Beaches in crisis: Bang Saray - a black, stinking mess; all marine life dead.

snoop1130

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, smedly said:

and the Marine Protection Dept want to fine a smoker 100,000baht and put them in Jail for a year for smoking on an open air beach

.... perhaps the reason for the ban on smoking on beaches is to avoid explosions ? This black stuff on Bangsaray beach does look highly flammable ... :biggrin:

THIS IS TOTAL BULLSHIT.

I live 200m from the sea in bang saray.. Pretty sure I'd be able to smell anything bad?
Been and looked all around and there's nothing... Nil!! 
Saw people in the sea yesterday and this morning. Been and looked at low tide and nothing? Ask around and nobody's seen or smelt anything?
Somebody needs to check some facts before sensationalising a story.....
Pic this morning... 
PC_20180515_074600_hdr.thumb.jpg.214c4ef3e993e459527ed1894fd26d17.jpg
PC_20180515_074608_hdr.thumb.jpg.b38fcd354f7780312af2bb982e49e7d4.jpg
PC_20180515_075921_hdr.thumb.jpg.52f72036a011a60c78e834c93676d732.jpg

Looks great.

Just DON’T put your head under the water!!!

Typical BS among the Thai and how they love nature...bus ride from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai,Thais throwing their garbage out the window...I walk into the mall in Chiang Mai and there sits a couple of Green Peace officers with their booth and I confront them about March and April issue and of course I get the usual death stare...I say " Green Peace does not work in Thailand".Get use to it or leave...I live in Bang Saray. Ummmmm.

Let Thais be Thais.   This, like the engrained corruption will take generations to "solve".   Protect yourself, the rule of "only invest what you can afford to lose in Thailand", includes your health.

7 hours ago, mok199 said:

Thailands abuse of its once prestine beaches and enviorment is nothing less than a crime...shameless thailand

This is a crime among a million other crimes, perpetrated by inept/corrupt officials who take a large salary for doing "sweet F.A" 

Who are never held accountable for their in-actions!!!!!

I first visited Thailand in 1989,Lamai beach on Samui was then a few thatched hut type resorts,the water was crystal clear,i went back 2 years ago,it's a city now,the water was so cloudy you could not see your feet if you stood in it,same with Koh Chang,rampant overdevelopment with out the infastructure to support it,mostly due to corruption and incompetance.

6 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

I first visited Thailand in 1989,Lamai beach on Samui was then a few thatched hut type resorts,the water was crystal clear,i went back 2 years ago,it's a city now,the water was so cloudy you could not see your feet if you stood in it,same with Koh Chang,rampant overdevelopment with out the infastructure to support it,mostly due to corruption and incompetance.

Its a combination of causes, it is not only local pollution caused by island development, although obviously that has not helped, but its also what is happening on the Mekong and further afield in the South China Sea, a lot of pollution makes its way into the gulf and stays there. 

2 hours ago, MROLL320 said:

THIS IS TOTAL BULLSHIT.

I live 200m from the sea in bang saray.. Pretty sure I'd be able to smell anything bad?

Been and looked all around and there's nothing... Nil!! 

Saw people in the sea yesterday and this morning. Been and looked at low tide and nothing? Ask around and nobody's seen or smelt anything?

Somebody needs to check some facts before sensationalising a story.....

Pic this morning... 

PC_20180515_074600_hdr.jpg

PC_20180515_074608_hdr.jpg

PC_20180515_075921_hdr.jpg

If it was caused by what I suspect, from rain stirring up sediment, then it would clear quickly.

5 hours ago, surfdog said:

recently on Ao Nang Beach, Krabi, if you walk to one end of the beach near the trail to the Centara, there is a steady river of jet black sludge going out to the ocean.  

I smelled that before I saw it.  Very sad to see such a beautiful natural place destroyed.  I also noted that the tidal currents pull that crap all along the beach towards town so everyone along the beach is bathing in it.  Judging by the amount of development upstream I would guess next season will be their last.

If some enterprising uni students run e-coli tests there the economic fallout will be extreme.

Ao Nang businesses have a choice.  Either get together to form a sanitation district and fix it themselves - since the government is incapable - or slowly go bankrupt.

13 hours ago, smedly said:

and the Marine Protection Dept want to fine a smoker 100,000baht and put them in Jail for a year for smoking on an open air beach and correctly using an ashtray 

What will happen to whoever is responsible for this ?  must be at least 20years in Jail and a fine of at least 10 million baht, the damage to the environment and marine life is horrendous  

If you light up there, it might explode!

Went there twice over Christmas and new year, total disaster had to wait about 4 hours for a slick of shit to float by coming from the Pattaya direction, then the water stayed murky all day. I’m afraid Thailand and its beaches are like the garbage washed up.

9 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

The Falangs did it.

Thailand needs a tough crack down,  on Falang tourist scum.

Tarnishing the pristine beaches of Thailand,  cared for by local Thai people and industry. :bah:

Hehehehe, careful- they don't need any excuses do blame Falang

Haven't swum in the sea off Thailand since contracting a bacterial infection twenty years ago near Baan Krut, which took a course of heavy-duty antibiotics to cure. Sea pollution has increased exponentially since then all around the coast, and in addition your guts are now in danger of becoming clogged with nanoparticles of indigestible plastic waste suspended in oceans around the globe.

Stick to the pool.

3 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Haven't swum in the sea off Thailand since contracting a bacterial infection twenty years ago near Baan Krut, which took a course of heavy-duty antibiotics to cure. Sea pollution has increased exponentially since then all around the coast, and in addition your guts are now in danger of becoming clogged with nanoparticles of indigestible plastic waste suspended in oceans around the globe.

Stick to the pool.

in addition your guts are now in danger of becoming clogged with nanoparticles of indigestible plastic waste

As I am not a filter feeder I doubt I will become clogged with anything found in the sea.

Ok reasons for this problem

1 Farangs .....................no ( but possibly yes, no farangs no hotels no sewage ) 

2, Un-treated waste from Businesses and shops and hotels ...possibly

3 Bad infrastructure, badly maintained and not up to the job..certainly , whose fault ...........local government and utilities

What to do about it, .....nothing except say goodbye to tourists.  

14 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Now what could be possibly be behind this new ecological disaster on Thai beaches ?

No doubt we'll hear that it caused by evil foreigners, farang smokers, and especially Chinese tourists. 

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Daily News reported that the popular sandy beach was a disaster zone on Monday following run off from heavy rains in the area.

I am sure it not the rain cause this disaster 

It's Thai people in decades with their don't care attitude 

Just came back from Bang Saray, and the water was filthy black. Just one Thai family, maybe they were from Ubon. If someone cant see that shit in the water, then they are blind or full of BS! Even up to Ban Ampor it was dirty. Actually Bang Saray has never been great. I lived there 35 years ago, and when the tide was out, you could see all the garbage that the restaurants dump in the sea, and it smelled bad. Further up the beach, you cant walk, without getting stuck in the mud, or cut your feet on the M150 bottles. 

Archived