New international bus services set to make better connections between Thailand and Laos

webfact

New international bus services set to make better connections between Thailand and Laos

7pm.jpg

Picture: Manager online

Three new international bus services are set to make journeys between Thailand and Laos more convenient.

The first that is expected to start this year is between Udon Thani airport, Nong Khai and Vang Vieng in Laos.

The 288 km trip will be once daily taking seven hours and costing 320 baht. A double-decker air-con bus will be used.

The service comes as agreement has been reached between the Thai national bus company and airport authorities.

Two further services to connect Thailand and Laos are also in the pipeline - these will connect Ubon Ratchathani and Pakse in southern Laos and Nan in northern Thailand with the city of Luang Prabang.

No time-frame was given for these two services in the Manager story.

Source: Manager online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-16

It might be good for Laotians or Thais with a passport.

In the past it was impossible to buy a ticket for one of these buses, unless you could show a Laos visa in your passport. The bus wasn't prepared to wait at Laos immigration for passengers to apply for a visa-on-arrival.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It might be good for Laotians or Thais with a passport.

In the past it was impossible to buy a ticket for one of these buses, unless you could show a Laos visa in your passport. The bus wasn't prepared to wait at Laos immigration for passengers to apply for a visa-on-arrival.

Well, I guess getting a Visa before entering in Udon airport might be rather handy?

• Like 1

Maybe even more difficult to convince them that I don't need a visa for Laos.

Same for (some) Scandinavians now.

The real trouble is the d.... re-entry permit from Thai immigration.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I would highly recommend using these services and any inconvenience of getting the visa beforehand is far outweighed by the feeling of absolute relief not having to deal with any taxi Mafia either on the Thai side or the Lao side. 

32 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Well, I guess getting a Visa before entering in Udon airport might be rather handy?

Yes. I suppose a visa from the Laos embassy in Bangkok. Although the nearest Laos consulate is in Khon Kaen, that's not exactly practical in this case - if you've just flown in and want to visit Laos using the new bus service.

Also as someone has since posted, a re-entry permit for Thailand is a consideration if you are here permanently.

30 minutes ago, midas said:

I would highly recommend using these services and any inconvenience of getting the visa beforehand is far outweighed by the feeling of absolute relief not having to deal with any taxi Mafia either on the Thai side or the Lao side. 

I'm sorry you had hassle.

The last time (five years ago) we went in a taxi from the bridge into the centre of Vientiane. For two people I thought three-hundred Baht for twenty kilometres was quite reasonable.

4 hours ago, PatOngo said:

The trip from Nong Khai to Vang Vieng should be interesting as they drive on the right hand side in Laos, Thai drivers have enough difficulty staying in the left lane in Thailand.

They have even more difficulty simply staying on the road :coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm sorry you had hassle.

The last time (five years ago) we went in a taxi from the bridge into the centre of Vientiane. For two people I thought three-hundred Baht for twenty kilometres was quite reasonable.

For me I don't see the need to deal with taxi drivers in Thailand and Laos when you can board the bus (comfortable air-conditioned with assigned seat numbers ) in Udon Thani for just 50 baht and you are taken all the way to Vientiane bus station. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, midas said:

For me I don't see the need to deal with taxi drivers in Thailand and Laos when you can board the bus (comfortable air-conditioned with assigned seat numbers ) in Udon Thani for just 50 baht and you are taken all the way to Vientiane bus station. 

OK, fair enough.

That's not this one though for 50 Baht. Which one is that?

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

OK, fair enough.

That's not this one though for 50 Baht. Which one is that?

Yes it is or at least it looks identical to the one in the photograph above. They just call it the international bus which you get at Udon Thani bus station

Edited by midas

Just now, midas said:

Yes it is or at least it looks identical to the one in the photograph above. They just call it the international bus which you get at Udon Thani bus station

Oh right. I've never knew that was only 50 Baht though?

You still need a visa for that one as well, I take it. That was where I went a few years back, and they wouldn't sell me a ticket without seeing a Laos visa in my passport.

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Oh right. I've never knew that was only 50 Baht though?

You still need a visa for that one as well, I take it. That was where I went a few years back, and they wouldn't sell me a ticket without seeing a Laos visa in my passport.

Yes you need the Visa first but you can get that while you wait at the embassy in Bangkok. Yes I think 50 is good value for money

Edited by midas

Last time I did the trip a few years ago, there were two separate windows at the bus station in Udon with a sign:  "Visa Holders Only" for the Vientiane trip.

One window for people with a visa (or not needing one) that goes to Vientiane, and the bus to the border at Nong Khai for those without or just going across and back, both about 50 baht.There are mini buses too for the almost the same cost to the border.

When you get to the border there is a bus across the bridge and back for about 20 Baht each way.

Also there's a bus into Nong Khai town (if you can catch it) on the way back, or share a taxi.

This is not new at Nong Khai but might be at other crossings.

I prefer to stay off long distance buses here as it is extremely dangerous.

:wai:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

4 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I understand your concern, but am wondering if you have ever travelled on a Nakhonchai-air bus? I either use them or train for long distance travel here and am quite impressed by their professionalism.

21 hours ago, tokachinter said:

I understand your concern, but am wondering if you have ever travelled on a Nakhonchai-air bus? I either use them or train for long distance travel here and am quite impressed by their professionalism.

I have survived two VIP bus crashes, one in the north and one in the south.

The train is a good option, but the lack of a beer puts me off these days.

Fly if you can.

Last time I did the trip a few years ago, there were two separate windows at the bus station in Udon with a sign:  "Visa Holders Only" for the Vientiane trip.
One window for people with a visa (or not needing one) that goes to Vientiane, and the bus to the border at Nong Khai for those without or just going across and back, both about 50 baht.There are mini buses too for the almost the same cost to the border.
When you get to the border there is a bus across the bridge and back for about 20 Baht each way.
Also there's a bus into Nong Khai town (if you can catch it) on the way back, or share a taxi.
This is not new at Nong Khai but might be at other crossings.

I'm reasonably happy with the long distance buses which run on recognised routes like this, operating from the bus stations.

Now the minibuses are almost invariably overcrowded death traps with psychotic drivers...

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/18/2018 at 6:15 AM, JAG said:

I'm reasonably happy with the long distance buses which run on recognised routes like this, operating from the bus stations.

Now the minibuses are almost invariably overcrowded death traps with psychotic drivers...

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Unfortunately both my crashes were on regular buses on long distance routes.

Fly if you can is my advice.