Hiv medication for European with work permit

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, kopite said:
6 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:
I thought all prostitutes have to be tested from time to time/ 

By who? The bars? That's just a myth

Back in the old days, I've met quite a few girls who had to go for an HIV test and needed a stamp on a card that they were negative. 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

On your first point, my UK STI doctor said it was very low risk. Have you looked at the numbers?

It may be low risk if you had sex with a female in the UK , because they are unlikely to be hiv + , the risk will be higher , if the feamle was more likely to be hiv + (Thai bargirl) 

Back in the old days, I've met quite a few girls who had to go for an HIV test and needed a stamp on a card that they were negative. 

There were several bars that used to impose this. But it wasnt a goverment scheme. Also, most of this was probably in the hands of the mamasan and I'm sure a 1000 baht note in the hands of a small clinic would give you the correct stamp.  

2 minutes ago, kopite said:
10 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

There were several bars that used to impose this. But it was a goverment scheme. Also, most of this was probably in the hands of the mamasan and I'm sure a 1000 baht in the hands of a small clinic would give you the correct stamp.

Or a positive girl gave her ID card to another girl her age. A long time ago, they looked pretty similar anyway. No big ones. 

P.S. Small clinics do almost all for money. 

But if your friend is still in Europe, he should know his virus count per ml, and the amount of CD 4. It's very important to know these two factors to be able to give the right medication.

Defiantely. A uk national and his wife were recently diagnosed in Thailand and they didn't want to check their viral load. I think you have to pay extra and it takes a few weeks to get the results. But knowing your viral load is just as important as knowing your CD4 count.

32 minutes ago, kopite said:

Defiantely. A uk national and his wife were recently diagnosed in Thailand and they didn't want to check their viral load. I think you have to pay extra and it takes a few weeks to get the results. But knowing your viral load is just as important as knowing your CD4 count.

It's sad that the viral load isn't done once a year. They only check CD 4's every six months. But it wasn't always like that. I remember when Thai authorities brought HIV positive kids to a place near Nong Kai, where a foreign priest started a project to help HIV/Aids victims.

The medicine at this time was very expensive and not available at hospitals. I'll never forget the kids we met at Sarnelli house and the stories. They had to cremate two kids on the same day, but nobody from their family turned up.

Three girls/women in my wife's village died a terrible death when medicine wasn't available. One mother refused to wash her own daughter because she thought she'd get the virus from any contact with her body. 

People with HIV were thrown out of villages, I better stop here. 

http://sarnelliorphanage.org/

Of course that is possible due to the 3 month window, many people don't understand that, and by the way many HIV tests available at smaller clinics incl Soi Buakhao are passed to hospitals for testing such at Bangkok Pattaya hospital

Indeed, likely the 3 month window effect with people tested in Thailand and then later back in UK mostly being tourists who test immediately post exposure here, which is way too soon to show anything.

In addition, many may be going to the dubious stand alone "STD clinics" in Pattaya, Bangkok etc and these often do not really perform a test at all, just take the money and tell people it is negative.

There is no problem at all with the quality of testing done in hospitals or at places like the Thai Red Cross anonymous clinic. The latter is preferred because in addition to testing they will take an exposure history and give accurate advice/counselling, often the hospitals just do the test without first finding out when the last exposure was and giving appropriate advice.

Indeed, likely the 3 month window effect with people tested in Thailand and then later back in UK mostly being tourists who test immediately post exposure here, which is way too soon to show anything.

In addition, many may be going to the dubious stand alone "STD clinics" in Pattaya, Bangkok etc and these often do not really perform a test at all, just take the money and tell people it is negative.

There is no problem at all with the quality of testing done in hospitals or at places like the Thai Red Cross anonymous clinic. The latter is preferred because in addition to testing they will take an exposure history and give accurate advice/counselling, often the hospitals just do the test without first finding out when the last exposure was and giving appropriate advice.

They still use the Elisa Test though. Not the Western Blot test. There are lots of people in Thailand that are HIV+ that wouldn't be HIV+ in the West. Due to the fact that most people aren't given the western bloc test because of its cost.

It may be low risk if you had sex with a female in the UK , because they are unlikely to be hiv + , the risk will be higher , if the feamle was more likely to be hiv + (Thai bargirl) 

If you look at the risks which i hope you have, based on sex with an HIV+ person, anal receptive and anal insertive are much higher risk than vaginal insertive

Yes and also because in Thailand if you get a HIV screening it will be the Elisa Test followed by another Elisa if the first one was positive. You only get the western blot test if your second Elisa is negative. The Elisa is just a screening test that isn't 100% reliable.

In Europe and USA you get an Elisa followed by a western blot for confirmation.
Not necessarily, you can get the P24 Antigen test in Thailand easy enough

I think that's just a myth that people keep repeating. You have any hard proof of that? The results should look official and probably be from a local hospital

Not necessarily, you can get the P24 Antigen test in Thailand easy enough
"The p24 antigen test can detect the p24 proteinon average 10 to 14 days after infection with HIV.2,3,11,12 One drawback of this test is that levels of the p24 protein peak at around three to four weeks after exposure to HIV and are usually not detectable after five to six weeks (and sometimes even earlier)."

"The p24 antigen test can detect the p24 proteinon average 10 to 14 days after infection with HIV.2,3,11,12 One drawback of this test is that levels of the p24 protein peak at around three to four weeks after exposure to HIV and are usually not detectable after five to six weeks (and sometimes even earlier)."
I'm glad you can use google. The point was you were banging on about them always giving the Elisa test. Its up to the person

That's most likely incorrect about a few weeks. I'm pretty confident the Thai Red Cross would test very quickly
I won't copy and paste someone else's posts from a different forum, but after diagnosis in which his wife was hospitalized they didn't check the viral load. They then paid for it and it took 3 weeks to get the results.

http://www.thebody.com/content/30024/hiv-transmission.html

How Is HIV Passed From One Person to Another?

You can get or transmit HIV only through specific activities. Most commonly, people get or transmit HIV through sexual behaviors and needle or syringe use.
Only certain body fluids -- blood, semen (cum), pre-seminal fluid (pre-cum), rectal fluids, vaginal fluids, and breast milk -- from a person who has HIV can transmit HIV. These fluids must come in contact with a mucous membrane or damaged tissue or be directly injected into the bloodstream (from a needle or syringe) for transmission to occur. Mucous membranes are found inside the rectum, vagina, penis, and mouth.
In the United States, HIV is spread mainly by
  • Having anal or vaginal sex with someone who has HIV without using a condom or taking medicines to prevent or treat HIV.
    • Anal sex is the highest-risk sexual behavior. For the HIV-negative partner, receptive anal sex (bottoming) is riskier than insertive anal sex (topping).
    • Vaginal sex is the second-highest-risk sexual behavior.
This is better, not as vague1528228942983.jpeg1528228953334.jpeg

I'm glad you can use google. The point was you were banging on about them always giving the Elisa test. Its up to the person
The p24 test is just a screening test, it wouldn't be used as confirmation of the diagnosis in the West because it isn't conclusive enough.

I won't copy and paste someone else's posts from a different forum, but after diagnosis in which his wife was hospitalized they didn't check the viral load. They then paid for it and it took 3 weeks to get the results.
Like i said you need to go to the correct place like Thai Red Cross. Depends on the hospital what they can do

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's most likely incorrect about a few weeks. I'm pretty confident the Thai Red Cross would test very quickly

I believe that the Memorial in Pattaya is doing a test that shows the current status.

Keep up the google searches its increasing your knowledge
Sound. You keep posting the same pic on various threads about how hard it is to be infected and we can all go back to thinking it's the 80s.

On 6/7/2018 at 9:35 PM, Sheryl said:

Dangerous and delusional.

Most of the TV members I know of who acquired HIV here - and there are a number - did so through heterosexual sex. As did many of the infected Thai males.

All I can say is this, before meeting my wife, I had hundreds of one-night stands since I was 17 and I think HIV awareness can around when I was about 18-years old.  I used a condom ONE time which was my first sexual experience at 17 years of age.  It was so awful, I never used a condom again, and that was 1979.  I am now 56 and due to my superbike injury, I have gone through 14-16 surgeries at Ramathibodi where they insist on HIV testing be included with the regular bloodwork.  Also, as I take a LOT of meds for pain, joint problems, for neuropathic pain in my right shoulder that no longer has soft tissue left, etc., so the doctors insist on bloodwork every 3-6 months and I always ask them to throw in an HIV test with the kidney, liver, and RBC counts.  Have always tested negative .... yet, I slept with really questionable girls.

If sexual contact or exchange of bodily fluids really, truly, 100% caused HIV infection and subsequently AIDS, I WOULD be dead by now.  This means all the girls who do BBJ are in danger of HIV infection and basically ALL oral sex would provide a highly effective route of transmission, yet very few ever get HIV.  Thus, either I have some awesome immune system, despite being plagued with IBS since I was about 20, easily get travelers diarrhea for many years, and suffer from extreme anxiety (controlled by meds) due to a severe Type A personality and always talking 5-6 projects at a time.  

I did 2 years medical school at YALE after my Doctorate in Law, but stopped studying for my MD as my salary at my Japanese company I started while in Law School was doing so well, I knew I could never go be a resident at a hospital until I commanded even 20% of my Japanese company salary where we worked for Black&Decker, DeWalt, Bosch, Stanley Tools, ESTWING hammers, and most of the large American power and hand tool companies opening their first sales offices in Japan in the 90's and importing and warehousing their tools.  So, it's not like I am medically ignorant.  However, I do have my doubts about the transmission of HIV and so does Dr. Rosenberg at UCLA medical school.

However, back to the thread: I work with the Thai Red Cross on a project basis and have had friends ask me about their friends or relatives in Thailand obtaining HIV meds at Thai Red Cross.  The previous poster is correct.  If you believe the HIV drug therapy is required, it is very inexpensive to obtain your meds at the Thai Red Cross. 

All I can say is this, before meeting my wife, I had hundreds of one-night stands since I was 17 and I think HIV awareness can around when I was about 18-years old.  I used a condom ONE time which was my first sexual experience at 17 years of age.  It was so awful, I never used a condom again, and that was 1979.  I am now 56 and due to my superbike injury, I have gone through 14-16 surgeries at Ramathibodi where they insist on HIV testing be included with the regular bloodwork.  Also, as I take a LOT of meds for pain, joint problems, for neuropathic pain in my right shoulder that no longer has soft tissue left, etc., so the doctors insist on bloodwork every 3-6 months and I always ask them to throw in an HIV test with the kidney, liver, and RBC counts.  Have always tested negative .... yet, I slept with really questionable girls.

If sexual contact or exchange of bodily fluids really, truly, 100% caused HIV infection and subsequently AIDS, I WOULD be dead by now.  This means all the girls who do BBJ are in danger of HIV infection and basically ALL oral sex would provide a highly effective route of transmission, yet very few ever get HIV.  Thus, either I have some awesome immune system, despite being plagued with IBS since I was about 20, easily get travelers diarrhea for many years, and suffer from extreme anxiety (controlled by meds) due to a severe Type A personality and always talking 5-6 projects at a time.  

I did 2 years medical school at YALE after my Doctorate in Law, but stopped studying for my MD as my salary at my Japanese company I started while in Law School was doing so well, I knew I could never go be a resident at a hospital until I commanded even 20% of my Japanese company salary where we worked for Black&Decker, DeWalt, Bosch, Stanley Tools, ESTWING hammers, and most of the large American power and hand tool companies opening their first sales offices in Japan in the 90's and importing and warehousing their tools.  So, it's not like I am medically ignorant.  However, I do have my doubts about the transmission of HIV and so does Dr. Rosenberg at UCLA medical school.

However, back to the thread: I work with the Thai Red Cross on a project basis and have had friends ask me about their friends or relatives in Thailand obtaining HIV meds at Thai Red Cross.  The previous poster is correct.  If you believe the HIV drug therapy is required, it is very inexpensive to obtain your meds at the Thai Red Cross. 
Or you could be in the lucky 1% who are immune from the virus. Or maybe the variables worked in your favour each and every time you had sex with someone who was HIV+.

Someone could sleep with 1000 people and not contact the virus. It could also take just one person. As scuba posted above, having sex with newly infected people raises the risk by x26...1 in 3 chance. That is a huge number if you are having sex with prostitutes, especially prostitutes who use drugs and drink and are careless about the male using a condom. As I said previously, someone who is newly infected and doesn't have seroconversion symptoms could quite easily infect lots of people very quickly, even by simple "normal" heterosexual activity.

So experts and facts isn't what you want. Fair enough ignore them
I can't work out if we are both saying the same things or not! [emoji23]

Facts are great, but what you posted are odds. Do you know how many times I've heard "it ain't easy to get" "it's the gays, and druggies that get it" "you've got to be really unlucky to get it".

Some of that is true. But them stats are predominately for western countries. Once you factor in prostitution, alcohol and drugs, those odds change significantly. Having other STD's hugely increases the odds as well. I always user to wonder why so many jumped to their death in pattaya. Makes you think.

I didn't get involved in this thread because I wanted to antoganise anybody or start an argument. The OP mentioned that there friend was advised to go back to the UK. That's sound advice as far as I'm concerned, yes you will get treatment in Thailand, but you will get treatment on another level in the UK. There is as many variables in HIV treatment as there are in HIV infection.

5 minutes ago, kopite said:

Or you could be in the lucky 1% who are immune from the virus. Or maybe the variables worked in your favour each and every time you had sex with someone who was HIV+.

Someone could sleep with 1000 people and not contact the virus. It could also take just one person. As scuba posted above, having sex with newly infected people raises the risk by x26...1 in 3 chance. That is a huge number if you are having sex with prostitutes, especially prostitutes who use drugs and drink and are careless about the male using a condom. As I said previously, someone who is newly infected and doesn't have seroconversion symptoms could quite easily infect lots of people very quickly, even by simple "normal" heterosexual activity.

Quite true, I could be the rare case of immunity, despite being stricken with every other annoying illness or disorder known to man. First sinus migraine at 5-years old, GAD diagnosed in 2nd grade and placed on tranqs to reduce my daily headaches. IBS starting in my early 20's, seborrheic dermatitis on elbows, groin area (any area under physical or emotion pressure), et al.  I moved from country to country starting new companies from 1991 on, so I would often lose contact with girls I had sex with (basically a different girl every night back then ... I am not proud of that fact now, but at the time, being blond, blue eyes, and mistaken for Kiefer Sutherland in Asia, especially in Japan where the series "24" had serious groupies, gave me too much opportunity.  Also, my salary afforded me imported luxury cars, flying around the world on my client's dime, etc.... my Japanese company office revenue was around $150,000,000 USD by 1995 with 156 employees, up from 5 in 1991 ? ) but would hear some rumors through the grapevine in pre-Internet days (although being a university professor part-time gave me a DARPA type .edu account by 1986), and I went untested for 10+ years before I decided it might be nice just to confirm my suspicions that I had never contracted anything.  Full disclosure: I never even had a simple STD, never.  I have no idea why, but I never had one.  

However, I understand your position on the data presented (although I do have some issues with those studies), and can appreciate your concern for your health.  Keep in mind, condoms, used correctly, only reduce pregnancies by 80%, and most guys do NOT use a condom 100% correctly.  Touch the wrong place before placing the condom on and you have already contaminated the situation and reduced the condoms' alleged effectiveness. 

1 hour ago, kopite said:
Keep up the google searches its increasing your knowledge

Sound. You keep posting the same pic on various threads about how hard it is to be infected and we can all go back to thinking it's the 80s.

Ummm, who are you referring to?  Should not be me.  This is my first post about my sexual past. 

5 minutes ago, kopite said:

That's sound advice as far as I'm concerned, yes you will get treatment in Thailand, but you will get treatment on another level in the UK. There is as many variables in HIV treatment as there are in HIV infection.

I have found that the main concern of many medical practices in Thailand is to sell you as many drugs as possible and for as long as possible , rather than to give you the correct medication .

Archived