EU still unhappy with Thai fishing

webfact

EU still unhappy with Thai fishing

By The Nation

c660f315434598811f2aa9da2e91a7cd-sld.jpe

The European Union has kept a yellow flag for Thailand over the country’s illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing problems, a source at the Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry revealed on Wednesday. 

The source said Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Grisada Boonrach was already informed of the results from the EU’s review of Thailand’s performance. 

A delegation from the EU visited Thailand last month to discuss anti-IUU efforts. 

“Two issues behind the EU decision to not upgrade Thailand’s anti-IUU ratings are fleet management and laws enforcement,” the source said.

The EU apparently found discrepancies in boat categorisation at the Marine Department and expects to see strict laws enforcement, efficient management of administrative orders and clear timeframes. 

The source said the EU wanted Thailand to achieve visible progress within four months. 

Since 2015, Thailand has been slapped with a yellow flag for “shortcomings in its fisheries monitoring, control and sanctioning systems”. If the EU were to issue a red flag, Thailand’s seafood exports would be banned by EU members.

Deputy Prime Minister General Chatchai Sarikulya, who oversees a subcommittee on solutions to IUU, said the Fisheries Monitoring Centre (FMC) needed to upgrade its operations and staff. 

“I have also assigned the Command Centre for Combating Illegal Fishing to send five staff to the FMC to help train and monitor the workforce there over the next three months,” Chatchai said. 

He said he also instructed the legal authorities, from the police to public prosecutors and courts, to boost coordination and efficiency. 

“I expect to get clear and positive results by July,” Chatchai said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30345591

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-17
  • Like 1

Thai businesses based in Thailand, follow the engrained Thai acumen.  The fishing situation is one thing, the cosmetic/supplement and FDA fiasco of late is another.   Imagine what goes on behind the scenes, for the thousands of Thai food processing operations...

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The EU apparently found discrepancies in boat categorisation at the Marine Department and expects to see strict laws enforcement, efficient management of administrative orders and clear timeframes. 

There will be no change unless this govt will change. I expected law enforcement when they started to rule the country. A law and order country actually. That is what soldiers could achieve.

However nothing changed to the better. And EU can give 4 months time....the result will be the same.

So the best will be to ban Thailand from exporting fish products to EU for at least one year. Then even we have a new govt. Hopefully.

• Like 1

I no longer buy canned tuna and sardines in Australia it all comes from Thailand.

It's all I can do we cannot rely on the authorities to control this it has to be done by the consumers.

Education of the consumers is required it takes time but can make a difference.

Since 2015, Thailand has been slapped with a yellow flag

Yet another big "fail" for the junta, reluctant to rock the boat of an industry whose record of slavery, graft and murder is a national disgrace. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

I no longer buy canned tuna and sardines in Australia it all comes from Thailand.

It's all I can do we cannot rely on the authorities to control this it has to be done by the consumers.

Education of the consumers is required it takes time but can make a difference.

very big tuna catching and processing plant in Mauritius john west i think, 

8 hours ago, mok199 said:

lawlessness and shamlessness,in a once amazing kingdom...sad

Once amazing. Must have been a long time ago, I've been here for more than 10 years and it hasn't been amazing on any day in that time.

Perhaps I've just been unlucky.

The EU or the government should extend itself to checking the health issues related to Thailand farmed fish. They might just find them loaded up with pesticides, growth hormones, antibiotics, disinfectants and anti-fouling agents. I can't imagine Thai seafood farmers are any different to those land based farmers who throw excesses of chemicals around with great abandon.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

very big tuna catching and processing plant in Mauritius john west i think, 

John West belongs to.......Thai Union Co.,  Samut Sakhon, Thailand

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PREM-R said:

John West belongs to.......Thai Union Co.,  Samut Sakhon, Thailand

That explains all the produce of Thailand on the cans. I have been unable to find canned fish sourced anywhere else.

Ban Thailand fish export to EU.  At the same time ban Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines.  They are all IUU violators.

Within 2050 there will be no fish left in the South China Sea and the Gulf of Thailand.  All these nations are living today and do not think about the future.

9 hours ago, timewilltell said:

The best thing that could happen to Thailand is for the rest of the world to stop toying with them and slap them with sanctions on every area they fail. They fail bevause of the horrendous corruption and with intent to hide the truth. They deserve financial ostracism and through it will come the urgency to tackle the things that truly would benefit their society and make Thailand a much better country for its citizens. 

This softly approach helps no Thai except the criminal and corrupt.

Totally agree with the above post. Whenever and wherever - in whatever sphere of human / animal activity - Thailand is shown to be cheating, law-breaking and lying, other countries should boycott Thailand and thus send a strong signal of intolerance of Thailand's multiple crimes.

• Like 1