Beaches in crisis: Bang Saray - a black, stinking mess; all marine life dead.

snoop1130

It's a disgrace and any government and local authority should hang their heads in shame !!   protection of the marine environment just does not seem to be on the agenda . Maybe it will when the tourists disappear along with their bucks!  Living here adjacent to the Canal/Klong in Na Jomtien , it seems everyone dumps their rubbish including vessels which have just been abandoned ( right behind the Police Station) and their is a steady stream of black effluent flowing into the Canal .    This was once a high class developed marina environment - now reduced to a dump and no authority takes any interest to protect or prosecute offenders .   The marine department is supposed overlook the responsibility for wrecks and the marine environment ???    As dedicated  yachtsman and ex master mariner I can only reel in shock at the lack of policing the marine environment .  

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jen65 said:

This was once a high class developed marina environment   As dedicated  yachtsman and ex master mariner I can only reel in shock at the lack of policing the marine environment .  

OMG high class??

Where in the world have you been?

12 hours ago, surfdog said:

recently on Ao Nang Beach, Krabi, if you walk to one end of the beach near the trail to the Centara, there is a steady river of jet black sludge going out to the ocean.  

Saw same on Koh Samet a few years back. Surely been flowing steady since. Awful. :post-4641-1156693976:

11 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

S#it flows downhill, and it does not recognize borders. The lack of an EPA equivalent is cause for concern:

" The Origins of EPA

We celebrate EPA's "birthday" every December 2. What actually happened on December 2, 1970?

A. President Nixon signed Reorganization Plan No. 3 calling for the establishment of an Environmental Protection Agency.

B. The U.S. Senate confirmed William Ruckelshaus as EPA's first Administrator.

C. Administrator Ruckelshaus signed EPA Order 1110.2 creating the initial organization of EPA.

Related Information

The American conversation about protecting the environment began in the 1960s.  Rachel Carson had published her attack on the indiscriminate use of pesticides, Silent Spring, in 1962.  Concern about air and water pollution had spread in the wake of disasters: an offshore oil rig in California fouled beaches with millions of gallons of spilled oil. The Cuyahoga River near Cleveland, Ohio, choking with chemical contaminants, had spontaneously burst into flames.  Astronauts had begun photographing the Earth from space, heightening awareness that the Earth’s resources are finite."

And now Trump and his admin begin unwinding it all. Truly alarming environmental sabotage at the highest level. Read through the list in the article below. Wants to turn back the clock and be more like Thailand! :sad:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/how-trump-is-changing-science-environment/

14 hours ago, MROLL320 said:

THIS IS TOTAL BULLSHIT.

I live 200m from the sea in bang saray.. Pretty sure I'd be able to smell anything bad?

Been and looked all around and there's nothing... Nil!! 

Saw people in the sea yesterday and this morning. Been and looked at low tide and nothing? Ask around and nobody's seen or smelt anything?

Somebody needs to check some facts before sensationalising a story.....

Pic this morning... 

PC_20180515_074600_hdr.jpg

PC_20180515_074608_hdr.jpg

PC_20180515_075921_hdr.jpg

Bang Saray was on my target list 2 years ago when I was actively looking for 'somthing different'  but I hooked up with the wrong agent who (foreigner) took me around and only proposed prices like 5 million, 6 million, 8 million .......... I thanked him - left and bought  place in JomTien for 1.2 million.  I still like Bang Saray area and will keep my eyes open,  any suggestions??

Thailand has some serious environmental issues, and if they do not take care of them Thailand will be last on the list of places to go for a holiday !

Years ago I had a beach house down that way, and I could literally run across the living room and dive out of the window into clean clear water. So sad !

18 hours ago, just bob said:

I smelled that before I saw it.  Very sad to see such a beautiful natural place destroyed.  I also noted that the tidal currents pull that crap all along the beach towards town so everyone along the beach is bathing in it.  Judging by the amount of development upstream I would guess next season will be their last.

If some enterprising uni students run e-coli tests there the economic fallout will be extreme.

Ao Nang businesses have a choice.  Either get together to form a sanitation district and fix it themselves - since the government is incapable - or slowly go bankrupt.

They are in a much better position to fix it then Pattaya, because it is a open sewer deep canal.  All they need to do is aerate it and bring in some pollution absorbing water plans, even Lotus can be used for this if planted on shallower banks.  Really the only problem is oxygen at the moment, if in fact they aerate it bacteria and algae will begin to grow.  The algae can be controlled with tilapia, and the fish waste can be consumed by the plants.  Within a year it could be fixed, but with the amount of sludge they will need diffused oxygen delivered to the bottom in high amounts to kickstart it.  Later on the diffused oxygen delivery systems could be moved to other areas after the system as balanced out.  

After the water has started to balance, it could be pumped out to a gray water reservoir for farmers in the region.

4 minutes ago, surfdog said:

They are in a much better position to fix it then Pattaya, because it is a open sewer deep canal.  All they need to do is aerate it and bring in some pollution absorbing water plans, even Lotus can be used for this if planted on shallower banks.  Really the only problem is oxygen at the moment, if in fact they aerate it bacteria and algae will begin to grow.  The algae can be controlled with tilapia, and the fish waste can be consumed by the plants.  Within a year it could be fixed, but with the amount of sludge they will need diffused oxygen delivered to the bottom in high amounts to kickstart it.  Later on the diffused oxygen delivery systems could be moved to other areas after the system as balanced out.  

After the water has started to balance, it could be pumped out to a gray water reservoir for farmers in the region.

If it was just sewerage then that would work fine, but what about all the chemicals that will be in there from cleaning products?

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

If it was just sewerage then that would work fine, but what about all the chemicals that will be in there from cleaning products?

Bleach breaks down into salt, less of a problem since draining to the ocean, and the tilapia will survive in brackish water, other soaps break down into phosphates  plants love.  Lotus and Water lilies are shown to absorb heavy metals and other pollutants like oil and gasoline.

The reason why there is black sludge is because because there is not enough oxygen.

2 hours ago, surfdog said:

Bleach breaks down into salt, less of a problem since draining to the ocean, and the tilapia will survive in brackish water, other soaps break down into phosphates  plants love.  Lotus and Water lilies are shown to absorb heavy metals and other pollutants like oil and gasoline.

The reason why there is black sludge is because because there is not enough oxygen.

You make it sound like any amount of phosphate is a good thing when the reality is that phosphates from soaps speed up eutrophication and can kill entire ecosystems.

On 5/15/2018 at 1:23 PM, shackleton said:

I am surprised there is no Farangs or Tourists cleaning this area up

They should be talking to the local authorities to supply them with the tools to do the job

They'd be scuppered by the work permit rules 

Archived