Places That Are Fun And Safe To Take Young Kids

chanchao

We took our kid to Europe over the holiday season, and then it kind of struck me: What an incredibly SAFE environment!! There's loads of footpaths / park lanes completely separate from vehicular traffic, zero street dogs (leash is manditory, no rabies, etc.), zero risk at getting bitten by a mosquito and contracting dengue (et al), LOADS of fun and safe stuff to do for kids..

Now compare that to Chiang Mai (or anywhere in Thailand).. You wouldn't really let a kid wander off on his/her own just about anywhere.. Even in buildings/dept stores you simply cannot count on fences etc. actually preventing kids from falling down and killing themselves. Then there's parks... been there recently? Before having kids I never really noticed it, but they're not the cleanest / most well kept are they? Lots of dogs, Weird People, etc.

But let's not complain: Where are GOOD (fun & safe) places to take young kids? Preferably a bit outdoorsy, department stores get old real fast. (to Dad especially :o

So far the list of reasonably clean places where a kid can sit in the grass include Ang Kaew inside CMU, and Montrathan Waterfall. (All the other close-to-town waterfalls have far too many people, drunks, dirt etc.). They're still not totally safe and it's not like there's actually anything to do there, but I'll mention them as a start. Oh yes, Chiang Mai Zoo is ok too. More?

We took our kid to Europe over the holiday season, and then it kind of struck me: What an incredibly SAFE environment!! There's loads of footpaths / park lanes completely separate from vehicular traffic, zero street dogs (leash is manditory, no rabies, etc.), zero risk at getting bitten by a mosquito and contracting dengue (et al), LOADS of fun and safe stuff to do for kids..

Now compare that to Chiang Mai (or anywhere in Thailand).. You wouldn't really let a kid wander off on his/her own just about anywhere.. Even in buildings/dept stores you simply cannot count on fences etc. actually preventing kids from falling down and killing themselves. Then there's parks... been there recently? Before having kids I never really noticed it, but they're not the cleanest / most well kept are they? Lots of dogs, Weird People, etc.

But let's not complain: Where are GOOD (fun & safe) places to take young kids? Preferably a bit outdoorsy, department stores get old real fast. (to Dad especially :o

So far the list of reasonably clean places where a kid can sit in the grass include Ang Kaew inside CMU, and Montrathan Waterfall. (All the other close-to-town waterfalls have far too many people, drunks, dirt etc.). They're still not totally safe and it's not like there's actually anything to do there, but I'll mention them as a start. Oh yes, Chiang Mai Zoo is ok too. More?

Maybe you didn't quite mean it in it's true context but, "they're still not totally safe" but, if you were you won't find any places "totally safe" anywhere in the world and particularly not here in the realm.

Edited by john b good

True. Guess I'll have to reset my expectations to places that are "interesting for kids and not a total guarantee to kill them the second they break a 2 yard perimeter beyond your grasp." :o

Huay Thueng Thao is a nice place, but it's also VERY deep and kids do try to jump off that raft. Then the last time the 1 year old pointed at something 'too' .. 'too'... which turned out to be a small-ish snake swimming around the raft. :D (Sorry, I promise to stop whining.)

Ob Khan is a good suggestion too, indeed, and some fairly clean sand to play in IIRC. (Then again my recollection of 'clean' while I was single often doesn't agree with my current assessment as a responsible father. Weird how one's own perceptions of reality changes so radically while most thing really stay the same.)

Got to agree not much to do for the kids in Chiang Mai compared to the UK.

I can recommend Taweechol Botanic park on the Chiang Mai - Doi saket rd though. It's attached to the Horizon resort and though living down the road from it for nearly year didn't realise the botanic gardens were open to the public. If memory serves me right it didn't cost anymore than 200 baht for a family of four, bring yourself a picnic as the restaurant is pretty naff and you could spend a day here. It's also very well maintained and when I visited there were very few people about

Here's a link from city life

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=1647

WOW...!!!! That looks BRILLIANT!! Exactly what I had in mind.. I'll be there this weekend with the kid. :o

Thanks!!! Is it easy to find? Just drive out to KM 10 on the Doi Saket road and look for a sign Horizon Resort on the left?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

WOW...!!!! That looks BRILLIANT!! Exactly what I had in mind.. I'll be there this weekend with the kid. :o

Thanks!!! Is it easy to find? Just drive out to KM 10 on the Doi Saket road and look for a sign Horizon Resort on the left?

Cheers,

Chanchao

That's right - You can't miss it, it's on the main rd

teach them the skill of taking care of themself .

and this way every where there go are safe .

:o

you can't be there for them every where and forever :D

i would suggest the waterfall near doi suthep is nic and relaxing ..

Just buy a 25 foot leash for your kid. It is the only way your kid will be safe.

My apologies for the above. I was just in a crappy mood most of yesterday, and you got part of it.

Don't feel too bad, at least Ajarn didn't answer your post with, "Bullsh*t!", like he did with mine. :o

Just buy a 25 foot leash for your kid. It is the only way your kid will be safe.

My apologies for the above. I was just in a crappy mood most of yesterday, and you got part of it.

Don't feel too bad, at least Ajarn didn't answer your post with, "Bullsh*t!", like he did with mine. :D

There was a good reason for that... :o

To the OP: If you really think that Thailand is such a dangerous place why in the world would you want to have your kids live here? Unless someone is holding a gun to your head to make you stay I can't think of why you would want to expose them to an environment you think endangers them.

>> Just buy a 25 foot leash for your kid. It is the only way your kid will be safe.

> My apologies for the above. I was just in a crappy mood most of yesterday, and you got part of it.

Oh not at all!! Actually your suggested solution made a lot more sense to me than 'teach them the skill of not killing themselves'. :o

Mine is just over 1 year old, and if I blink she's half way up the stars, on the table, etc.

Edited by chanchao

Chanchao,

Thanks for starting this thread. I also struggle with finding safe, fun and outdoorsy type places to take my two under three year old kids.

I agree that the "teach them to take care of themselves comment" was a bit ridiculous.

Fun and outdoorsy places are plentiful although how you define safe is rather subjective.

Under the assumption that kids that young should never be left unattended, there are countless outdoor spots along the Mae Sa Valley Rd ranging from orchid farms to animal parks such as the elephant camps, monkey shows, etc. The caves at Chiang Dao, which has a nice picnic area, offer some easy guided walks although some of the caves are not for the very young. There are many hot springs and waterfalls within an hour or so drive of the city. There are some Royal Projects adjacent to some minority villages not that far away. Find a Thai friend with family still in living in a rural village and go for a visit as young kids love the animals that are usually found walking about. The Thai countryside is a never ending paradise for young ones and those young at heart.

Anonymouse: THanks *SO* much for that recommendation!!! We went to Tweechol botanical gardens last weekend and it was brilliant!!!! VERY, very nice, clean, perfect. And fun feeding deer and ostriches. :o ( http://www.tweecholbotanicgarden.com/ )

> Find a Thai friend with family still in living in a rural village and go for a visit as

> young kids love the animals that are usually found walking about.

I know a LOVELY hilltribe village, but the Mrs will have none of it.. "What, there's dogs there, with flees, and, and, and....". So I will have to go when the Mrs. is out of town.

(I can't believe I said that... what has become of me, planning wholesome family outings 'when the Mrs. is out of town'....... sigh.. oh well. :D

Edited by chanchao