Bigger bike for 185cm rider

Hello guys,

I used to have manual bikes from 50 to 125cc back in the day (41 now and weigh constant 74kg for many years now), but here I've mainly been driving or using a click and pc-ek for errands (couple of 10k kms) Looking to buy a manual bike again and wife encourages the switch too! Her dad was a biker and so was my dad. Went to Kawasaki Phuket yesterday, but W175, W250(SL) were too small. The W250 (imported from Japan) seemed nice but overpriced. Z300 still shortlisted, but if 300cc, I'd much rather go for the MT-03.

I'd use the bike for commuting and leisure rides on the island and perhaps occasional getaways to Phang-Nga where we also have land. Since the road in between is full of curves, I am not looking for fast rides, but would prefer a smooth, tamed, predictable bike. What do you guys think about the Honda CB500F? Any recommendations in the 300cc range? Or shall I start by a 150cc M-Slaz/Suzuki to get back in shape and switch again?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I have a Honda CB300F. Very pleased with it. It is only a single cylinder but the speed and balance are good. Also in the region of 50k cheaper that both the Z300 and MT-03.

That was on my radar too, but made me uncertain about two things:

1.) single cylinder and can get a bit shaky in a certain RPM range

2.) tends to stuck in neutral?

This Canadian guy has a really nice no frills review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEOzj-4wvNI&list=PLHXVJrvyvn3_9zxJ2uROcjAfZZWXNtEcf&t=0s&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjv_D9zrVkU

Also, how tall are you if I may ask and how's the riding position?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Poppadom said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEOzj-4wvNI&list=PLHXVJrvyvn3_9zxJ2uROcjAfZZWXNtEcf&t=0s&index=2

Thanks.

1 and 2 .... not in my experience.

I am 176cms. Could do with being a little taller to be honest. I think 185 will be comfortable.

You can get 2nd hand CB500F for under 100k nowadays. Very nice bike and easy to handle.

It's a 2 cylinder machine and quite smooth and with enough power to cruise about.

If I return to Thailand it's a bike I'd get.

25 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Versys 650 or if you want something tall and lighter a CRF250 .

Looking for a naked street bike. Wife likes retro-ish look, but says can put up with this as well. 650 is way too powerful for my intended use.

32 minutes ago, CMKiwi said:

You can get 2nd hand CB500F for under 100k nowadays. Very nice bike and easy to handle.

It's a 2 cylinder machine and quite smooth and with enough power to cruise about.

If I return to Thailand it's a bike I'd get.

Just saw a red one for 120k (17,000km on the clock) here in Phuket... Love that bike and read good things about it. Can also be ECU modded:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dynojet-power-commander-v-honda-cbr500r-cb500x-cb500f-2016-2017

2 hours ago, Poppadom said:

Thanks.

Quite a good and fair review. I would have to say that he really didn't give it much of a hard drive. The bike will do 150kmh.

The one in the video is exactly the same as mine. Good bike for a good price. 

I think you would be hard pushed to find a more cramped bike than the Mslag and most of the 300s are pretty small too. Knees in your armpits stuff.

I am 183 and have a CRF250L and that fits me quite well and for a bigger bike the Kawa Vulcan has plenty of room, with lots of adjustment. I thought about one a few years ago, missed opportunity IMO.

22 hours ago, Poppadom said:

Looking for a naked street bike. Wife likes retro-ish look, but says can put up with this as well. 650 is way too powerful for my intended use.

Versys 300

2017-kawasaki-versys-x-300-1.jpg

G 310 GS

2018-BMW-G-310-GS-Review-Adventure-Motorcycle-ADV-4.jpg

Edited by Nickymaster

Depending on what year the CB300F is make sure it has sorted the engine problem , I read there was a big Honda recall due to that a while ago.....

After Hero Monument square on the way to the Phuket airport there is a Benelli shop on the right (a few hundred meters or so I think), check out their TNT 250 and TNT 300 models, you might like the 300, not quite one of the big 4 companies but worth a look at those prices.

I never tried any of these, but on the paper Yamaha MT-03 is hard to beat (2 cylinders, 321cc and ABS etc.).

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

Depending on what year the CB300F is make sure it has sorted the engine problem , I read there was a big Honda recall due to that a while ago.....

After Hero Monument square on the way to the Phuket airport there is a Benelli shop on the right (a few hundred meters or so I think), check out their TNT 250 and TNT 300 models, you might like the 300, not quite one of the big 4 companies but worth a look at those prices.

I never tried any of these, but on the paper Yamaha MT-03 is hard to beat (2 cylinders, 321cc and ABS etc.).

I didn't find the CB300 very big at all, the Kawa twin was better, but although test drives are difficult sitting on the bike will probably solve the size problem.

Sports bikes are hard on the neck and wrists for commuting, but if you are a young bloke, not an issue I guess.

Not sure about your budget, but the 650 Vulcan is one worth sitting on, it almost tempted me, very nice. Easy to ride by all accounts........

Honda CRF 250L good for tall riders, but seat not the best and front wheel with knobbly tires can need care on wet roads.  CRF250M better for road use. Kawasaki x300 is an even better all rounder, and with the taller seat option is better for tall riders, but accessory seat needs to be ordered as not a standard accessory in Thailand.  Honda CB500X is a great all rounder, nice upright seating position, slightly cramped legs for very tall riders, but much more power than a 300.

Enfield may cover your needs, but I'm not sure about reliability?

On 5/20/2018 at 3:39 PM, Kwasaki said:

Versys 650 or if you want something tall and lighter a CRF250 .

I'm 6ft or thereabouts.  Did many enjoyable KMs on my Versys on and off road and I wouldn't hesitate it buying another for its reliability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BBJ said:

I'm 6ft or thereabouts.  Did many enjoyable KMs on my Versys on and off road and I wouldn't hesitate it buying another for its reliability.

I concur Versys 650 excellent bike for tall riders but IMO you need to be a fit strong man, because I was finding the bike heavy along with top heavy with 18 litres of fuel. 

The weight responsibility was getting too much for me and didn't want to find myself dropping it which finding myself off camber a few times nearly happened. 

The CRF250 is tall and with the preload maxed-out is ideal for me now, I can put the bike near ground and lift it back again no problem.  ?

On 5/20/2018 at 4:38 PM, Poppadom said:

Just saw a red one for 120k (17,000km on the clock) here in Phuket... Love that bike and read good things about it. Can also be ECU modded:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dynojet-power-commander-v-honda-cbr500r-cb500x-cb500f-2016-2017

I missed out on a very gd deal about 6 months back.

A guy was selling a 5 yr old 500F for 85k in Korat.  He had done most of the mods to it and added a bit of bling too. Only had 24k on the clock.

Wished to hell I'd bought it but in hindsight as I am about to move back to NZ maybe it's better that I didn't

I will look again if I return in a year.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 12:38 PM, Kwasaki said:

I concur Versys 650 excellent bike for tall riders but IMO you need to be a fit strong man, because I was finding the bike heavy along with top heavy with 18 litres of fuel. 

The weight responsibility was getting too much for me and didn't want to find myself dropping it which finding myself off camber a few times nearly happened. 

The CRF250 is tall and with the preload maxed-out is ideal for me now, I can put the bike near ground and lift it back again no problem.  ?

Agreed the V650 fit tall riders very well but I don't find it a problem balancing it as you mentioned, okay it's heavy for its size but as soon as you are rolling it's fine (for me at least).

I even lowered the foot pegs on mine so it's super comphy now.

12 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Another option for long legs. ?

Versys for balancing was good and I knew it was a heavy weight when out to buy one but go more than a certain angle I couldn't hold it.

Some think I'm daft doing this but I test how far the lean is, for me be able to lift it back with a mattress on the floor. ? 

On 5/24/2018 at 11:11 AM, Kwasaki said:

Another option for long legs. ?

Versys for balancing was good and I knew it was a heavy weight when out to buy one but go more than a certain angle I couldn't hold it.

Some think I'm daft doing this but I test how far the lean is, for me be able to lift it back with a mattress on the floor. ? 

A bike like that will keep you fit. 

Especially if you have to muscle it around gridlocked traffic jams and super tight overcrowded bkk carparks ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like we've found a 2016 CB500F in really nice condition with ~12k kms on the clock. Took it for a ride around the block but don't know what to look out for. Checked the tank, cold start to look out for fumes, funky sounds, if the fan engages or not. Had a look at sprockets and chain, but better have a routine inspection at Honda Bigwing which the owner happily agreed with. Keeping my fingers crossed ?

• Like 2

On 5/30/2018 at 10:16 AM, Poppadom said:

Looks like we've found a 2016 CB500F in really nice condition with ~12k kms on the clock. Took it for a ride around the block but don't know what to look out for. Checked the tank, cold start to look out for fumes, funky sounds, if the fan engages or not. Had a look at sprockets and chain, but better have a routine inspection at Honda Bigwing which the owner happily agreed with. Keeping my fingers crossed ?

Bought it today. Honda Bigwing said it was in really really good shape! After that got the transfer done in an hour at the transportation office.

Have a quick question though. Came with two keys per below, this is all I should have key-wise right? I mean no 3rd key? Thanks

P_20180604_192357_copy.jpg

Agreed the V650 fit tall riders very well but I don't find it a problem balancing it as you mentioned, okay it's heavy for its size but as soon as you are rolling it's fine (for me at least).

Guzzi,

How did you go about lowering the footpegs?
I am 194cm and although I'm pretty comfortable on my Versys, it's something I'd look into. ..

Sent from my SM-N910C using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

never saw a razer i could fit onto but i got no issues fitting on a chopper,

some are dumb built tho so sit on it first and make sure exhaust

cant touch thy foot or leg.

as an extra bonus no one is invited to study your arse as you ride down the soi

4 hours ago, bigsteve said:

Guzzi,

How did you go about lowering the footpegs?
I am 194cm and although I'm pretty comfortable on my Versys, it's something I'd look into. ..

Sent from my SM-N910C using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I found a lowering kit in the US specific for the V. Shipping was actually the same as the kit as I recall, it's a while ago I got them.

• Like 1