Nearly 150,000 caught lane changing in first week - but not all will face fines

webfact

Nearly 150,000 caught lane changing in first week - but not all will face fines

9pm.jpg

video screenhot

A Thai Rath video on Facebook said that in the first seven days of the use of lane changing cameras in Bangkok there were a total of 149, 104 offenders.

But while not all will face fines some could face equally serious trouble.

The police told Thai Rath that they were looking at the licence plates, make and series of vehicle and color - if everything was as it should be according to registration details then fines would be issued.

But there would be a further investigation if, for example, the color of the car or the plate did not match the details. They could face fines on other matters.

What was described as "an intention to change lane" was also to be considered.

Banks of computers manned by cops were shown on the video that reported that the cameras where of high clarity and now installed at 15 locations.

Fines of up to 1,000 baht can be issued that would make such surveillance a money spinner for the authorities.

While the cops themselves are playing down the fine collection saying that they will help improve driving standards.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-16

Unless it's a fully automated system I can't see them 4 men printing and writing out 150,000 tickets a week as they look like they are doing in the video and especially at the speed they were working at.they reminded me of the local internet shop with lads all spread out playing with a mouse.

• Like 1

This is not an exact science, there are occasions when a lane change cannot be avoided and if done safely then it shouldn't be a problem, sometimes moving traffic or congestion prevents a lane change when you want to do it, also motorbikes are often somewhere in the middle.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Unless it's a fully automated system I can't see them 4 men printing and writing out 150,000 tickets a week as they look like they are doing in the video and especially at the speed they were working at.they reminded me of the local internet shop with lads all spread out playing with a mouse.

Must be an inactive post - sitting around doing very little.

• Like 1

It's probably going to cost as much as the fines in attempting to collect them. Whatever the threats, most Thais will ignore them, like they do to most legal requirements. Only way to ensure some fines is to road block them, that's if it doesn't cause a huge traffic jam. Can't see it working, IMO because of the high numbers of drivers transgressing the lanes..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

The simple fact that there never has been to my knowledge any attempt by any Government here, to advertise traffic Laws, advertise safe driving , or in fact advertise or puiblically attempt to educate drivers at all. When you see Senior Police being carried on Motorcycles NOT wearing Crash helmets you understand even the RTP do not know the laws or abide by them how the hell do they expect the public to do so. Pot calling the Kettle black springs to min d . 

in fact there was. i believe it was before the "return the happiness to thais" publicity stunt came on. there were billboards spread all over the streets in bangkok showing maneuvers that drivers are not supposed to make. a number of my colleagues got caught, that's why i remember. a month later, the police just stopped enforcing them. also, i found the seminar during license renewals at the DLT also clear and informative. it's just that most motorists here need to have things hammered into their heads just to remember something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, irwinfc said:

in fact there was. i believe it was before the "return the happiness to thais" publicity stunt came on. there were billboards spread all over the streets in bangkok showing maneuvers that drivers are not supposed to make. a number of my colleagues got caught, that's why i remember. a month later, the police just stopped enforcing them. also, i found the seminar during license renewals at the DLT also clear and informative. it's just that most motorists here need to have things hammered into their heads just to remember something.

Bangkok does not mean Thailand only 14 million people and also the last video I saw while renewing my licence was bad, incorrect and utterly useless. There are to my reckoning more than 55 odd million people outside Bangkok and they get bugger all information . Judging by Bangkoks  driving I doubt if drivers have time to read billboards . or possibly even see them . 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

But while not all will face fines some could face equally serious trouble.

"Hummm, this Mercedes belongs to RTP Detective Sonchai Jitpleecheep."
'Skip that one - no fine.'
"This Suzuki Swift belongs to a teacher from Nakhon Sawan."
'Yes, fine that one.'
"This Ferrari belongs to the son of a Thai CEO."

'Skip that one quick-quick - no fine.  Next?'
"This Honda Click......."
'Fine, fine, fine - next?'

Of course, things would never be this way in the LOS, eh?  :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

Bangkok does not mean Thailand only 14 million people and also the last video I saw while renewing my licence was bad, incorrect and utterly useless. There are to my reckoning more than 55 odd million people outside Bangkok and they get bugger all information . Judging by Bangkoks  driving I doubt if drivers have time to read billboards . or possibly even see them . 

"Bangkok does not mean Thailand" - the bangkok elite would disagree with you, but that's for another discussion.

you did say no attempts by the government at all. i didn't know you were referring to thailand as a whole, therefore, invalidating my information. the video i watched was from 2 years ago, so i don't know if we saw the same one. the video i saw was informative because it highlighted the official penalties for major offenses, speed limits for specific roads, etc. i agree there's a lot of room for improvement, but i wouldn't say it was totally useless.

16 minutes ago, connda said:

"Hummm, this Mercedes belongs to RTP Detective Sonchai Jitpleecheep."
'Skip that one - no fine.'
"This Suzuki Swift belongs to a teacher from Nakhon Sawan."
'Yes, fine that one.'
"This Ferrari belongs to the son of a Thai CEO."

'Skip that one quick-quick - no fine.  Next?'
"This Honda Click......."
'Fine, fine, fine - next?'

Of course, things would never be this way in the LOS, eh?  :thumbsup:

selective enforcement? NO! definitely not here!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, essox essox said:

PEOPLE...this being drivers DO HAVE to change lanes sometimes.

All this is really really stupid....

? but only stupid in Thailand, right? Because in other countries, which use road markings to direct/ control traffic, it seems to work, with fines for breaking of the laws, which these drivers are doing.

yes... drivers do have to change lanes. There’s nothing to stop them doing it within the framework of the law... encouraging doing it within the framework of the law, sounds like a good idea to me

opposing the enforcement, by any means, of the road law, on the worlds worst roads, seems rather stupid and irresponsible

• Like 1

18 hours ago, smedly said:

This is not an exact science, there are occasions when a lane change cannot be avoided and if done safely then it shouldn't be a problem, sometimes moving traffic or congestion prevents a lane change when you want to do it, also motorbikes are often somewhere in the middle.   

Fine em all... object in court, as you would back home, wherever that is.

4 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

The simple fact that there never has been to my knowledge any attempt by any Government here, to advertise traffic Laws, advertise safe driving , or in fact advertise or puiblically attempt to educate drivers at all. When you see Senior Police being carried on Motorcycles NOT wearing Crash helmets you understand even the RTP do not know the laws or abide by them how the hell do they expect the public to do so. Pot calling the Kettle black springs to min d . 

Paul, I take my hat off to you sir spot on.  eg.  yesterday I was coming back from home pro ubon.  A cop car passed me. Thought there goes a waste of petrol and money, 2 lanes either way on the road I was on the outside lane beside the lane where the motorbikes travel or are supposed to travel. Next minute I look there is a bloody car travelling in this motorbike lane effectively making it 3 lanes. Totally illegal. But worse of all he passed the cop car in this lane he was travelling. The cop did nothing. So I thought what chance have they got of ever improving the ways Thais drive when the police do nothing.

3 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Are we talking about the same images?

0a1e1aa330c9faffc9ec9d3cdbc0cb93.png

9pm.jpg.a5fdbf8ce599f7df8d1a7ae7979484f7.jpg

Could someone tell me what's wrong in the top image.  Looks like he's crossing a dotted line, not a solid one.  Is that illegal here?

1 hour ago, DefaultName said:

Could someone tell me what's wrong in the top image.  Looks like he's crossing a dotted line, not a solid one.  Is that illegal here?

Your eyesight - I can clearly see an unbroken line with a car straddling it.

6 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Are we talking about the same images?

0a1e1aa330c9faffc9ec9d3cdbc0cb93.png

9pm.jpg.a5fdbf8ce599f7df8d1a7ae7979484f7.jpg

For me the top picture the car is not breaking any road law as he has a broken white line which although close to the end of it, it is still broken where he is crossing. If it had been a car moving from right to left then that would have been crossing a solid line, so breaking the law.

The car in the bottom picture is breaking the law. 

2 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

It just shows Thai people can't drive and follow the rules 

Me first generation 

Be safe out there guys 

well, u got that right Henrick  Most Thais cant drive or have no clue how to drive safely and follow the road rules  Nor do the cops.

6 hours ago, DefaultName said:

That's not on the side the car is coming from.

Unbroken lines, beside solid lines, indicate when it is safe to overtake against oncoming traffic, not traffic traveling in the same direction

This is used typically as you approach a crest in a road, where you cannot see far enough ahead ( as the crest is obstructing the dead ground beyond) and you could end up in a head on collision

so.... anyone who goes on about it being ok to change lanes in this circumstance, needs to revisit their driving test notes

obviously the old unbroken lines were not removed, when a new unbroken line was applied, which is very sloppy workmanship, but typical of Thailand.

if in doubt, look further forward, and you will note that the lines merge into one unbroken line... and thinking thinking... that’s something else that you never see elsewhere

hope that helps ?