend a fortune on high end shopping blah blah blah . But generally the wealthy Chinese are not coming here, they are on holiday in London, Paris and New York. 

By by the way I have no links to back any of my comments up . It’s just my thinking ?

Edited by goldenbrwn1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, soistalker said:

Great stats.  I guess I was wrong (If the figures are correct, not inflated). But i never spent even close to $140 a day before I was an owner here . Do you guys?

I dont spend that living here but as a 2 week tourist I spent that before lunch, lol

I read a great article (tried to find it to post a link) that said at one end of the spectrum its Chinese that spend big but only stay 2 weeks, at the other end there are Europeans/Scandinavians that stay 2-3 months but have a low daily spend. The perfect tourists, as far as TAT are concerned, are Australians who stay a 1-2 months and still have a high daily spend.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

Why eat at an All-You-Can-Eat buffet when you can dine at a 5-star restaurant or vice versa? 

Answer this question and you'll have the answer to your first question. 

The Chinese and All You Can Eat buffets are certainly not compatible. :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

What draconian visa rules are stopping Western visitors?   

You mean you don't know?? I bet you are not under 50 years old, or have never been here except on an exempt.

Edited by possum1931
  • Confused 1

Ive been on one Of the China tours (was married to Chinese) Thailand/China have made It fairly easy for Chinese to visit Thailand. 

In general other countries a more of a proces. Chinese do like to 

buy a lot of local things to give as gifts and boast their travel abroad. 

Most do have habits like setting and making messes. 

While I certainly don't enjoy the ongoing Chinese "invasion", I must admit that it may not be a bad deal for Thailand.

First, China is a close neighbor, and soon the hordes will be able to come by train.

Such a proximity already saves them a thousand dollars compared to what Westerners have to pay just to reach Thailand.

That's a thousand dollars that can be spent in Thailand rather than paid to United or British Airways.

Then, economic prospects are far better for China than for the West, especially Europe with its euro under respiratory assistance (thank you doctor Draghi).

On top of that, China is set to invest huge sums in the region in order to complete its Belt and Road Initiative...the high speed train being one of them.

Unfortunately, for us Westerners, the future may be in Morocco and countries within easy reach and an even worse economy than ours...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, soistalker said:

If I come here for two months, I'll spend about $4000. That's on the low end of what most guys spend. How much do you think a Chinese tourist will pay for a two week trip not including airfare?

If you have an opinion, state it. Don't just be dull.

I will ( excluding air fare ) spend approx £3000 on a months trip , £5000 on my last 2 month stay . The average 4 -7 day Chinese zero tour guy will be spending a fraction of that and they constitute a large percentage of the increased footfall.

In addition the repeat /long term visitors have often previously done the ' tourist trail ' and do not contribute to the mayhem now apparent at certain beaches and sites.

6 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Don't make me laugh.

There are Chinese and Chinese. Some well educated and wealthy, others, newly prosperous and less educated. They will behave differently. However, as a whole they behave better than Western tourists. Considering the numbers. They dress decently, they don't get into fights and brawls like Western tourists. They don't come here for sex like Western tourists. As far as spending money. I think they spend more than Western tourists, many of whom stay in very cheap guesthouses

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gamini said:

There are Chinese and Chinese. Some well educated and wealthy, others, newly prosperous and less educated. They will behave differently. However, as a whole they behave better than Western tourists. Considering the numbers. They dress decently, they don't get into fights and brawls like Western tourists. They don't come here for sex like Western tourists. As far as spending money. I think they spend more than Western tourists, many of whom stay in very cheap guesthouses

Fair enough, but i never heard yet of hordes of Chinese going to bars and splash the cash on the ladies :whistling:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I can show you evidence that its actually the opposite, Chinese have the highest daily spend but tend not to stay a long time. Its one of those barstool myths that Chinese dont spend

image.png.b4faca698fc8531c2d44714f65771bf1.png

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism-income-Thailand.asp

It would be useful to have these numbers cross referenced with length of stay. My experience is that the average European would stay 2 -3 weeks on vacation , if the average Chinese tourist stays as long then obviously they are more valuable.

• Like 2