How do you like the local ‘dirty crockery shop’ ?

peterb17

5 hours ago, Aupee said:

PeterB

several years ago when I was a new expat,  a very long ago a friend took me to a "dirty crockery shop" in Pattaya the wife declares they are the best knives she has owned we also got some good quality crockery. I would like to go back for more but I don't  know where it is I just know it was on a main road in big and  rough building  like a huge shed. Any ideas that may help me find it. I live out in Prachin buri and do not know Pattaya very well . Help

I’m not sure- there is one on the motorway 7 - Pattaya to Bangkok .

Anyway if you are down here for a visit - as someone mentioned- the one behind the old BigC is worth exploring - think it’s called Central Marina Mall these days .

These places seem to spring up everywhere - similar sort of marchandise - sure there is not one near you - it’s not the same as the 20 baht places. 

But as many people in the  Kingdom you don’t have much money - they might have something you need .  

Good hunting 

8 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Magic knives? Or ones just sharpened before being sold. There is nothing particularly difficult about sharpening any knife. The 'magic' is finding ones made of quality steel that will retain its edge. The cheaper the steel the easier it is to put the edge on and faster to bend, roll, or wear away. Five minutes with a pair (or trio) of sharpening stones will restore any edge. Spend some money on a good knife and only do that 2-3 times a year. It's not magic.

Well I have a bit of knowledge about knives: in the olden days - we had carbon steel knives - actually used to get a good edge - the steel was so soft - you almost got a ragged edge . The trouble is they rusted  ( best way to clean - a cork, abrasive cleaner ( Vim) and lemon juice ) Sabatier - which is just a region in France .

With a dishwasher- nightmare.

So next stainless -at first such  a hard steel - just impossible to sharpen .

Then the big manufacturers- Wusthof etc - softened the steel - still not easy to keep razor sharp. Go to Central- Wusthof are very expensive . Still not easy to keep really sharp 

I would like to try the Japanese layered steel knives- I hear they are very good .

The knives from the crockery shops are so cheap - the steel is very soft and easily sharpened - you can slice through a sheet of paper floating in the air. 

The blades will wear out quite quickly - just buy another one . 

They are razor sharp . 

I’ve had a lot of knives, and here I think the best bang-for-the-buck are the 1-piece solid stainless Zebra brand. It is their top-line, and they are great for the money.

Sharpen the one I most once a month or so with a steel.

23 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

have loads of outdoor nik-nak stalls

More popularly known as knick-knack which, apparently, you can play on a drum while giving your dog a bone.

This old man, he played one,
He played knick-knack on my drum;
With a knick-knack paddywhack,
Give a dog a bone,
This old man came rolling home.

This old man, he played two,
He played knick-knack on my shoe;
With a knick-knack paddywhack,
Give a dog a bone,
This old man came rolling home.

noun: knick-knack
a small worthless object, especially a household ornament.
synonyms:    trinket, novelty, gewgaw, bibelot, ornament, trifle, bauble, gimcrack, curio, tchotchke

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

More popularly known as knick-knack which, apparently, you can play on a drum while giving your dog a bone.

noun: knick-knack
a small worthless object, especially a household ornament.
synonyms:    trinket, novelty, gewgaw, bibelot, ornament, trifle, bauble, gimcrack, curio, tchotchke

I can’t be bothered with the whole joke,  I’m sure you’ve heard it before:

but the punch line is:

The bank manager says to the teller

”It’s a nick-back, Patty Wack, give the frog a loan.

His Old man’s a Rolling Stone”

I can’t be bothered with the whole joke,  I’m sure you’ve heard it before:
but the punch line is:
The bank manager says to the teller
”It’s a nick-back, Patty Wack, give the frog a loan.
His Old man’s a Rolling Stone”

I thought about it too, but when I heard it the teller’s name was “Paddy Lack”..

28 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

There is a new chain of cheap shops called Mr D.I.Y.  even one in Pantip mall in Pratunam, second floor back right.  So much cute stuff and so cheap.

It may be a different chain, but I went to my local Mr DIY and got a tin of WD40, while my other local hardware store only has CopyWD40, I forget the name.  

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎16 at 7:04 PM, peterb17 said:

Oh for Heavens Sake

Of course I am sorry you have a disability. The reference was these knives were really sharp- for not much money - we have to spend our lives looking after all the PC crap - I don’t care about your problems .

At least you didn't say it cost an arm AND a leg.

Edited by norrska

10 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

It may be a different chain, but I went to my local Mr DIY and got a tin of WD40, while my other local hardware store only has CopyWD40, I forget the name.  

As I said.   Lots of really cute stuff and cheap

Regarding copy WD40 do you mean Sonax in a yellow aerosol?  I took my wife into Mr DIY for "five minutes" and lost her for an hour and 2000 THB.  Lots of stuff that you previously could never fimd to buy in Thailand.