Video: Motorcycle rider dead but his friend has remarkable escape

webfact

Yet again it is utterly impossible to understand the mind of a Thai. The deceased totally ignored the lorry coming along the main road. Didn't even look. How many times have we seen someone driving like that. All day every day. Sometimes they get what they deserve for such stupidity.

• Like 1

Wrong or right...

The motorbike driver obviously DID NOT LOOK to see if it was SAFE to cross the road. He paid for it with his own life and luckily spared his mate.

Road-signs and traffic lights have ZERO meaning in Thailand. 

But if you stop LOOKING you're assured to fail.

It seems to me to be a case of Not properly yielding. However I suppose most vehicular deaths in Thailand are because of motorcycle accidents? It is tragic, I parked our scooter a number of years ago, to dangerous in Bangkok! God be with them! 

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

That seems a bit harsh, unless it can be shown he was traveling at excessive speed. Nothing could stop in the time available, and you have to say the accident was caused by the person riding the bike, who sadly has lost his life. His mate is one very lucky person though, that was literally a fraction of a second from a double tragedy.

..the truck was really moving..looks like the deceased driver thought he may have had time seeing it was a truck, to get across, sadly not the case..one lucky pillion passenger..another nano-second and he would have been in trouble..IMHO.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tandor said:

..the truck was really moving..looks like the deceased driver thought he may have had time seeing it was a truck, to get across, sadly not the case..one lucky pillion passenger..another nano-second and he would have been in trouble..IMHO.

You could make an estimate of the speed the truck was moving at (approx. 4x its length in 2 seconds, so around 25m/s or 90km/hr)...although it does look to be quicker than that. But it would not be difficult to make a better estimate by actually measuring the road.   So even though a speeding driver "could" be considered partly to blame, the onus is clearly on the rider to stop - if he'd actually looked first.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If there are no indications of right of way at a junction, a vehicle must give way to the vehicle to the left.

What utter rubbish. Do you have many accidents? In countries that drive on the left you must always give way to traffic from the right. If it's a right hand drive country then you always give way to left. Always has been and always will be.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trianglechoke said:

No troll

...real question.

How didn't he see the truck? 

Simple answer: Because he didn't look. Just like every time you go on the roads here you see motorcycle drivers pull out of side roads without looking.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

OP: ``Many said pillion passenger net[sic], 52, must have made some serious merit.``

This says it all to me and explains a lot of the road carnage. Superstition/Buddhism trumps safety, traffic laws, physical laws...even the notion of luck. He made a serious mistake getting onto a motorbike with that, now deceased (RIP), operator.

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You have to agree, he was moving, and I agree the rider is at fault, but you would expect people to slow down when approaching an intersection, and the reason for that is the obvious, to be able to stop faster, then the speed he was travelling.

If you slowed down for every dodgy intersection here you would never get anywhere. Dick on the bike at fault ,truck may been traveling fast but it s bigger enough to see

I would think that a sense of self preservation would be enough to make one look before blindly riding through an intersection, on what looks to me like a main road. Sometimes i wonder what goes on in their heads. RIP

• Like 1

Section 71 of the Thailand Land Traffic Act 2522BE (1979)

If, when entering a junction there are other vehicles, the driver must let such vehicles go through first.

If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has the right of way, except when there's a designation of "principle roadway" in which case the vehicle on the principle roadway has right of way.

The motorbike rider failed to giveway to the vehicle on the principle roadway but he also failed to giveway to the vehicle on his left hand side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rally123 said:

What utter rubbish. Do you have many accidents? In countries that drive on the left you must always give way to traffic from the right. If it's a right hand drive country then you always give way to left. Always has been and always will be.

NOT in Thailand though, Ive read about this before, pretty sure he is correct, certainly at islands as  well, bizarre eh!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

This prat very nearly put the contents of his roof rack through my windscreen this afternoon!

image.png.9a4a88fefa9faf3f164ea7b47f8d9f70.png

Had a much better one than this  a  few  months  back, Phetkasem road u turning pick up with an  about 20 foot  scaffold pole along  it, a  good 9 feet hanging off the back, the pole was completely covering the outside lane with no warning flag on or anything, am staggered no car was cut in half or bike rider decapitated, very hard to see as a grey colour, I swerved to avoid it...unfreakinbelievable

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Many said pillion passenger net, 52, must have made some serious merit.

Would buying a full-face crash helmet and writing "Buddha" on it with a black marker count as making serious merit?

14 minutes ago, smtsetup said:

Would buying a full-face crash helmet and writing "Buddha" on it with a black marker count as making serious merit?

no, but it may go a long way to literally '"saving face"

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, leafmould said:

Of course it's the bike rider who was to blame but in thai law if there is a death (or even serious incident?) the other party is immediately arrested and imprisoned. And usually only bailed with large amount of bail money. Read insurance documents. They provide one or two million bail money but about 10000B payout per death. 5000B for loss of limb. Etc.  

Completely ridiculous application of the law. The motorcycle driver showed zero defensive driving skills. Stop sign or not, he was crossing a major road. 

Probably didn’t even look left, had he looked, the six wheeler would have been seen. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

If you slowed down for every dodgy intersection here you would never get anywhere. Dick on the bike at fault ,truck may been traveling fast but it s bigger enough to see

I will say by the likes, most agree with my comments.

If I counted how many times I slowed down and how many people's lives I spared through their own stupidity on a daily basis, you would laugh, but if I took your attitude there would be a lot more deaths on Thai roads.

Getting to my destination a little later has never bothered me as I am in Thailand, I go with Thai time.

Doesn't take much to slow down, if your willing and don't have a big ego.

Peace :passifier:

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, evadgib said:

This prat very nearly put the contents of his roof rack through my windscreen this afternoon!

image.png.9a4a88fefa9faf3f164ea7b47f8d9f70.png

Come on mate, this you have to expect daily here in Thailand......, nice shot though, brings things into perspective, toot and he would probably looked at you like a stunned mullet, no brains !

The grandmother who picked her grandchildren from the village school a few months back, came out of the gate which has high rendered brick walls either side, she came out on my left without stopping and to go straight ahead to the road opposite the school, she didn't look left or right, had I not slowed down always expecting the unexpected here in Thailand she and the grandchildren would be dead.

When she heard me lock it up on some lose gravel, she stopped dead in her tracks, staring at me with that oh sheet look, I am about to die, her stopping right there made it even more difficult as I had to turn my steering wheel so the car would veer to the left of her while sliding, it was millimetres.

Everyone was looking, my wife jumped out of the car and gave her a damn good serving, I understood nothing as it was in Thai, my wife is a calm person, has never lost it in 11 years that I have been with her, but I dare say it would have had something to do with the grandchildren's safety, the grandmother didn't respond, just rode of with her head down for all to see.

• Like 1

I am not going to apportion blame but how come the motorcycle driver not see that truck. Whoever has right of way if you see a large object such as that truck in your path you do something about it like slow down or stop

• Like 1